anti swarming policy?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by frands481, Feb 13, 2014.

1. fransisco Augur

I raided plane of earth when it was current content. There was no such thing as swarming. It required alot of off tanks, and CC.
    If your trying to do it alone, sure swarming is easy. But remember, that raid was designed for 72 people (all pop raids were for 72 people).
  2. frands481 Elder

But that's just the thing. older content now is swarmed unless it's instanced raid wise. I highly doubt you want to instance old school raid zones so higher level peeps can't go to town on them?
  3. frands481 Elder

Anti swarming policies do not cover level deficiencies between players/mobs because they can always exist. especially to farm because there is no viable way to aquire older items needed for some tradeskills. some ability to downtrade in game for tradeskill items without farming outdated zones for characters may be nice. and a downtrade tradeskill system in game would defintely help the inevitable swarms of farming.
  4. Xirtket Augur

Funny, I paid a guild member to PL my alt with beaming, and he used the mage to pull.

The gun comment was a metaphor for looking into your creation carefully to weigh out all possible outcomes and ramifications as best you can before releasing your product.
  5. Kurayami Augur

Absolutely any class can pull a swarm capable of lagging a zone out, some classes are simply better designed to get it going.
  6. Ratbo Peep Augur

If you actually read the text - we see that the graph presented is for the zone being swarmed in, not the whole server.
    The most he stated in the text was that such behavior "impacts performance" across the whole server.
    It was never quantified to what percentage that "impact" actually was (other than the zone being swarmed in). I would suspect that the specific CPU that handles the swarmed zone (plus what ever other zones it handles) would show the most impact - with other CPU's in that server cluster getting "some" but much less impact.
    Mind you - I'm no fan of swarming. I'm just trying to keep the spin out of the facts as presented.
    -Rat
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

I wasn't speaking to smaller zone pulls. I should have been more specific, sorry.
    I've never seen a Mage try to pull the "Fear Not" Evantil instance himself - and live to tell about it.
    But if deliberately inducing lag is the tactic to "properly set up" a good beam pull - it's still a prima facie exploit. (ie inducing lag).
    -Rat
  8. code-zero Augur

You mean this part of the post by JChan?

9. Tharrg Augur

well I solo as a warrior.. so Im green =) However On xegony I stopped going to farm because of the swarming and beam kiting that was being done. me and my wife went there and got trained by the group of Mages that were there because they felt that the zone was theirs and verbally said so. Even when we went out of our way to go to another area far away over the hill near the clockworks.. they trained us farm trash because we were still in the zone. This is why the "change" happened... to combat these players...
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

Yes. Exactly that part.
    "Impacts the performace"
    Ok, well, by how much?? (never spoken to or even implied as to how much)
    Like I said, I'd think other zones on that particular CPU would be "more" affected.
    Anyone who thinks that there is "only one CPU per server"? I can't help them.

-Rat
  11. code-zero Augur

I think it explains all sorts of odd behavior in game such as having a sub 100 ms on ping and still having extremely long zone times, mobs warping around in low population zones etc.

I've seen that a lot in recent months and simply couldn't figure out why my performance would tank when I've got no big load on my game PC and a really fast connection.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think when JChan was talking about the server I don't think she meant the play server as a whole, just a server with X amount of zones and instances on it, not the play server as a whole.
    Sinestra and code-zero like this.
  13. Falos Augur

absolutely no one is pulling 175+ mob trains, not even beam kiters. Considering that the zone starts to rubber band after you've puled approximately 45 mobs people are not even CLOSE to pulling that many. I know people see HUGE trains and like to say / think there are hundreds of mobs in that train but it just simply is not true.

Beam kiters for instance are AT MOST ...AT MOST pulling 80-90 mobs and even that is kinda uncommon, you'll more see them pulling approx 60-75 mobs
  14. Xirtket Augur

That's the only mission that he would do was fear not in evantil.
  15. Kurayami Augur

Wouldn't count on that one, with patience trains this size are possible. You simply have to circle the wagon very often, much more often than preferable. Do silly things like stand in one place for awhile to help the mobs get in a huddle better, followed by intensely laggy games of frogger. For these reasons I would never bother with pulls much bigger than 100 for SK swarming, lag was just too much to make it worth it.
  16. Ratbo Peep Augur

Yes - we agree 100% on that. :)

-Rat
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

Hat off to him then!!
    That's a hard pull for a Bard, even harder for a Ranger.
    As for quantity of critters? In "Fear Not" 100 mobs gets "damn near most" of them.
    80-90 is the more common pull - that last 10% gets into diminishing returns for time invested.
    And significant lag is indeed induced - on purpose - which makes it it an exploit.
    -Rat
  18. Aghinem Augur

The most I have ever done at one time was 124, and that was in Fort Mech 3 years ago. You can't visually count or use the extended target window; you have to use a fresh log and game parse to see how many mobs you encountered. You could also count the number of experience messages you receive, but that is annoying.
  19. Aghinem Augur

Sorry that happened to you and your wife. Unfortunately, a few bad apples spoils a bunch. On Firiona Vie, there were a handful of people that were notorious for training and bullying people if they weren't part of their elite power level group. Abusive play styles against players for the sake of greed is not the only reason this is happening, but I am sure its a factor. Unfortunately, it punishes the 98% of those who don't commit acts like that.
    Sinestra likes this.
  20. Kreacher Augur

You can see that the base population causes about 10% load. A group is causing between 20-30% load and then the swarm is around 60-90% load. What next - Ban groups because they are causing too much lag?

Can we please see a typical load of say a WK raid please? I want to see if those pesky raiders are causing me lag in my groups.