The Warrior's Handbook

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by VZRetro, Nov 16, 2013.

1. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Hello EQ Players from around the world! I'd like to take this opportunity to invite any and all Warriors to join or check out my newly revamped website which is all about the warrior class.

A little about myself, the author:
    I have played EQ since about 1999 and have been a warrior through nearly all of it. I've had so much fun over the years and have learned my class very well since then. Now it is time to pass on my knowledge to others who enjoy the warrior class as much as I have.

My site is filled with various guides that I have written over the past few months and have updated each one to keep up with the times. I was inspired to build this site after reviewing another well known warrior site and did not enjoy sifting through all of the old and outdated info to find the new stuff when I needed it. And many people I know have stayed away from there for the same reason.

I said to myself, I am going to use my knowledge to build a site that is free of outdated junk and offer my users the chance to request info as needed. Commenting is separate from the given info to keep the place clean and easy to find what you need.

So without further ado, I give you The Warrior's Handbook!

Thank you for your time and I hope you all enjoy and benefit from my site.

http://defiant.forumotion.net
  2. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Thank you to those who have found my site to be a big help and informative. It is turning into a huge success! I have received PM's and tells in game with a few requests for information, and I have delivered!

Thank you for the positive feedback, here is the link to my newest guide answering the messages I have received. Thanks again

http://defiant.forumotion.net/t130-personal-advice-and-misc-information-v12
  3. Tiensx Journeyman

Your "links" in that post aren't links. Also, not sure why you said you recommend the evil DoN route for DPS purposes, as both camps give the same exact reward AA effects. They only differ in name.

Also, in your "warrior build" post, you state that the gain from HAgi and HDex for dodge, parry, and riposte are .1% per point and only go into effect when you reach a 25 point tier. This is not what my parse results found back in ~2010, and unless it's been changed, the 25 point tiers give a 1% boost to the skill chance.

No heroics adds to shield block. It is only improved by buying more Shield Block AA.

Will review your posts again and let you know if I see any other information that's outdated/incorrect.

Solid site so far though. Hope it helps out some newer tanks improve their characters.
  4. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

I have tested each link in my posts on multiple computers from guest view and have found nothing to be wrong with them in light of your feedback. I am sorry for your inconvenience but they are working fine.

I have made the proper changes to the "Personal Advice and Misc Information" thread to reflect your feedback and make myself a little more clear in terms of the DoN progression.

For the heroics feedback, I pulled the following paragraph from the top of the "Heroics" section of that post in case you missed it the first time around, and placed the parts that matter in bold.

"When it comes to heroics, information is very hard to find accurately... Here is what i have learned, trust, and use... I have bolded, italic, and underlined the following to reflect that I obtained this info from another source, to avoid plagiarism..."

I appreciate your feedback and invite you to search for more accurate heroic info and use the proper thread located in my general discussion forum to submit any corrections you may find, as well as any questions or concerns you may have. If approved, changes will be made and you will be cited as the "Source" of the new info if required. The source of my previous info did not wish to be cited as such.

As always, and has been stated in my more in depth guides, any information I've written has been tested and works 100%. If I did not write the information, it is noted, and I cannot give the 100% guarantee on said info as a result, only the source can. Information obtained from other sources does not and should not reflect the integrity of my own postings.

Thank you
  5. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Update to my previous reply...

The links within any thread will not show up to anyone under "guest" status. To see links within posts, you must be registered and signed in. Registration is free and easy, and only takes the amount of time to create your name, provide an email, and check the email. Simple as that!

Apparently since I am the admin, links still show to me under guest view. I will make the appropriate changes to make it a bit more user friendly for guest users but guests will still have to copy and paste links.

Again, thank you for the feedback, this is how the site gets better a little at a time and the feedback is much appreciated.
  6. Tiensx Journeyman

I wasn't trying to be a jerkbag or anything like that. I hope it didn't come off that way.

I'm at work right now, but tonight or tomorrow I'll register for your site and post the links to my parses for heroics and the correct order of operations for the defensive checks that I posted on TSW a few years back. I've been considering re-running the parses to make sure the formulas have not changed and to try to see the affect of HAgi on the defense (hit/miss) check as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Best of luck, and you might consider posting this on TSW as well, in case any returning or newer wars go there and are looking for current information.
  7. Arylle Lorekeeper

TSW is actually still in use. Plenty of the current raid tanks that are on the up&up with current infos still check in there.
  8. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Oh yer fine Tiensx. No harm done I assure you. Just wanted to point out the source thing is all :D

I welcome and appreciate the feedback as stated bud. I want my site to be as accurate as possible and feedback will help get it there. Hope my reply to you didn't come off badly hehe, I'm just very detailed and thorough in the way I type.

I wasn't joking when I said I invite you to look for more accurate info on the heroics. If my info that I obtained on that is inaccurate please feel free to provide better info and I'll be sure to replace it and cite you if you wish to be cited. I'm thinking maybe that's the reason my other source didn't wish to be cited but who knows lol...

Arylle... Aye, TSW is still going and it's still a great and invaluable source for all things warrior. It's just that there is so much info on there that is outdated that clutters the site, making it hard to find certain things if you're someone who isn't very internet or forum savvy, or someone who isn't aware that they're looking at outdated info that no longer exists in game. People like you and I can go in and find what we need with no problem, but my site is built not just for people like us, it's also for those who don't know their way around computers very well or are new to the game. I try to think about everyone rather than just those who have the experience. I hope this sheds some light, I have the very best of intentions and built my site to help people.

Thank you both for the feedback once again. It is appreciated.
  9. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Apologies for not mentioning this in my last post. I have updated the link settings on my site as best as I could. Users must register and be signed in to use them in some cases but there are some that will work as guests thanks to outside sources providing guest links. Sorry for any inconvenience to those who visited previously and found them not working as a guest.
  10. Marshall Maathers Augur

Bump for a potential start point for Heroic warriors.
  11. Gythlen Augur

Went to check it out. Nice info, but there is a lot of adware there hidden in links in the articles.

Might want to clean that up if you can.
  12. Dwavlin Journeyman

I can't register on TSW - there's a security icon that won't display and there doesn't seem to be anyone to contact.
  13. Pwnography Augur

If you're legitimately interested, I can give you a list of suggestions to improve the quality of the information provided there. Hell, I could write it here and see if you want to copy any information directly. Mainly, a stronger explanation and layout of defensives and agro abilities order, and situational group information for new Heroic characters to get a good start. Some basics emphaisizing that Bazu is a great pulling tool, or any version of Steadfast should be rolling always when tanking. The lower level Guardian and Commanding Voice abilities are something they can keep up 100% of the time. Prioritize the info into 'Heroic War Basics 101 - Getting Started' then dive into a '202' course for more indepth info. In the augs, I would suggest valuable resources like raidloot.com for searching all augs and finding their own path based on preference.

One section that could definitely be improved would be the depth and importance of the raid information. A good 'Warrior Raiding 101' could be covered. The tank list info is fine but seems choppy and only relevant to certain guilds who play that way. I think it needs to be broken out to class specific. For the example of warriors, descriptions of the primary discs such as Blade Guardian, etc could be given. Mark of the Mage Hunter is situational, so they should know the use/value there shen spell damage is coming out.

There is some importance when stepping up with Fortitude to Flash over into Last Stand for a smooth transition. When Last Stand goes down, what do we typically cycle to? Some go for absorption with Warlords Tenacity/Resplendent/Hold The Line with Stalwart then rotate into more avoidance AA's and Steadfast. It depends on the fight, but there are some generalizations here. How about stepping up back quickly from death? Rest should be emphasized. Raiding tools GTT may be worthwhile, with some information on where to get solid triggers and a small guide to making their own.

I think this could be a very valuable resource and I'd be more than happy to help, especially on the raiding side.
  14. VZRetro Lorekeeper

The Warrior's Handbook has been changed to The Gamer's Handbook and now offers guides for other games that I play or have played for substantial amounts of time in the past. Feel free to submit your own guides for EQ warriors in the suggestion box or the general forum and I will review them and move them to the information forum if I see fit.