Want to play but...Horribly expensive.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by tounces, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Bigbear Augur

this game is cheap as it is ... its always funny to me when i see these threads... now i probably play about 30-35 hours a week with my wife... she plays more but i have to work..we have 6 gold accounts and we get the collectors edition expansions for all 6 every year... and it only costs us $2.69 per day to play all 6 accounts together... and you want it cheaper than that??? seriously??? if that is too much to pay then this game might not be the game for you...
  2. Bigbear Augur

perhaps OP u should play on test server... gold access is FREE....double xp all the time... all vet rewards for FREE... can still multibox there... you sound like a test server player since the live servers are too expensive and test always needs more players i am sure
  3. tounces New Member

Would only be interesting if Playstation Plus access was included in "All Access". Otherwise I don't play any other SOE games.
  4. Kenwefu New Member

I'm surprised this game has lasted so long. I tried to come back and someone said all you need is two toons and two mercs and you can get through 90% of the content is not true. If you start from 85 and try to get to 100 content let me know how many weeks it takes you to go through all the quest lines of VOA. That is where i ended my Subscription. I needed help i was expansions behind and not to many people are eager to help. It makes you have to rely on others for help as other games have a more viable group finder and dungeon finder. Not to mention the time sink on camping named to gain better gear teir 4 VOA drop rate sucked over 25 kills on one boss and only 2 armor drops. Yea i want to continue playing a game where I can't kill most of the content and the drop rate sucks. Plus no real PVP content.

EQ is a thing of the past i spent 10 years on the game and the graphics are still suck.
    Brontus likes this.
  5. junglenights Augur

I am not married and have lots of time to play and yet I AFK a lot too. It's not something that only happens to people who're married and have kids and have a 60h/week job. I find grouping to be more of a chore because I can't AFK when I want and I can't relax as much. When I was younger I loved grouping. Back then I'm sure I'd disagree with the way I am now. I've boxed in EQ for a while because it allows me to play at my own pace and AFK whenever I want to.

I think these changes to EQ might happen over the coming years....

1) Feign death for all players
    2) When a player's in a group and goes AFK they can enter auto-mode and they'll act like a mercenary, controllable by the group leader. This could be explained in the lore in a number of ways. Players could even be a kind of "shroud" that's enabled by clicking on a pot. If they click it they become an automatic pet to the group-leader. I bet it could even be a spell cast by another player onto them.
    3) Consecutive accounts payed by the same credit card will be discounted

Developers may come up with another way to allow players to AFK and yet still contribute to the group or not cause frustration. Entering a sort of auto-mode is not the only means to have this effect.

Even if going AFK in a group was convenient and real players played better than boxers, some players will still prefer boxing because they can play at their own pace. There's no need to move quickly through a place. You can move slow and read all the text and absorb it all. I always am irriated by real groups when I can't take my time with things.
  6. junglenights Augur

One last thing....

The way to solve the silver/f2p probelms is to allow a prestige item-unlocker in the cash shop. In EQ2 you can buy unlocks for items. That's what EQ needs because right now a lot of the augs are locked and it ruins the feeling of progression. Furthermore, as you approach level 80+ you start to see more prestige items. Usually it's not a problem if you stay on the main quest hubs and on low tiers (it starts in Feerot Dream for HCs), but if you start to explore the off the path you'll find prestige items. For example, if you start killing group named in SOD you'll find a lot of prestige items. Anytyhing over tier 2 is prestige too.

I don't expect F2P to have all the bells and whistles. And despite how it's now, I've played a LOT for nothing. Thing is, if I didn't have nostalgia for the old content, I probably wouldn't see much if any value in it.

Theya also need to allow f2p/silver accounts to get all their AA's up to 60 or 70 or something and have it be automatic. They need to make the Autogrant work for non-gold, but cap at certain levels, depending on whether it's f2p or silver. The AA cap increaser in the cash shop needs to be fixed so non-gold don't waste money it when they can buy gold for $15 and get 4900 at 85.

Also I don't think the Hero's Journey is good 50+. It's good advice for below that. The problem is there're some horrible tasks in the Hero's Journey that're underconned, even a couple below level 50. Those need to be fixed. And I also think the Hero's Journey needs either a higher plat reward or it needs to make the rewards tradeable. As it's, it's shoddy.
  7. Zantor Augur

But for expansions, I haven't paid any RL money for EQ in about a year and I 3 box. Once you get your toons good, is super easy to make plat to buy kronos.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Hayzeus Augur

I just don't see this making any sense for Sony to implement. As you stated in another post, you can already get the discounts you want by subscribing for extended periods of time. Subscribing for a year already nets you a 30% discount on as many accounts as you want to activate.

Let's pretend that they would actually consider what you have proposed, and let's assume that you're going to 3-box (which I think is common enough). Further, let's assume that you're going to subscribe all accounts for 1-year.

Acct 1 = $119 = $10 per month (rounding up because easy math is easy)
    Acct 2 = $83.30 = $6.95 per month
    Acct 3 = $47.60 = $3.97 per month (logging in one hour per week would put your sub time at $1/hour)

lol your 4th, 5th and 6th accounts would drop down to $2.50 per month for full Gold?

I know there are some 2-year subscriptions floating around out there for $199 which is already a 45% discount (approximately). If you had 3 accounts on the 2-year plans with your reduced rates... you'd have a Gold account for $3.32 a month ($2.08 for 4th 5th and 6th accounts).

$3.32 a month? *never* gonna happen.

There's just no way it's economically viable for them to allow billing that low. Not unless they want to live on Ramen noodles.

PS: How often do they allow those 24-month plans, or are they gone forever and ever?
  9. Hawklight Yandli Elder

As with anything set a monthly budget and stick to it. As of now spending five dollars will upgrade an account to silver, well worth it (sounds like this path may end in coming months though).

BUt before you spend anything, try boxing without paying and see if it is your thing. The wonderful thing about the game is you don't have to do anything you do not want to do. Don't like roleplaying your toon? Don't do it. Dont' like PvP, don't do it.

Playing a way that's not your style will end up in frustration and burnout. Set a budget that allows you to play the way you want to play. Good luck!
  10. Harabakc Augur

The upgrade to silver will disappear soon. You will be required to go gold for one month to achieve silver in the future.
  11. Caster Lorekeeper

It cracks me up that anyone even bothers to respond to this thread. The guy is clearly just trolling for attention.

The game is horribly expensive and he just comes back to play every now and then - yet all of his boxes are level 95, and have expansions up to level 95. But everything is just horribly expensive. He's given a half dozen options including kronos and silver membership - but those things just don't let him play the way that he wants to play. It is suggested that he not activate all his boxes, since he can apparently afford to pay for two accounts - but again, he doesn't want to play with other people and subject them to his "casual play style".

Seriously, if you're going to continue to cry when given a variety of options, EverQuest isn't for you. In fact, you have four kids and a wife, so any game is most likely not for you. However, given your propensity to whine without cause about a video game, four kids and a wife are most likely not for you.
    Shanarias likes this.
  12. saarc New Member

Box free accounts - run old content, free yourself from the rat race of being up to date on content. There is so much unused space out there why shackle yourself with expensive accounts? If you want to box, do it on the cheap. If you want to stay in the latest content and box, you should have to pay out.