Upcoming changes to group level ranges in instances!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Prathun, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Tubben Elder

Yes, and this would be a good thing.

They should get the first 80-90 levels as fast as possible done. Let them have lv 70 stats and plow through the low level content. Who cares ? And i would also like it, if an lv 100 could group with an lv 1 and get them insane xp fast.. It's not like we know how to powerlevel anyway.

The player are needed at lv 90-100 and not at lv 1-70.
  2. silku Augur

I think it makes a great deal of sense. If you can group with someone and get experience, you should be able to 'mission' with them.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Playing at level 100 is extremely boring, level 60 has far more interesting zones and plenty of them. :) though I am considering leveling to 65 so my kitty pet can get the same buffs as me.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This, pretty much sums up my thinking.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. doktartp Augur

Guess I can help a level 70 do level appropriate missions like DoN without having to shroud to 70 to request, then unshroud once we have the mission.

was even worse helping some one do Vish when they were 80 and I was 100..... had to shroud 5 people to get it. lame.
  6. Prathun Developer

These are good questions.

1. The level spread for experience is currently hard capped at 30, so at least for the time being, 30 levels is all we have to worry about. In the distant future, we may need to revisit whether or not this cap is relevant, but we will not need to cross that bridge for years and it will be a much easier task(tm) next time. For reference, the criteria for experience level range is as follows: Characters within 5 levels of the highest level character in the group will always gain experience. Otherwise, characters must be at least 2/3rd of the level of the highest level character in the group to gain experience. The maximum spread is 30. (So, for example, a level 67 would not gain experience with a level 100, even though she is 2/3rds of his level, because the maximum spread is enforced at 30.)
    2. The min/max levels for tasks will be the trickiest part of this change. There are many permutations of methods that tasks can be assigned that we'll want to test for and ensure that in each case they make sense and are reasonably nonrestrictive. Gear level will not be changed for rewards as that is beyond the scope of this change.
    3. The multiplier for currency rewards in heroic adventures will be scaled differently so that lower level characters can earn the currency at a rate that allows them to purchase appropriate gear. Level 95s will still acquire currency at a reduced rate relative to level 100s, but it will not be as sharp a reduction. The same will be true for experience and coin rewards from heroic adventures.
    4. Answered in #3, mostly, but to reiterate, characters at lower levels will acquire currency from heroic adventures that will allow them to purchase level appropriate gear from the vendor.
    Thanks!
    -Prathun
  7. Prathun Developer

But why male models?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Tarrin like this.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Hopefully not stepping on Prathun's toes here but for reference currently there will be T4 Alaris gear (360 Marks), T4 HoT gear (320 Marks), and T4 UF (260 Marks) available in EK. And obviously that all subject to change as they fine tune things but it should give you an idea of the direction they are heading.
  9. Melanippe Augur

:rolleyes:
    PrathunSOE likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

To counteract the builders bums.
  11. Tarrin Augur

That Hansel is so hot right now.
    PrathunSOE likes this.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

If we can agree on one thing in these contentious times it's clearly that magnum > blue steel.
  13. Tarrin Augur

Not yet. You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.
  14. Abazzagorath Augur

In general, good stuff. However, I don't like the sound of:

"We feel the concept of the average level is confusing and requires unconventional gameplay to work around. We would like to replace it with an actual minimum and maximum level."

I hope this doesn't mean instituting minimum and maximum levels that can participate in an instance, because then its LDoN all over again when we could outlevel them.

I'm hoping this means more simply, "system looks at the max level character when the instance request is made and limits the minimum level necessary based off max level - 30" or something like that.
  15. Prathun Developer

The system that looks at the difference between the max level character and the min level character in the instance and enforces a limit is the 'level spread.' The min level and max level are separate data fields. Most tasks have a maximum level already, but at the top end it's set to level 200 in data which is high enough that it will not interfere with the ability to run a task long after it is no longer current content. The min level and max level are in tight bands in cases, generally, when an event was stratified across multiple level ranges.
    For example:
    TITLE MIN_LEVEL MAX_LEVEL LEVEL_SPREAD
    Find Fibblebrap 1: The Mines 47 52 10
    Find Fibblebrap 1: The Mines 53 57 10
    Find Fibblebrap 1: The Mines 58 62 10
    Find Fibblebrap 1: The Mines 63 67 10
    Find Fibblebrap, The Mines 68 200 30

And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, we have a lot of test cases that we need to ensure function properly and the Fibblebrap line is one example. If you have the time and the inclination and the beta access, please launch the tasks and let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks!
  16. Abazzagorath Augur

This is being applied to ALL tasks and expeditions right? Not just the HA ones? Thinking it would be a better use of some of our time in beta to test old content for some of the time.
  17. Gnub Journeyman

This is a poor answer to mage beams.
  18. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

It'll let Powerleveling happen in Instances, where it'll bother fewer people. Now they just need a policy change making lagging static zones to exploit for XP a punishable offense.
    Sinestra, Ardin, Jezzie and 1 other person like this.
  19. RedJohn Journeyman

I love this idea. Often when im grinding away in lv90-100 zones and i see a 70+ LFG in general channel I like to invite them since I can handle the mobs myself. Now I can invite them to teh missions aswell :)

Any chance you can add HoT and Voa tier gear to Marks Of Valor merchants aswell? Its always nice for people to work towards a clear goal. (thou, maybe this would cause some zones to be empty :/ )
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  20. Azzurri Journeyman

you do realize that if you invite that level 70 character to your group fighting in a level 90's zone that their nukes will be resisted and their melee attacks will miss all the time