Corpse run question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Tinytinker Augur

Hey, I see people saying, "I want corpse runs!" in some of these threads and I remember the progression servers voting on corpse recovery several years ago. I'm genuinely curious why people like the idea so much. Is it because of nostalgia, you want a challenge, or you think it'll bring the social aspect back to EQ?

With peoples' busy schedules these days, how many of you would enjoy corpse retrievals and would the social aspect of having them be as strong as it was back in 1999-2000?
  2. saarc New Member

It's the challenge - games are too easy these days and the more challenge = more feeling of accomplishment. It makes you think twice about how deep into that dungeon you will explore.
    Oldschool and Malachi like this.
  3. Malachi Augur

I have to agree with the above that it is mostly the challenge or rather the punishment. It makes every situation that much more thrilling or rewarding and of course...disappointing.
    But I'd also say that its fair to have a vote within the players playing the server. I'd like any "special" server that starts from the early expansions to try and replicate the mechanics of those expansions as accurately as possible. But if the bulk of the community wants some of those mechanics tweaked, I will live with that.

I know its a minor inconvenience for most people and that's fine if someone doesn't want corpse runs on their server for whatever reason. But in my experiences, the main reason for most of my past guildmates and friends was not because it would interfere with their out of game activities.
  4. Tinytinker Augur

Like you guys, I like challenges. It's thrilling to beat something that's hard ("Shapeshifter" on PC Turbo Engine lol), but in my old age, I find myself gravitating towards challenges that have real life balances. If I get my *** kicked and I'm out of time, I like to be able to walk away from the situation, and come back to it; depending on my schedule, it could be a few hours or a day or two. My favorite games are games where I can come back and things are still going to be the way they were when I took a break.

Back in the day, corpse runs were fun. I kept throwing myself at the dungeons until I got my corpse back. But now, I'd be throwing my family under the bus if I sat in front of the computer for long periods trying to get my body.

I don't agree with the idea of corpse runs on a new EQ classic or progression server.

But I respect your POV for wanting them and why you like them.
    Malachi likes this.
  5. Poledo Journeyman

It's not a challenge - it makes you play smarter. Although retrieving your corpse can sometimes be a challenge :)

When I log in, I expect that to be part of my play experience, so I assume that risk. I see people saying that they have have an issue with play time, and I get that. However, if that is part of the game, it doesn't matter how much you play - it's part of the experience when you play. There are 1000 things that are time sinks in the game that aren't friendly to people with limited time. It's all part of the whole for me.
    Malachi likes this.
  6. Malachi Augur

For me, I already evaluate if I want to venture into that dungeon given my time constraints (I have to do this even without corpse runs). I plan ahead as to what my out of game priorities can allow me to do.
    So if this mechanic was left in any future server, it would only enhance my experience and enjoyment of risk/reward.
    A question posed to me by a friend ingame the other day: "Would you want mercenaries to be available right off the bat?"
    That would have more potential to "break the game" in those eras. But it would save time for those who don't have the time/energy/social inspiration to actively look for others to adventure with. Just as corpse runs saves time.
  7. Gythlen Augur

This is my opinion.

In EQ2, we used to leave soul shards when we died. 5 was the max. If you didn't get them your stats were affected. So working your way back through nasty territory to get them was a challenge. Fear of dying was another.

Now you just rez, brush yourself off with a little exp loss (no deleveling like EQ though) and go about your day.

Same here. Corpses had ALL your stuff on them! Make a mage friend cause you're gonna need some summoned stuff! Pay that necro to find your corpse and drag it out!

Now, you just take an exp hit and move on ... no items lost.

Eh ... I don't even worry about dying anymore (I just get annoyed I do but then go at it again)
  8. Fle2ch Elder

It used to take us up to 4 hours to recover when a 60 + plus man raid went down in the old days. No teleport books,no call of the hero and certain classes like warriors with no ability to invis were pretty much screwed.
    Don't forget there was no aa run speed or anything to help get away from anything that you agro.
    Seen people die 5 or six times trying to get to the corpse and they loose exp each time.
    What tends to happen is people simply avoid playing the classes that have sucky corpse runs in the end.
    It wouldn't be so bad if it's your own stupidity that gets you killed, but back then many deaths in dungeons were from other peoples trains.
    So I'm not sure myself if I would like to see it return.
    I wouldn't cry if it did I just think it would penalise certain classes.
    I was also playing on pvp server and have witnessed no end of corpse camping and people camping your raid once it wiped just to be a pain in the and delay your raid recovery for another few hours.
  9. Malachi Augur

Never been thru 4 hour of corpse runs with 60 people at our disposal. But I sympathize with your past experiences. I happen to like the punishment for not executing the raid successfully. We always knew the risk and so leadership prepared for the worst.
    I feel the same way about grouping. Maybe most corpse runs were due to trains in your experience; but you were on a pvp server? That is to be largely expected. In my experiences, most grouping corpse runs were from over pulls and inexperienced group members. But when we took a group somewhere that a corpse run would take more than ten minutes, it was made sure beforehand we had the group to prevent a wipe 99% of the time. I enjoyed the planning and leadership it took back then even to be apart of a pick up group. It forged a lot of good and trustworthy friendships. I never ever saw anyone play a class on my old server just because it made corpse runs easier.
  10. code-zero Augur

The reality of that was that ultimately things like that became a CR nightmare as Guides and GM's had to be called on to summon corpses. There was nothing like a corpse run that resulted in finding a corpse stuck under the world or otherwise inaccessible.

I'm pretty sure that SOE put the current summoning mechanics in so as to cut down on the administrative headache of fielding a full time staff of corpse nabbers.
  11. Poledo Journeyman

Yeah I remember an 8 hour Plane of Fear corpse run for our guild. It was due to it being buggy that night more than a failed raid. We were getting aggro immediately on zone in. We had to have another guild come in and help. You know what though - that is a memory I still have to this day. I have a few just based around corpse runs and that says something in itself. Made a lot of friends that way.
  12. Tharrg Augur

I would love to seem them bring back the older exp gains and levels from original game... where it would take 30 dark blues to move half a yellow bub..... where killing a yellow didnt do anything much..... That is when the game was hard...now you can level to 50 with eyes closed.
  13. Fle2ch Elder

It did take a while to level back in the day but you have to remember we only had a level cap of 50.
    We now have a level cap of 100 !
    Even back in the old days if you managed to get in a sweet spot group like the treants in south Karana you could grab some coffee and go through the night and make a couple of levels.
    There was a waiting list to get in the group and when some one left the next person was contacted once you got your place it was well worth staying up all night to make the most of it.
    There were other round the clock groups at HH pass and befallen on my server.
  14. Tharrg Augur

I think the best group I was in did non stop killing in HighPass Keep and after 5 hours I think I made 2 yellow bubbles.... I was so amazed at the fast exp gain. Looking back at it, I think the slow exp gain was better for the game than the newer trends.
  15. CasualMaker New Member

If you get a server that calls itself "Classic", then yes it should have corpse runs. That said, I agree that there should be an "out" for people that really, really can't afford the real-life time to recover their corpse; just make it expensive to discourage casual use.

A Corpse Summoner NPC with these costs:

1) If you have not used it in the past 2 days: reset to beginning of current level.
    2) If used more than once within 2 days: reset to beginning of previous level.
  16. Jet-Li Lorekeeper

I remember losing a corpse in Plane of Fear and spending hours trying to retrieve it. We finally had to ask help from another guild to recover from the the deaths.
  17. vardune Augur

Its makes it harder more challenging. Risk vs reward.
  18. vardune Augur

Corpse run will not discourage casuals. It will discouraged stupidity.
  19. vardune Augur

The majority of us that want a new progression server and that arent playing live want an more challenging game. I dont want the easy path. I want to earn my gear, levels and if i am stupid the game needs to tell me that. Not just let me have a redo with a slap on the wrist.
  20. Numiko Augur

I had a friend go from level 50 to level 47 trying to get his corpse back from a botched plane of fear raid,

I do not think he ever described the experience as "fun"
    code-zero and Fenudir like this.