Serious question re: survivability/moloing

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Denhbers, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Stabbies Journeyman

As far as AE Rampage is concerned, why don't they just put a melee sweetspot around those mobs? I am talking about a true max melee sweetspot where melee (with all discs and abilities) can still hit (not the current max melee where it's only use is for quick backouts and even penalizes melee with out of range dics) . Since the mob moves on most of these fights, one can still end up getting hit if they are not paying attention or moving with the mob. Make it a small area like only a couple of feet beyond current max melee. Make it a matter of player skill and not RNG.
  2. Zahrym Augur

If you do that you don't really need rampage in the game. It's a mechanic that has existed forever. As melee you need AC and AA's, once you have those it falls to yourself and your groups support to work in coordination to stay alive. Hybrids have self heals, good rangers use Deluge on other DPS, Shamans keep group HoT's up and hit recourse on CD etc. I can't think of a fight I have to stay out of...maybe WK2 without gear.
  3. RagePaw Augur

Pretty sure that having ac does not help you much on Raid bosses, I think feochadans post shows that as I know Feochadan has good gear. I have no problem taking sensible rampage damage its when rampage +any small range ae instantly kill you that the game is just annoying.
  4. RagePaw Augur

These raids move from challenging to frustrating all too often for melee.
  5. Songsa Augur

The problem is mostly difference between melee vs casters. I could accept dying or taking big hits that lower my dps (need to move out sometimes and wait for the heal to come when i'm lucky to not die) but if this would apply to every people in raid.
    When i see casters burning the hell without aggroing or even taking a single hit and still having runes to protect them *if needed* i'm really asking me questions about game balance.
    We should in theory have a chain armor to protect against some melee hits but even being top3 rogue serverwide AC/HP i often take max hits and can be rounded in current raids.
  6. Langya Augur

And yet casters still get pissed off just for involving them in a statement like this. Probably because they know its true and don't want to be nerfed. Well, we don't want you guys nerfed. We just want more survivability, since you all can take hits better in your paper mache robes than we can in armor supposedly made out of metal. If Songsa gets one rounded, than lesser geared melee such as myself get vaporized...and I did get vaporized before fate intervened and prevented me from raiding anymore....right when I was getting sick of it anyway. I don't know how many melee said the heck with it as well due to the perceived unfairness. Guessing not that many but everyone matters.
  7. Booger Elder

you guys are shooting your selfs in the foot on this . rogues and zerkers should not be viable tanks for group mobs or raid mobs at all period . yall should stop trying to blur multiple problems into 1 while trying to gain tanking abilitys .

yes AE ramp is way out of wack and it should be reigned in this affects all melee not just 1 or 2 classes and it should be yalls focas on trying to get fixed. yall asking for better tanking abilitys is doing nothing but causeing more unnesary problems and we don't need any tanking abilitys so please stop trying to turn us into TANKS.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

This is my problem with EQ in a nutshell post level 70 actually. The game starts to lose it's timing around level 70 or so, and continues to get worse the higher you get. EQ starts to turn into WoW more and more the higher level you get in terms of the timing of the game.

At level 65ish, the game is really nicely balanced if you are in average sort of gear. Once the game starts to devolve into the health Yo Yo game, is where it really starts to lose it's charm for me. One of the great things about EQ, is that the timing of fights lined up very well with all of the abilities you have. I.E., you have a lot of meaningful things you could do in a fight, and you actually have time to try them all. EQ is great when a fight is a seesaw battle fought over the course of minutes instead of seconds.

When the game turns into spam heal or die on whoever has agro, it completely loses what's awesome about EQ, and that's it's timing. It eventually gets to a point where even that doesn't work. That single issue absolutely ruins this game for me the higher level you get, as it's a problem that keeps getting worse and worse post 70.
  9. Zahrym Augur

This entire thread is nonsense. There's maybe one fight in the last two expansions you can't survive rampage unless your name is Lady Gragas of the Bad Xorbb romance.

If you're dying ask your hybrids or shaman why they suck.

Deluge can crit for over 100k with a raid heal mod...and is a .5 sec cast, it removes almost no dps if you target swap between a combat round.

Shamans can stack HoT's and have 2 group heals and two single target heals and can't run oom. There is no excuse to consistently die if you have proper AA's and AC.
  10. Gloomfall Lorekeeper

That reply is nonsense. It's nearly impossible to survive a rampage when you are either killed in one hit or dead before the hybrids and shamans can target you to heal you.
  11. Langya Augur

Think this thread mostly about principle. Mainly that classes that do not even have to worry about melee mechanics are better equipped to survive being in direct combat than those that do. Perhaps this is on purpose to "balance" the game or to prevent chain classes other than rangers from subbing in for tanks in group content. Great. A mage can tank better anyway. Both the pet and the master. Bottom line is that its bullcrap. One rounding is just that. It doesn't matter if your shaman is a god or the rangers in a group are better healers than some clerics are (no rogue or zerker should have rangers in their group though). You go splat and that is that. Basically what some of you are saying is " You are F'ed. Suck it up or role a caster". Anyway. You all can have it as raiding isn't worth doing extreme time management just to put up with nonsense in trade for some better gear. Rogues aren't in the bind that they are when you just group.
  12. Phrett Augur

well put
    Gloomfall likes this.
  13. Songsa Augur

Outside of rampages rogues need to take high risks to do top parses especially on combined events. We need to constantly find the back of mobs at the risk of being rounded by trash pulled in your back at same time, or overaggroing cause you just procced a big massive strike, sure we can slack and wait for other people to do the job or simply wait for things to be safe but then your parse will suck, i prefer trying my best and i top lots of parses like that but its really frustrating to always strafe, escape, run in run out, wait for heal, come back and sometimes dying before a very fast heal can touch you etc... to still be outparsed by one people in a corner watching the floor and clicking 3 keys over and over safely.
    Now this is also what i love when i play rogue in this game and would probably be bored playing a caster in raid, i just think things could be more balanced about survivability and risks or risks should be rewarded in parses results.
    Frib and Gloomfall like this.
  14. Gumlakx Augur

How about giving all non-casters a discipline with a short reuse timer that negates the next 3 rampage hits? This wouldn't improve the tanking ability for melee DPS, but would give us an option to survive a little longer against mobs with big rampage.
  15. Harabakc Augur

I don't need more discs. I have one AA clickie(2 counting spire) to boost DPS all the other 6 I use are discs. Defensive dics for rampage further increase the dps gap between melee and casters.
  16. Phrett Augur

... if they ever do get around to tweaking something, I really hope it's passive. just saying...
  17. Brogett Augur

No to discs. Due to the rediculous way rogue dps was increased with the last round of discs we basically are 100% under disc now (instead of making the dps via AAs). That in turn means any defensive discs have a double whammy of also massively nerfing our dps. Not fun!
  18. Songsa Augur

Exactly, discs are a pre-requisite for rogues to do decent dps, without discs or using a defensive disc our dps is terrible.
  19. Frib New Member

How did this thread turn from Assi and Decap/HS to AE ramp ? While yes still needed issues to be reguarded the OP was saying about being able to molo something worthwhile for exp if no groups or off times other then raid?
  20. Langya Augur

Its a survivability discussion. Especially with the level cap of mobs that are effected by decap and assassinate raised, an unslowed lvl 99 mob has the potential to eat us for breakfast. Even more than 2-3 moles or gnomes in Underfoot zones can eat us for breakfast if the healer merc catches aggro and splats. The issue is one in the same. Especially now with slow procs of the "fast" kill abilities (yay irony), both the AE ramp and trying to molo/solo come down to how long you can stay alive before you get a bad round and die. My group geared magician takes hits almost as well as my raid geared rogue. Not the pet mind you. The actual bathrobe wearing idjit who summoned the pet. Granted, if you are molo as a rogue, you should have bags stuffed with utility poisons...but then again, those are procs. They might not go off as soon as you want them.

Fix the AE ramp issue at the mitigation level and the molo/solo issue is also solved. Thing is, much has been said about the theory that rogues and zerks need to remain dependent on a regular group with a real tank for the majority of our adventuring since us tanking better might make us OP and infringe upon the space occupied by monks...which apparently is OK if you are a monk. Maybe we should all change our names to Pip and move to South Park.

IMHO trying to do the solo/molo decap assassination thing after the nerf is pretty much an even bigger waste of time. Its too slow. The AE Ramp issue is the bigger fish to be fried, as that is where rogues and berserkers become less enjoyable. People get really wrapped up in the parses and how they suffer when you have to duck in and out of combat frequently just so you can keep your raid buffs and endurance as a bare minimum. Its the whole double/triple/quadruple standard thing, since Monks have their own standard apart from casters as well classes that can self heal and those who can send in a pet.
    Harabakc likes this.