Viable duos with one 1-click char

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Newbie Again, May 19, 2014.

1. Newbie Again Journeyman

Hi all.
    I don't like boxing but I find myself playing at times when there aren't many people around. I'm looking into duos that can be played OK with the second char being just a buff bot or a 1-click wonder. Ideally, I would only play the main class and rarely use the second class or, maybe, just use it to cast a single macro per fight.
    The classes I am considering for main chars are rogue, monk, druid, necro and maybe wizard.
    I do not want to play a tank class, cleric, mage or zerker.
    What classes would do well with those? I assume that a bard will be great for the monk/rogue, maybe a shaman for the same classes, wiz or enc for the druid?
    All suggestions will be considered, as well as having 2 classes to switch between as needed (eg, bard and shaman for the melee chars).
  2. Nurfz Journeyman

So, a few tried and true duos (some more interactive than others) are:
    - Beastlord/Druid
    - Mage/Enchanter
    - SK/Sham or Monk/Sham

However, I would say Necromancer/Bard has a great deal of potential as Bards can be most useful when just weaving songs. The downside is that, obviously, there is a bit of overlap between the Necro and Bard. In my experience, boxing a class that will be "tanking" (not a tank class) and the class that is healing that tank can be a bit much.

In terms of raw power, however, I find Mage/Enchanter to be pretty much an unstoppable powerhouse with the Enchanter (while a very capable actively played class) can contribute a great deal with minimal input.
  3. Dibab Augur

I use a pally necro and works really well for me. can 2 box most named as long as they dont do anything too crazy
  4. Walkka New Member

If you play with mercs you might want to try chanter / necro.

I am new to boxing, and only decided to do it because I am levelling a chanter on a server where there are no chances of grouping below lvl 90. I find this combo to be pleasant to play and quite efficient. Currently this team is lvl 61.

Typical scenario: chanter / necro / tank merc / healer merc

- Pull with chanter, debuff resists with Tash (or with necro if chances of too many adds)

- Mob gets to camp, merc picks agro, chanter starts casting cripple

- Switch to necro, use resist debuff if mob is high con or very resistant, or go directly to my simple macro: each line of the macro is something like " /pause 40, /cast 1 " with a /sit on the last line. This allows the necro to cast 4 dots by itself and then sit down.

- Switch back to chanter, slow mob if needed, and nuke as required.

- If mob has lots of hp, refresh DOTs with necro using same macro.

- Once you get the hang of it you can vary this a bit, and go pull another mob with the chanter while the first mob is getting killed. Remember to setup "role puller" so your merc dsoesnt follow you around. With a bit of timing, you can then have the next mob at camp, ready to be engaged just when previous mobs dies. If you pull too early you can mez it and debuff while waiting for the other one to die.

What I like about this combo:
    - Chanter buffs for everyone! mana regen / haste
    - Mobs debuff / slow
    - Good crowd control: chanter mez
    - Can split pull with Necro FD if needed
    - Reasonably simple to manage
    - Decent sustained DPS with not too much overlap

What I don't like:
    - Both character competing for the same gear, makes it a bit harder to update gear than if they were using different types or armour (new to server / non twinked)

I am sure others will have a lot more advanced strategies, but for my simple mind this works well. I may also face problems at higher levels that I am not aware of now, but this is definitely good till 60s.
  5. Sebbina Augur

I consider a mage to be the best 1 click support class, just send the pet, or have a macro to send the pet followed by string of nukes, and it has the bonus to CoTH in most zones to rescue your main or help to split pulls - all of which I use my mage with my druid main. Your suggested preferred main classes would work well with the addition of a mage pet as an extra tank/DPS, add a healer merc and a tank merc and non of your prime choices will be tanking, the rogue and monk will be doing DPS from behind, necro pet will add DPS while the necro burns, and a wizard does what wizards do, with the advantage of ports. You really need to decide what class you most want as a main, and then consider how you are going to pull without having trains.
    I use several comps and have an array of characters, Mage, Enchanter, Druid (puller), Cleric, and a second mage as a 1 click bonus, with 2 hands flying I can click whichever action I think is needed, also I can split into 2 groups with mercs, for named mobs. There are of course a lot of duo combos to choose from, but the preferred mains and the 1 click secondary will limit choices. There is one downside to duo-ing, as at some point you might think of going 3 box and having 3 mercs to support, so I suggest you give thought now to your main and support, plus what you might like as 3rd, with a high end computer able to handle 3 accounts running, an enchanter for a second set of one clicks, plus buffs, or if you choose a non porter as your main, a 3rd druid/wizard means faster getting around and eventual teleport to bind to one favored zone. My suggestion is think twice or three times on what you think you would most prefer as a main, and then consider how best to support it.
  6. Borek-VS Augur

One click wonders (dps): mage, wizard, necro to a slightly lesser extent.
    Buff bots: shaman, bard. Cleric, but too much overlap with healer merc buffs. Maybe enchanter, for some groups.
  7. Pelrond Elder

I have found that pretty much any caster who can buff is a good match with a tankish sort. Enc/Ranger, Enc/Mage, Druid/Ranger, Shaman/SK. I have duoed all those and they work fine. Have a buff macro and a blast macro for the caster and fight with the fghter.
  8. Sebbina Augur

Uh, the OP listed -rogue, monk, druid, necro and maybe wizard- as current preferred main, and my comments have been trying to work within that list. Obviously there are a lot of combos that work well, but, the more we digress from the assistance that is desired, the greater any confusion in making a decision will become. It is possible later at level 75-90 or so when the aspects of the class choices become much more clear, and a possible change will be made - fortunately that isn't a problem as this is Everquest.
  9. silku Augur

What you are looking for is a bard, melody and play your main.
  10. Goodnews Augur

I agree with Siku... Bard. I can not speak on the other options, but from personal experience, I use the bard to pull, stand behind the merc tank, start my /melody using amplification +4 songs and go over to my other monitor.
    I just run two instances of the game off my computer using two monitors and full screen-windowed EQ. It seems to work fine.
  11. Marshall Maathers Augur

12. Crowd Controller New Member

(replying from the wrong account, I just can't remember my password)
    Thanks for the replies, guys. As Sebbina mentioned, my list of possible mains is kind of set in stone, so no tanks, no mages and, after playing him a bit, no wizards either.
    In the end, what I am going to do is:

Duo 1: Rogue + Bard
    Duo 2: Monk + Shaman
    (I can switch the support chars around if needed or even 3 box supports).
    Duo 3: Druid + Necro
    For this last duo I will sometimes play the druid as main and sometimes the necro, depending on the mood. The annoyance is that I will have to start a new necro, as they're on the same account but hey, so is life :)
    Again, thanks a lot for the replies.
  13. Quatr Augur

Your life is on the same account? Just start a new one! :)
  14. Kekenewah Journeyman

Wizard as main and mage as secondary one click macro character. Cleric merc and caster dps merc. Very easy. Pull mob with wizard with snare or just with staff of temperate flux back to waiting mage pet. Mage sends in pet who takes aggro and starts to tank. Start blasting with wizard along with caster merc and mage nuking via macro. Cleric merc keeps mage pet alive. Rinse and repeat. Add a second mage with another pet on a third account and things really die fast.
  15. Dabrixmgp Augur

Id go with Mage and Bard. Use Wiz+Cleric Merc or double Cleric Merc for named. The only thing a mage cant do is pull and bard takes care of that.
  16. withteeth Journeyman

Pretty sure the OP has said more than once, NO MAGE. Then he said after some time playing a wizard there would be no wizard, yet you keep posting about mages and wizards, way to follow and discern the conversation. Kids today... Back to the OP. I know you said you could switch between your support classes, but I would suggest sticking the bard with both your ranger and monk, he will provide much better ADPS and can do some amazing things to save you in a pinch, also the best puller in the game, bar none. Good luck, enjoy and know once you have a 100 bard, you have the best solo class in game for xp as well /grins at life.
  17. pk76 Augur

humm so easy to pull with COH , i am very used to coh pull with my shm combined with COH for fast non stop kills.

even easier with snare,,pull as many as you want and snare on way back ( with aa cheetah run speed ) and be coh, all the snared mobs stand there doing nothing and just need to grab them
  18. Newbie Again Journeyman

Thanks Withteeth, I am sure people just don't read posts (me included) :)
    I do not want a mage or wizard. I know they're ideal for boxing but I don't like them.
    Regarding the bard, I do have a 100 bard, I know how much they enhance everybody but my idea is to play the other chars (notice that all my chars can pull more or less), that's why i want a single click wonder :)
  19. Dabrixmgp Augur

Id go Necro and Druid then. You will have a DoT crazy insane duo that can port. 2 wiz mercs since healing is worthless when u dont get hit. Just set up Druid Socials to cast DoT1, pause for cast time, cast DoT2, pause, cast DoT3...etc. 2 social banks should probably cover all of their spells. Havent played my Druid in a while but cant they debuff Fire? More bonus to Necro right there. Shaman can DoT as well but I dont think they are as good as a Druid in this type of group. Slow is only good for a named but in a 2 Box situation you can pop double healer merc and slow isnt needed. Druid can just root park any adds. Also I think Shaman would be a lot more work than a Druid. Also Wood Elf is hotter than Troll

I think Enchanter and Druid would be pretty fun. Chanter is the only class I have never played but it seems like they would work good with a Druid, especially if u can find a high level zone with animals.
  20. Newbie Again Journeyman

Yeah, druids can debuff fire and their attack debuffs are quite decent.

That's one of the duos I am gonna play, the only annoyance is that I have to level a necro from scratch, as my necro (86) is on the same account as my druid (93).

Someone on my server even suggested necro/durid/shaman for maximum dotting, I might try that too :)