The Defense of Lendiniara (raid)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xirtket, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Tearsin Rain Augur

but, it could be and probably should be - one thing that i am in favor of here is the idea of designing something so that it's only possible within the context of peak ability usage.
    i think it's OK to demand the best that a class can put out in order to achieve something - i just also like the fact that (like so many other encounters in EQ) there is the fast direct approach but you can also go with a slower but less through-put heavy method.
  2. Pwnography Augur

Everquest is full of alternative strategies that I love. Do you pet tank/zerg while chain blinding Morduar in Xorbb after burning Findle, or take the long route? Sweet. Do you do DH1 while dealing with maggots, or just burn him with massive dps and cc? Wonderful. Evantil slow and steady, or burn and clean up - furthermore, campfires or no? How about destroying barrels vs running on Shards? Do you avoid cold damage on Velishan to lock him into amagic/fire state only, or play through all his phases? I can go on and on, but instead of reading into the meaning of my post, you skim over it like any troll (a bad one, at that), kick on capslock, and pound your face into the keyboard for a few seconds. Bravo.

The truth is, I don't care about your guild, your 'phat lewtz,' or anything else about you - we run our own strats like everyone else. From my perspective, its to keep T1 balanced across the realm of raiding 101 necessities. My point here is that CoTF has a wide, diverse system of raid mechanics so far. We have emote-based fights (Neriak 1), proper add control (DH1 depending, WK1), consistency checks (neriak 2, see number of liches), coordinated clicks (Bixie 1), tank changing mechanics (red/yellow adds in Bixie 2). Finally, how about requiring your tanks to actually know what they're doing? Well, Captain Kanteer is there (semi-so) and Commander Galenth. In my mind, it seems like the perfect stupidity test instead of the usual status quo of 'throw more tanks at it!'

Anyone will tell you that tanking him is 'challenging,' sure. Impossible or eating all your tanks? Thats a stretch. I think an event should exist to idiot-proof your warriors and actually make them explore their activated AA's instead of screaming 'disc down, next tank!'. If you disagree with the event changes, that's just fine. I do hope Sony continues to put Galenth-hitting mobs in, though, as a legitimate tank-check mechanism without a dragon to eat them for you.

Do you have a cleric 3rd rotation set? If the answer is no, you may wanna look into it. How many raiders of yours don't have Circle of Life or GC3 clickies? You know you just buy them off the RoF T3 merchant, right? Are your shamans keeping up Rampant? Are you aware of how many warrior activated AA's there are? One alone will spike him up 40k hpish. It isn't an overabundance of clerics. We have five, maybe six per raid. Play smart and you'll get more mileage out of them. It isn't complicated. What's wrong with a tank-check, for once?
    SaderakhBertox likes this.
  3. Crystilla Augur

Just took WK2 down again (our 2nd kill). Dragon aggro'd just fine for us.
  4. Ranpha Augur

Hard to lose a raid when the end boss kills people slower than they can be rezzed... just in case people need another tactic.
  5. Momentum Elder

It's not how hard the Commander hits the tank that is the problem on the event - it's that he consistently one rounds melee DPS with his AE rampage. No counter-play, no fun.
  6. Axxius Augur

He 1-rounds with his regular ramp. If you lose control of it.
    His AE ramp is only slightly harder than Shadow of Luclin's. And is avoidable.
    (cue in another "shut up you caster! AE ramp cannot be avoided!!" here, for the lulz).
  7. Momentum Elder

Yes, obviously his regular ramp is also very strong. I don't see how that's relevant. I also don't see how the Shadow of Luclin encounter is relevant. I've seen plenty of 200k+ rounds of AE ramp on WK2, frequently 107k in a single hit. No melee DPS has that much HP.

I don't know how to avoid it, other than being outside of melee range. He doesn't announce when he's going to AE ramp, unless I'm missing a trick somewhere. However, I'm inclined to think you just wanted to make a snippy post rather than anything constructive.
  8. Gragas Augur

Kill the guards?
  9. Momentum Elder

He doesn't AE ramp if all the guards are down?
  10. Tearsin Rain Augur

no, he does.
    Loratex likes this.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

o rly?
    heh galenth has been doing 50% of his max hit as AE ramp since this event was in beta - we just figured it was the way it was supposed to be.
  12. Axxius Augur

Galenth's max hit is 107k. I'm pretty sure that people who got hit with regular rampage reported hits up to 80k. And AE rampage hits for 40-50k are quite common. If you intended AE ramp to be 15% of his main melee (i.e. 18k-ish) then something is definitely not working as intended. Regular rampage is not 50% of the main hit either.
  13. Axxius Augur

Would you please post a log with a 200k round of (Wild Rampage)? Since you've seen plenty of them, it shouldn't be hard to find.
    That's just too bad. But if you don't know it, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. And that's also how Shadow of Luclin is relevant. Her AE ramp is almost as bad as Galenth's (unless you can prove that Galenth does 200k ae ramp rounds). Assuming for your sake that you don't have mass deaths in the PoS raid, it proves that AE ramp is not the culprit in WK2. As I said, most deaths in WK2 are caused by Galenth's regular ramp. Once your ramp tank(s) die and he starts going down the aggro order (different from the hatelist), he starts ramping your dps and clerics 1 per ramp round. Those are the 200k ramp rounds you see (Rampage). Not the AE ramp (Wild Rampage).
  14. Behelit Augur

I've never seen a 200k round (although I could see it being possible, though insanely rare given the max hit). However he is fully capable of one-rounding most if not all melee dps.

Here's a 134,953 damage round and I max buff to ~124k.

[Mon Jan 27 23:05:51 2014] Commander Galenth slashes YOU for 16057 points of damage. (Wild Rampage)
    [Mon Jan 27 23:05:51 2014] Commander Galenth slashes YOU for 53523 points of damage. (Wild Rampage)
    [Mon Jan 27 23:05:51 2014] Commander Galenth slashes YOU for 11850 points of damage. (Wild Rampage)
    [Mon Jan 27 23:05:51 2014] Commander Galenth slashes YOU for 53523 points of damage. (Wild Rampage)

Here's another example of a near identical Wild Ramp damage round (altho different damage values for the individual hits, the total is almost the same). 134,952 damage:
    Even that is uncommon tho, most of the time his Wild Ramp rounds average out to 80-90k damage with only 3 other instances of 100k+ Wild Ramp rounds in my logs.
  15. Iila Augur

Does his WR also bypass avoidance skills like most boss mobs?

I try to stay as far as possible from WR, so I never notice these things for myself.
  16. Momentum Elder

Ok - now I understand your point more clearly, thanks for explaining. As I can't be bothered to trawl through my logs, I'll retract my statement about common 200k rounds, that was most likely hyperbolic, and it may well have been regular rampage.

Nevertheless, this does not really have much bearing on the crux of the issue. Wild rampage from Galenth CAN and DOES one round people, and it's poor design to have a random, unpredictable DT that isolates a large portion of your raid (melee DPS).

edit: Just seen Elidroth's post about AE ramp not meant to hit 50k+. If it's a bug, I can look through my logs and find evidence of it doing 50k+ multiple times after I finish raiding in a coupl e of hours.
  17. Axxius Augur

Right. So not quite 200k. You typically take 1-2 53k rounds. Shadow of Luclin does the same with 44k ae ramp. And yet people don't complain about mass dying to her.
  18. Tearsin Rain Augur

because luclin can easily be corner tanked and you can utilize max melee to completely avoid her AE ramp.
    galenth... not so much.

context: amazing what a difference it can make.
  19. Behelit Augur

yes a 200k round is either impossible or so rare that maybe 1 person will see it 1 time ever.

however, an extra 20k damage per round is all it takes to go from Shadow of Luclin's near-death Wild Ramp to Galenth's instant-death Wild Ramp. we havent gained 20k HP since the Shadow of Luclin event, so when the damage of Wild Ramp is increasing at a rate higher than our max HP does it becomes a much larger problem than it was before.
  20. Axxius Augur

galenth... just a little harder. ;)