Failed harder than in any other game post Heroic.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by AguaPurificata, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Icaen Elder

What is your character name OP??

I have been on Luclin all day today and have not gotten a PM or seen any wizard newbs asking for help in General chat.
  2. Tornicade_IV Augur

Ill be glad to take you on some hotzone task and get your level back and theres about 5 other people on here offering to help you with wizard and general info
    just type /friend <players name> . then you can /w all friend to see when we are on.
  3. Gialana Augur

It sounds like you are using "translocate" teleportation spells and "invisibility." Both of these spell gems have red borders, which means they'll act or try to act on whoever you have targeted.

If you want to teleport yourself, you're better off using the spells which have "gate" in their name (except, perhaps the spell whose name is gate as this will take you to your bind point, which may not be where you are wanting to go). The gate line of spells have a yellow border for their spell gems. It doesn't matter what have targeted; these spells will only affect you. You can also use the line of spells that have "portal" in their name. These will have a purple border, which means they'll work on your group, if you're grouped with other player characters.

Depending on your settings, you may have to target yourself or someone in your group to get the purple-gemmed spells to work on your group.

If you are using the spell called "invisibility," this is a red spell gem so it will only cast the spell on you if you have yourself targeted. However, you have other (better) spells to invis yourself. "Improved Invisibility" is a self only spell and has a fixed duration (it won't fade early like "invisibility" can). "Phased March" and "Nethervoid March" are group versions of "Improved Invisibility" with the second have a slightly longer duration.
  4. dc88 Journeyman

You may also consider using the perfected invisibility AA. Hit "V" to bring up your AA window. Select the class tab and highlight perfected invisibility. Then click the make hotbutton window and put it on your hotbar. No need to mem the spell after that...just hit the hotbar button
  5. AguaPurificata New Member

Hello again everyone, this morning was the first opportunity I've had to get back on again so that's why my reply Is a bit late.

My characters name is "Terciel" on Luclin; I'll be on-off most of the day (and probably the week) In crescent reach trying out spells and compiling data on kiting and agro reduction;
    I will also try to systematically go through these posts and add those who listed their character names;
    Trips to hot-zones (to show me where to go, but even more if you want to help me get back my level + get into the swing of high level fighting) would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I'm really hoping to make this stay pleasant, as I'm going to work hard at getting from 84-100 before I decide on my next course of action; I do love the challenge, its a bout of mental stimulus that is much needed, and further clearly missing, at least in this field.

Thanks again!
  6. moogs Augur

OP, I'm on Luclin. When you're done with the tutorial and have checked out some videos such as Dandin's series, feel free to /who all moogs for some assistance.
    Dandin likes this.
  7. Kekenewah Journeyman

It would have been much easier if you had made a mage for what your are looking for. To solo as a wizard you have to find non summoning mobs and have a large area empty of other mobs to kite. You also have to find mobs that can be snared so they don't catch you. The best area to kite around your level is the worgs in Loping Plains. If you were a mage you could use your pet to tank mobs and your mercenary cleric to keep your pet alive. Then you could nuke while the pet is tanking, just don't steal aggro.
  8. Fluid Augur

There's several things you learn while in the tutorial which is why so many people are suggesting it. In another thread someone mentioned about 50 pages of spellbook is daunting. For the most part the way EQ works is you have 3-4 good spells that are upgraded as you level. Only maybe the last 5 pages of your spellbook will be important.

All characters get the special ability 'Origin' at level 5. You quickly learn to use gate/origin/transport as a strategic retreat.

You also get the basic strategy for running your character i.e. root and shoot, root and rot, that kind of thing. It's different for every character.

There's also a dozens of quests to run so you learn the basics of questing.

There's no experience loss for the first 6 or so levels.

It only takes a day to run the Tutorial. I think the last character I ran though it killed every monster and completed every quest in less then four and half hours.

It won't teach you how to play a level 85 character but it will give you a painless way to see which way the wind blows in EQ.

And don't sweat losing a level. You don't lose AA's which in many ways are more important and quite time consuming to gather. There may not be a long term player here who has never lost a level. I wouldn't make a practice of it. I hate it when it happens to me. You always get the level back eventually.
  9. Naugrin Augur

10. Rauven Augur

My recommendation, and I'm not trying to be smart, is to shelve the wizard for a bit and roll a new character. There's just some things you need to learn through trial and error that you're not going to learn when the mobs come at you and 2 shot you.

Before heroic characters I had 80+ characters before. I tried a beastlord.. a class I never really tried before. Couldn't figure it out. This is me, a person who's played off and on since 2001, who has played at that level before. I can't imagine what it is like for someone brand new to the game.

Personally I would say to get to level 65ish on a new character with some AAs gained under your belt. Once you've got the terminology, experience with grouping, and general experience of moving zone to zone as well as improving equipment, then you'll be ready to tackle that 85 character again.\

Finding a new player friendly guild is a good start as well. They should be present on most servers, and can answer many questions you have as well.

Good luck to you, and welcome to EQ.
    Petts and moogs like this.
  11. Ultrazen Augur

I'm going to add my vote to the 'shelve your wizard, roll a new character' club. EQ is a very complicated game from a UI, travel, and macro making perspective. It's also not an easy game to solo at level 85 if you are in level 85 zones.

I'd recommend you spend a month or so playing various characters and getting to know your way around the game world and the ins and outs of Plane Of Knowledge before you try playing a level 85 character. I wouldn't recommend that anyone jump straight into level 85 in this game, just way too many things to know.

EQ is the best MMO on the market, by a large margin, but it's not particularly new player friendly. That's actually pretty funny, because it's about 1000 times more new player friendly than it used to be lol.

Take your time, learn the game, don't be in a hurry. EQ is not a sprint by any means, it's more of a marathon. If you take the time to really learn your way around when you have less things to worry about (i.e. a low level character that doesn't have 100000000000 skills), you'll have a much more enjoyable time. EQ *does* actually do a pretty good job of introducing things to you as you level up. The game is much less daunting from 1-70 than it is post 70.
    moogs likes this.
  12. AguaPurificata New Member

Ok so I'm very reluctant to shelve the wizard (I know its not technically 'giving up', but I love the idea of this class so far so its a bit hard). I forgot to mention earlier I have one other heroic character, a bard, although from what I can gather that was an equally bad choice. On the other hand I rolled a warrior, (since you all seemed to suggest trying something through the first part of the game) and completed the whole tutorial; In fact I've leveled far beyond and should be closing in on 50 by tomorrow.
  13. Naugrin Augur

If you like idea of a wizard, play a wizard. Back in 2001 people tried to dissuade me, yet here I am.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Kaid New Member

If you have your heart set on playing a Wizard main, that is what you should play.

I'm coming back to the game after a very long break myself. I was a raiding cleric once upon a time and really enjoyed that but this time around I wanted something new. So I went with a heroic mage. Like everybody else, old and new, who tries to climb into a new unfamiliar level 85 with thousands of AA in the game I was immediately overwhelmed. I got as far as reading all the AA for the first time (I will need to do this more than once and get activated ones on hot bars, etc.). I did get my UI setup to my liking and took a look at spells. Then I logged to go do homework - for days. lol

Others can add to this brief list but I find excellent resources to include ZAM.com (home of Allakahzam for EverQuest) which is an incredibly useful resource you should check out. For example, they have a helpful zone chart broken down by expansion and level with clickable links to any zones good for your level so you can learn more about them including how the heck to get to them. I think you would find this helpful. There is a huge database of in game items, gear, spells, etc. You can look up things for example such as where the heck do I get my 86 to 90 spells? When you have a question, Allah is a good place to look for answers and many players swear by it as do I. A newer place I've recently become acquainted with is called EQResource and there you will find maps for the most recent two expansions to place in your maps folder along with the ones you have hopefully gotten by now from mapfiend. Lastly, I think probably every class in this game has its own class-specific fan site as well. For me that is The Magician's Tower. The Wizards here could probably point you to the site just for Wizards. I expect there probably is one.

So, after some quality reading time about all sorts of things new in EQ and about mages I decided to follow the good advice I notice is also being given here - start a new character and do the tutorial. I did that the other night and I made that new character a mage because that is who I want to grow up and into. I got out of Gloomingdeep and headed to Crescent Reach last night where I happened upon somebody playing a bard my level and we proceeded to clean house around there. It was fun, just good old fashioned grinding mobs left and right. I picked up a few levels, reaching 13 and called it a night. Today I will go back for more fun there.

I am enjoying my little mage and learning how to play him gradually with zero stress. It's great. I am having fun learning as I go even though it is very slow and gradual. This is fine. I am not in a hurry and I would recommend you not be either because EverQuest is not a very good game for people in a hurry. The beauty of this game to me actually is the pacing is slower and I like it. I'm going to keep on playing this mage for a while here in the zones adjoining Crescent Reach as I never did play in these before now. Then I am going to visit a couple very cool spots I loved leveling my cleric. I should be able to visit Natimbi (from the Gates of Discord expansion) at about 45. I like this zone. It's fun but there are summoning turtles there. I think I better bring a tank merc for that. We'll see. I really want to play in the first tier Planes of Power zones and up also. I loved those when it was all new and I know I still would.

The zone chart on Allah would help you find stuff like this not to mention just asking players in general chat, what is a good zone to have fun in at level so and so?

By jumping in a level 85 as a brand new player to this game you are actually missing quite a lot of excellent content and fun taking that shortcut and as you've found you are ill prepared to play a class at that level with thousands of AA with no previous experience or growth into the character class to draw upon. I'd highly recommend leveling a Wizard from the ground up and grow into what they can do. Keep your 85 for later. You'll know when you are ready to make the jump later on but don't hurry through this. Enjoy the ride. It's all about the journey, not the destination as they say and in no game is this more true than in EverQuest.

I honestly think you'd have some great experiences, a lot less stress and a lot more fun leveling your own Wizard and learning to do things like kite in zones where it is easy and the mobs do not hit like trucks. There's so much you can learn in friendlier lower level zones as spells and abilities become available and you are not sacrificing on fun. You'll get to high level content eventually and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more if you know what you are doing, have experience at your class and can enjoy the challenges rather than be frustrated by them.

Just my two plus coppers.
  15. Petts Elder

I made a Heroic Bard ... was very thankful i had Fade on my hotbar ...
    After a near death encounter solo ... i decided i need to learn how to play this new class on some more forgiving opponents ... like grays :) So I started camping some of the clickie illusion masks ... took me a while to effectivly clear an area and keep it cleared ... but at least with the mobs being gray and not hitting hard i had no fear of dieing to them.

So, my suggestion to the people starting Heroic characters and are struggling, maybe start with some easy mobs to see what works best and move up from there ... but by all means, play the class that you want to.

My first 3 mains were what other people wanted me to play ... i was not truely happy and having fun every time i logged in, till i was playing my beast. Not saying they are the best or that everyone should play one. But i really enjoy this class. So play the class that you enjoy the most.
  16. wilas101 New Member

you went from not being able to function to rolling through almost 50 levels in like 2 days?

I'm not saying you didn't nor am I trying to be inflammatory, I just want to make sure I understand correctly. I played for like 6 solid years and can't imagine a path to do that without having a friend power level. I'm assuming there was no friend involved or the original post wouldn't have been needed.

so how did you do it?
  17. Rauven Augur

Sounds like you're getting a handle on it. Though I would warn against getting PL'd, that would sort of defeat the purpose. If you're just trucking along solo then you're doing pretty good. I'd try to get some groups in there. At 45-50 you might be able to squeeze into a group. The 45 hotzone is too low for 45s and the 50 hotzone is too tough for anyone lower than 50. So I recommend possibly going to Acrylia Caverns. You will need a group there as it can be rough at that level solo. But it will be fast exp. You can stay there till 55ish and even get a good amount of AAs there.

Warrior is a tough class to level. But in well rounded groups it can do well. Though its easy to tell when you need improvements. If you find yourself getting smacked around or losing agro, it usually means you need to upgrade a few pieces of gear.

I wouldn't jump on him too hard. I've been playing off and on since 2001 and the heroic beastlord I tried was too much at once. I switched to a Ranger since I've had an 80ish ranger on another server. Though I am curious how he got there as well too. Hopefully not a PL. But sometimes new players can find things we miss simply because they don't know any better lol.
  18. wilas101 New Member

I really wasn't trying to jump on anyone. I'm genuinely curious about the statement. Long ago I recognized the fact that I wasn't the greatest gamer out there so if the chance to get something drilled into my dense skull comes along I try and do it. :)
  19. AguaPurificata New Member

I can list the areas I went to, I actually was in a party for most of the lower leveled parts, I wouldn't call it a power-level though as they were of a similar level range and co-op'd the experience with me. After a while I then went on to solo with a mercenary in this Bee Hive area (again, I can come back to list the actual names if anyone wants once I get back on later today). I played for an embarrassing amount of time as well, with slightly boosted XP. Honestly, I was sort of shocked to read it was unusual to level this fast, I figured that was normal.

Although ultimately it's still like 100% (at least) easier than my wizard, as warrior doesn't really have to do much as far as micromanaging spells/effects/environment stimulus. I choose that class though, If anyone was wondering, because I aim to try my hand at boxing between my bard/wizard/warrior at some point.
  20. Fluid Augur

I'm not saying this is how Aqua did it but there are a few intense areas in the game where you can level quickly in a boxing or group situation. Solo or molo, I'd be curious to hear also.

Just for reference, as I said in a higher post, Tutorial is easy to complete in ~4 hours and that gets you your first 10-15 levels solo/molo.

The area just beyond the farm in CR is an area that is nuts in regard to spawn rate. If you can survive it experience comes as quickly and you can kill.

Blightfire has at least two good areas. Note that I power leveled a 2nd account character with one of my Druids at the PoK book in Blightfire and was only able to make ~a level every twenty minutes. Killed every rat and snake and had to wait for spawn which was the limiting factor => not the best place. What was good were the Splitclaw cats and a little later the undead tower at the northern area of the zone. Once again, crazy high spawn rates.

From there Burning Woods is pretty good being a hotzone and having several good spots. Easy experience molo into 50. I've also seen a lot of people being PL'd in Corathus Creep but never did more then box there. That is beyond level 50 which is what we are talking about anyway.

The Skystrider Quest in PoK, something I've oft recommended, is another thing that gives good experience below level 50. You end up being completely broke and not able to buy spells or equipment, but you do get the levels. Loot is so poor I wouldn't recommend it for a first character or one in need of pt unless you are willing to spend the time later thumping something with good drops. The time you gain getting levels will be spent getting cash later so almost becomes a wash.