Want to play but...Horribly expensive.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by tounces, Mar 14, 2014.

1. tounces New Member

Every now and then I get the itch to come back to EQ. Sometimes, I even subscribe to a month of gold for one account, then don't really bother to do much besides move around my inventory and sit in PoK.

The problem being that, unlike more modern, more populated MMOs, I pretty well need to play multiple accounts to really get the "Everquest experience" I'm used to. And, to do just about anything anymore, for that matter.

And this is where I run into a cost barrier that makes EQ just not comparable to other games these days. $15 isn't bad. Even $30 is manageable. Since computers have come a long way though, I typically 3-box or more these days, and that's when the price just gets out of hand. It becomes hard to justify $45-60+ per month to play. Worse - at $40 an expansion - I'm looking at $120-$160 just to get back into the game. That's enough to crush my desire to return pretty quickly. Subscription + expansion, $165-$220 is quite steep return cost. And if I can't get it for at least 3-4 of my accounts, I'm not going to even bother getting it for one.

I realize EQ is "Free", but, unless they allow me to unlock things like AAs(obtaining not just keeping), gear, etc, permanently, it's not "Free" for anyone past a certain level. And I don't expect a free game, either. Just one I can reasonably afford. One that, for a similar experience, is comparable to other games on the market.

I can't say I know a solution to this that's acceptable to both Sony and the Players. Making accounts past the first one cheaper would be great - but they could likely lose a lot of revenue from those who currently pay for multiples without qualm. Such wouldn't be as true of reducing multiple expansion costs, but it could cause complaint.

I don't know the answer. I just know that, as it stands, as much as I'd like to play, I'm not too likely to return short of winning the lottery.
  2. Rorce Augur

How is the cost of EQ not comparable with other games? If you plan on boxing that many accounts it doesn't matter what game you are playing unless it's a free one - your cost is gonna be significantly higher than the cost to the majority that just play 1 account.

This is coming from someone who pays for 6 accounts, just for the record.
  3. tounces New Member

Most MMOs you can't realistically box accounts, due to their design, or you can only do so poorly.

However, pretty much all of them there's no real need to, and often very little benefit to doing so.

A large part of this is the ease of grouping/raiding in other games, which is considerably harder in a very low population game.

Since you pay for 6 accounts, I assume you know what I'm talking about.
  4. tounces New Member

Also - I would like to say, Krono's would have been one way to make multiple accounts more feasible...

But the price to buy 25, is the exact same per Krono as the price to buy one....so it's entirely pointless to buy multiples, and it's actually MORE expensive than the regular subscription price.
  5. Rorce Augur

I do know what you are talking about, but I don't feel I should get a discount for having so many accounts. I have them out of convenience. Many people play this game with a single account. Yeah, we don't have dungeon finders, looking for raid systems, etc. This just means you need to get out and meet people. Join an active family guild. Don't sit and shout "looking for group". Instead, find others who are looking for group and make the group yourself. If you enjoy playing with those people, add them to your friends list so you will have an easier time creating groups in the future.
    Vorthax, Reht, Moklianne and 5 others like this.
  6. Rorce Augur

You're doing it wrong. Krono was not intended to be purchased and used by the same person. Krono is a way for players to "legally" purchase platinum or other in game items from other players.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yther like this.
  7. Sokahar Journeyman

If you can generate enough money in game, then the cost of Kronos are zero.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Iila and Yther like this.
  8. tounces New Member

Earlier in EQ's life, such things would have been more appealing. But most of the games play value is going to be nostalgia for many people. Which is going to be sporadic. Even WoW players have become heavily sporadic these days. The difference being, plunking down $15 and then maybe $20 for their expansion when they often discount it isn't a big deal.
  9. Yther Augur

It sounds like you don't really want to box. And, you don't have to. Many people get along fine playing one account, even classes that are not so good solo / molo.

Sounds like a met life commercial. Lucy says it should be five cents. Charlie agrees. Response: Everything can't be five cents.

Yther Ore.
    Hawklight Yandli and DDMasterX like this.
  10. tounces New Member

Given how inflated the EQ economy has become, I can't even imagine how expensive a Krono would be in plat prices.
  11. Rorce Augur

Not bad. 420k on my server, which is a night of farming if you know what you're doing.
  12. tounces New Member

I don't box any other game besides EQ. With EQ it's really hard to enjoy it without boxing.
    FYAD likes this.
  13. Yther Augur

If it's nostalgia you're after, play for free. You don't need more than 1000 AAs until 85+ for most toons, and some can get by higher. All of the nostalgia stuff should be way before that as the 90 cap only came into being 3.5 yrs ago.

Yther Ore.
  14. Yther Augur

There's your answer. Too expensive too box, and you don't enjoy it without boxing. Were is the issue, other than wanting something for nothing. If it's too expensive don't play. 'Cause you know, everyone would like everything to cheaper, if not free.
    Geroblue likes this.
  15. Yther Augur

Also, there's always Test server. It's free.
  16. tounces New Member

I suppose I should point out - I'm a "casual" gamer. Casual at least compared to the 12+ hour a day'ers. Which is another reason EQ lacks appeal without boxing, I don't want to constantly inconvenience people with my erratic play times. I grew up playing EQ and WoW and such, but now I'm at the point of 4 kids and a wife, so things have changed.
  17. tounces New Member

I might do that if most of my items weren't disabled. I wouldn't even mind buying the permanent use of slots, but having to be gold just to use my existing worn items sucks.
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I play one account. I don't box. I get groups most of the time, but not every time. Use /lfguild and find the right guild for you. Server transfer if need be to find the right guild.

It's $120/year for all-access now. If you can't afford that, play for free and accept the limitations.
    Hawklight Yandli likes this.
  19. tounces New Member

I wonder though - am I really unique in my thinking here? Am I the only one who would love to come back, but simply finds the costs of boxing prohibitive?

I'd just like to see some sort of alternative. Being able to buy things permanently would help considerably, such as J5 merc, gear slots, etc.
  20. Yther Augur

Unless you're wearing T3+ HoT+ raid gear, it's just the augs, and there are alot non-prestige augs you can use. Not endless, but more than enough to replace all your slots with something descent, unless you're a tank. But even as a tank several higher AC augs. See Hot Zones for a quick example. My 80-85 toons only lost a few K HPs and a few hundred AC.

Yther Ore.