ADPS and Exp Gain

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hayzeus, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Hayzeus Augur

I have a question about exp gain for the ADPS crowd. I was under the impression that in order to gain a toon's full share of the experience pie for any one mob, they had to do at least 1 point of damage to the mob in question. How does this work for ADPS toons that support the group, but don't actually do physical damage directly to the mob?

My curiousity was piqued because of something I noticed this past weekend:

Zone: Sarith, City of Tides (T2 voa)
    Group makeup:
    100 Necro
    100 Cleric Merc
    88 Pally
    88 Bard

I'm pulling and killing with the necro. The pally is nuking once (lol) to get his 1 point of damage, and the bard is constantly singing a support medley (hp and mana regen, plus I think nuke augment). I have a second medley for DoT support, but I'm not sure which I was running this weekend. I am fairly sure it was the DD support, but then he's augmenting the pally nuke (either way, he's adps for some form of damage).

I'm set up outside the building in the SouthWest'ish corner where there are 6 - 7 named available (farming spell gems and items for the two lowbies). I'm not really burning anything, but I've got a decent rotation that keeps all the PH cycling. It's approximately 16 mobs per rotation before the first ones start spawning again.

The pally died twice throughout the day (standard merc rez), and the bard did not die at all.
    The bard burned through two Adventure Potions, and the pally did not.

I would have thought that the bard would have gained a significant amount of experience above the pally, but at the end of the day, she was only 4% ahead of the paladin.

Now, I know there might be some variables that I'm neglecting to mention, but I think I have all the pertinent information here. I'm curious why the experience gain delta wasn't larger between the two lowbies. Given that the bard had a full hour or Adventure Potions above the paladin (and the pally twice whereas the bard did not), shouldn't the bard's experience bar be much farther ahead of the Pally? I would have thought at least 20% or more. 4% more with two pally deaths... doesn't feel quite right. Could it be because the bard was never doing that 1 single point of direct damage on the mob?

So, how does ADPS and that whole "1 point of damage" work?
  2. sojero One hit wonder

Clerics get full share and many never do any damage. There is code in the game so that you get credit if in group, you do not actually have to do anything once inside of the group.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Filatal Augur

First off, completely disregard the 1 point of damage thing. That isn't true and hasn't ever been true, unless you are talking about old school pets taking the lion share of the xp unless the owner had done some damage. I don't recall all the ins and outs of that and I am pretty sure that was removed a long time ago.

As to the actual disparity, I am not 100% sure, but one possible issue is the 100 necro and the 100 merc are taking most of the xp, so there wasn't much xp left over to be modded by the xp potion. Kind of a stab in the dark there.

Other question, is one getting fellowship xp and the other one not?
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. feiddan Augur

As others have said, the "1 point of damage" thing is mostly urban legend (EQ is full of these).

It was relevant in regards to pets, both summoned and charmed - those each had several iterations of separate experience rules. But it's not relevant in today's game.
  5. Benzarden Augur

Brings back so many memories of charming in the pit in PoTactics. So much fun. A hasted frenzied initiate with pet weps was literally (figuratively) a buzzsaw.
  6. dc88 Journeyman

Were all toons set on 100% xp, or were some on AA xp?
  7. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Lemme guess: Halfling Paladin?
  8. sojero One hit wonder

the one point of damage comes from power leveling with damage shields. You have to do 1 point of damage before the damage shield kills the mob or you do not get credit and therefore xp for the mob. Cleric reverse DS works differently btw.
    Yinla and Iila like this.
  9. Hayzeus Augur

Okay, I definitely see why I would be confused about the 1 point of damage. As a necro, I probably knew that I would lose the xp to my pet unless I did a single point of damage along the way. Over the years, my old brain just muddled the details.

All experience on the lowbies is set to 100% xp (no aa), and fellowship sharing is not currently enabled.

The comment about the 100 characters taking the lion share may be part of the problem. I suppose I could test this by using the lvl 88 merc of one of the lowbies. Over the course of a number of hours of killing, each of the lowbie toons only gained a total of 60-70% of one level (no level dings at all), so there definitely doesn't seem to be a huge amount of XP flowing between the two. The necro, on the other hand, did ding 10+ AA, so maybe the two 100 level characters are hogging all the xp. I will have to try the level 88 cleric merc to see if it can keep up with the VoA named.

lol, the Pally is a froggy. I called him Leapster (is that trademarked?)

The bard is a Vah Shir. I called her Bardolomeow
    (omg I love this name and thought I was so witty when I came up with it).
    Obiziana likes this.
  10. Brohg Augur

Great bard name :)
  11. Ravengloome Augur

I play a halfling paladin =/
  12. Kacman Augur

Then that is why the pally earns faster xp than the bard.

Halflings still have the racial xp bonus. The racial negatives, on large races, were removed years ago but the bonus for halflings is still in place.
  13. Nylrem Augur

I realize you were after drops as much as you were XP, but if you are after the best xp gain you can get for the lowbies, pick a spot you can just solo with the necro.

Personally, I don't gear any alts til 92 now, when good baz gear becomes usable.

IMO, you should just drag them along as you solo HAs with the necro (true solo, don't need a merc sucking up xp for many of the HAs, on a necro). This will probably gain them half of a level per HA at their level and allow them to start saving coin for gear now.
  14. Khoza Augur

It might also come from people watching Faction. You can sit AFK in a group all day long while your group kills, and not get any faction. Attack the mob, though, (or heal a group member), and you get the hit.