New Cleric. Group Help fer Newb!

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Gythlen, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Gythlen Augur

Hey all!

I'm sure you have seen posts like this before, but mine might be a little different.

My story!

I played a cleric waaaaay back in the day (I mean last time was when PoP was out, I had a Human Cleric) and I loved doing so. I stopped around OoW (whenever the Zerkers first came out) and picked up the game about 3 weeks ago fully.

I talked my spouse, sister, and dad to play as well. We have a 4 group with 2 mercs

Our game makeup is this:

Me - DE Cleric with DPS merc
    Sister - FRG Shaman with Tank merc
    Spouse - FRG Paladin (Played very little)
    Father - ERU Necro (First time playing)

We are not looking for optimal group making (so I'm not asking about that) but I am curious what spells I can use that:

1. Won't contradict or have problems with Shaman spells
    2. Which buffs can really help certain classes in the group
    3. Paladin buffs I know are based off Clerics. Should the spouse worry about casting too?

Thanks! I'll have more questions after responses more than likely
  2. Gythlen Augur

I have looked at the EQ Clerics board, and unless I am reading it wrong, it seems to be all for high level raiding clerics. Is there any guides or tips for those starting out again?
  3. Nylrem Augur

Need to know level range and general targets, how well tank is able to tank in what you're doing, etc.

Describing level 100 spell lineups/buffs/tactics if you're only 65 doesn't make much sense.

Going to assume the paladin and shaman both will be healing a great deal as well. So, I would probably suggest mostly using what I do vs 'easy-ish' mobs. That is: Glorious nuke (twinheal proc) > magic nuke > current contravention > chromatic nuke > previous contravention and spot/group heal as necessary (doubt will be much, with 3 healers all healing). You asked if the Paladin should be casting? Absolutely yes, they should be running out of mana faster than you by far, and almost never NOT be casting. Between heals, stuns, and agro spells, they should be constant casting.

Shaman and cleric spells mostly mix well, except the Heal over Time spells. Equal Wisps/Elixirs overwrite each other. Most Paladins will want Cert instead of Symbol/skin combo because of a self buff they have.

Anticipated Interposition is mainly a raid spell, but other than that, the posts you see for raiding buffs, etc, apply to group content as well.

Crystilla has excellent posts on her site, which is linked in the sticky for class sites.
  4. Gythlen Augur

We're level 10.

Which makes it hard, as it seems (even as you posted) many people seem to think those who need help are high level (not singling you out, just noticing it alot).

We have the tank merc, for now, to assist in holding aggro, until the Paladin understands it more and can do it better. But I will let my spouse know about casting while fighitng.

My father, the necro, never played EQ before. So is there any particular Cleric spells as I go along, that could help him (buffs or mana regen or anything) for him or his pet? Or even to put on the DPS melee merc (which I have) or anyone else?

I will keep that in mind with my sister's shaman and buffs on my spouse.

Thanks for the info!
  5. dalead Elder

Wow, level 10. It's been a long time since I've been at that level, however let me give it a shot.

At that level, the only thing you can do really is HP/AC buffs which would be your Courage line I think. The shaman will have a few buffs to increase the other statistics and slow the mob etc... As you level up, the line will stack with the symbol line up to a point, (can't remember how far up) but I don't think you have any symbols yet.

With a tank merc most things your level should die pretty quickly and not give much trouble. I would concentrate on nuking/meleeing while throwing the occasional heal if needed.
  6. Iila Augur

Get 2 tank mercs, run around and attack things. No classes get complex abilities at level 10. You have like 4 spells that matter, a nuke, a stun, a heal and a hp buff, the first two get cast on mobs you're killing. The latter two get cast on players.

Tank mercs are much better than players till in the 50-60 range. No one really has tools to hold aggro well for a while, but everyone should be able to tank for a bit anyways. Most of the spells are just some variant of moving red bars to the left or right. Heals move good bars to the right, buffs add more to your red bar. Damage spells move bad bars to the left. Spell lines don't start getting spread out in trade-offs and specialization of roles until the 50+ range, up to that point you just use your highest level spell that does whatever you want.

Your main 3 buff lines are the Courage line (hp+ac), the Symbol line (pure hp) and the Holy Armor line (pure ac), those all stack and at some point you'll get a buff that combines all 3. All your buffs should stack with all the shm buffs, the paladin buffs are worse versions of your buffs, until they get the Brell's line, then it will be a hp buff that stacks fine. The shm Focus buff won't stack with the Necro's shielding buff. The shm's str and agi buffs should go on characters that melee. Your Courage and Symbol buffs go on everyone, the ac buff can just on characters that are going to get hit.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Based on this thread, I went head and did a quick guide to show where some of the things are on the EQclerics.org website are (that were already existing) and used some of the OP's original background to answer some questions.

The thread can be found HERE.
  8. Gythlen Augur

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I will grab another tank merc to assist (since I have the DPS melee one).

Iila, your desc of buffs to who was very helpful. I will make a note of them!

And looking at your post now, Crystilla. Thank you for taking the time to make one for those starting out with questions.
  9. LoonyToony Elder

Basically you will need to up grade to each new blast heal till 39ish when you get complete heal. This heal will last you till 70ish or so. Then switch over to xxxxxxx light and remedy with promised xxxxxxxx for delay healing till about 96 whem remedy becomes real fast. Levels may be a little off but that is basically how I remember heals. It has been a few years for me though lol.
  10. Crystilla Augur

Just to note I updated the thread with a tentative spell list someone can use depending what level they are. Did 10 level increments with a note. Added level 1-50 so far, and will go back and flush that out a bit more and continue upward as time allows this week.
  11. Priestine New Member

Crystilla, thanks so much for your guides. I will be abusing them now that I have finally been able to create my cleric thanks to the 85 grant. I'm so lost though! I love how you did the spell lineups for the lower levels. Don't mean to put more work on you but maybe a brief guide for those of us with new 85 clerics ready to take on the healing world! :p
  12. Crystilla Augur

I'm working on that this weekend I think Priestine. Sort of thought starting low would help remind me what all was available in each tier. (I started in 2001 and was level 50 by early 2002 so it's been a while and I needed a mental refresher.) :)

Keep checking back as I'll also be adding a master "Where can I find" type of post that links to every guide on the site.
  13. Crystilla Augur

Here is the start of the guide for heroic clerics. Still has a couple links that aren't connected (those guides still need to be written) but should at least help give a start.

Heroic clerics - now what do you do?