Any 'large raids' on the horizon?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by AlmarsGuides, Mar 5, 2014.

1. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'm wondering if there are plans to add in any large scale raids, I don't mean with more than 54 players but I mean large raids that consist of an entire zone, with trash, and multiple bosses.

It's been a really long time since one of these raids, HoT I think? and I've personally always enjoyed them more than what we have now. Which consists entirely of go to the raid, zone in, talk about the boss/buff up/wait on cooldowns/kill boss.

I'm curious if the Dev team at EQ swore off these large scale raids, maybe players don't like them as much as I do, or maybe they are too time intensive or something like that. I'm not exactly sure why none have appeared in the last few expansions but I am very curious.

I miss going from boss to boss in the same zone, with trash inbetween that also can drop goodies for people who don't win anything on the bosses. And/or just having 8 or more bosses in the same zone, something similar to Crystallos or something of that nature.

A lot of guilds spend more time going from target to target now, just out in the world running to each target and that's kinda annoying.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I assume you mean things like the Asylum of Anguish and Discord Tower.

I was just mentioning to my guild the loot problem we have because there are no zones like these anymore. It really helps gear up your guild to have zones like these. Once you have figured out how to do them and your guild is powerful enough, you can just go do a few mobs one after the other.

Because the time it takes to move to another zone and do another raid is just cutting down on how much you can do in a night.
    Ruinedmyownlands likes this.
  3. Endo Journeyman

You mean like re-vamped NToV? That was just last expansion.

I think the one before that you have to go back to Tower of Discord.

4. Tour Augur

I would like to see more "large" single zone muti-event raids, but it's likely easier to create group events and then alter them to make them raid events. And it hasn't been that long, revamped NToV would be the most recent.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Revamped NToV is something like T1 Rain of Fear level difficulty and gear. These types of raids are normally in the T4 range. The idea (as I see it) is to give you a good way to gear up for the next expansion.

So, if there was a zone in T4 Rain of Fear like this, you would farm it to gear up your guild for Call of the Forsaken. Instead, we are doing T4 Rain of Fear raids, which are three raid mobs in different zones, not counting the mini bosses Ulrich, Monarch Widow, Darkness.

That's quite a bit different than seven full scale bosses in one zone.

I'm not trying to whine or demand things. I just was wondering why our guild was not gearing up as fast as in the past when I realized this was the reason. Some of the guild members are getting a bit discouraged about it.

I call it the "candy store" zone and we don't have one recently.
  6. Ssixa Augur

Not including the NToV revamp, and the smaller versions of this multiple-event in one zone instance thing (Sepulcher 1/2 ...Sepulcher 4/5..), the last time we had a zone like this was Sanctus Somnium.

In fact working backwards from HoT, we've always had a single dynamic zone with multiple events at the end of a major expansion...since Velious (read: Major meaning not like LoY, LDoN, and DoN..)

Velious: NToV (pre-instances)
    Luclin: Vex Thal (pre-instances)
    PoP: Plane of Time (originally was not an instance, was changed to one)
    GoD: Txevu (non-instance), Tacvi (8 events)
    OoW: Anguish (6 events)
    DoDH: Demiplane (9 events)
    PoR: ToB (non-instanced, not endgame armor, several events though), Razorthorn (3? events), Deathknell (4 events)
    TSS: Frostcrypt x2 and Ashengate North (instances). Left off the others because really only one main event and a couple aug events in them
    TBS: Solteris (7 events)
    SoF: Mansion (6 events), Crystallos (10 events if you include minis)
    SoD: Korafax (3 events), Tower of Discord (7 events)
    UF: Convorteum (7 events)
    HoT: Somnium (7 events)

I don't raid current content at the moment (I'm trying my hand at a progression guild), but I always found these zones to be among peoples' favorites - mass farming nonwithstanding...I know how much people got sick of Tower but that was because of how easy SoD was in general terms...it was on farm (twice a week with hard mode) for many guilds in EQ, for months, before Underfoot came out.

Would love to see more end-zones like these with multiple (seven seems like the winning number) events in one instance.
  7. Brogett Augur

This is largely a consequence of making raid events just beefed up versions of quest missions. The quests and missions by nature are spread across zones and so the raids follow. I'd like *more* raids of course (wouldn't we all), but it seems unlikely to happen in the tiny bite sited chunks vs of EQ we now get.

Please consider only 2 updates a year, not 4. Then maybe there will be time to produce something on a more epic scale.
    Ssixa likes this.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Sepulcher of Order had 5 raids. I suppose you can argue about having to zone out and get the next instance, but that takes all of 3 minutes.
  9. Trajet D'Or Augur

Heart of Fear - Threshold has 4 events in the same zone and trash on the way to events can drop augs.

If having those 4 events in the same zone contributes to lag I'd much prefer that it was 4 separate instances, same as the other 2 Heart of Fear raids are in separate instances.

If you really miss trash just log on 15/30/60/90 minutes before raids and do group content. Or spend 15/30/60/90 minutes after raids doing group content. Can get some goodies.
  10. Rolaque Ancient

There were some RoF raids that fit this category
    Xorbb 1, 2, 3 were in the same instance.
    The T4 raids, while they were in different instances for the same zone, each came from the same NPC. Plus the T4-1 raid instance had the bonus mini's to kill to open vendor raid loot.
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

I forgot about the HoF minis, mostly because I only know of one or two guilds that did them more than one time. Most people were like "OMG, no currency at all? Yea, they're not even worth doing..." which I kinda felt the same way.

NToV was extremely cool and definitely among my favorite raids for RoF, the only downside to NToV though was it was Tier 0 in RoF making it quickly outdated and to the point that no one even bothered to go back. I know once T2 came out NToV was thrown off the raid list for the week.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me though, that misses a ton of raids all within the same raid instance. I think the main reason it's annoying the new way is you can't leave the DZ until you do loot. So depending on how your guild does loot that's 15min after every fight doing loot, then you start running to the next raid, which is another 15min, then you gotta make sure enough people ran to Banner, then drop banner, then group everyone up, buff up again, another 5min (if your guild is quick) then you start. It averages to one raid an hour when in the mean time as you're doing loot some people can clear the trash etc.
    Fanra likes this.