Mage bias?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Shaeli, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Shaeli Journeyman

So, I've been getting back into the live servers and everyone just tells me to go mage (or necro), to not bother with any other class.
    I'm more of a melee person and I kinda dont want to box (personal preferance, sense this is suppost to be a social game), so should I bother staying as a berserker or just follow everyone's advice and just trudge through a caster?
  2. Songsa Augur

If you want to play with other people/friends you can do it with your berserker, if you are most of the time alone and still want to have fun i advice you a caster as well if you don't want to box.
  3. Treiln Augur

Mage and Necros are just the kings of solo which is why people are telling you to play them. I personally have neither and am fine. You can play your Zerker and do just fine without boxing either. You'll just have to use mercs up to level 65-70 before groups will really become available for you. I personally like melee as well and that's what I stick with.
  4. Ardin Elder

Imo - play a mage - no problems without getting a group, no problems with getting insane xp, if you want to solo - you can go solo and even kill nameds in current content without much problems. You don't have to fear a nerf bat. Those are my experiences from playing this class.
  5. savrin Augur

I would choose to go with whatever class you like.

The reason folks says to go with mage and necro is that casters are very powerful compared to melle classes in the solo department. Mage pets are best tanks around for soloing stuff and necro dots are super high dps. Necro and mage are like to be nerfed most due to balancing issues. So sure they might be powerful now but at some point they will get nerfed and then may be not be what you want anymore.

Melees are also fun to play in my experience (casters can be boring) and are much less likely to be changed a lot for the worse.(nerfed) but you should keep zerker if you like that.
  6. Shaeli Journeyman

I do like my zerker >.> but the issue is that at 51, even when I'm using the poisons and DS pots, things take forever to die. Not to mention that the defiant weapons are awful in the weapon dps department. Should I bother with the 1.0?
  7. Treiln Augur

Yes definitely get your 1.0 its got the best ratio for melee weapons at your level :)
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Melee tends to suck pretty badly pre 65 and a decent amount of AA, but they really come into their own after that. Every class is the game can be very good if played well and built well.

Casters tend to be less gear dependent than melee, which is one reason a mage or necro is a good first character for people, they are easy to get a leg up on the game and be able to farm things for your other characters. Heck, you can level a mage or necro naked and get pretty far. I think I got my necro to 63 or so with like...3 pieces of gear on lol, I just couldn't be bothered to worry about it as the levels go so fast.

TLDR: Hang in there :)
  9. Dooley Jonkers New Member

"Mage pets are best tanks around for soloing stuff and necro dots are super high dps. Necro and mage are like to be nerfed most due to balancing issues. So sure they might be powerful now but at some point they will get nerfed and then may be not be what you want anymore."

I got a chuckle out of the above statement. As someone that has played more on than off since '99, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for devs to nerf necros too badly. One could argue they've been "OP" since launch...
  10. Tharrg Augur

Hehe... yeah.. necros have always ruled. Before Kunark watching a Necro solo the Priest of Discord... was proof enough for me. Watching them get rez's and having OP pets. and ability to solo almost any camp.. really made me aggrivated that I prefer playing Warriors. Mages. there is a class that has been a beast for just as long. You get a group of them and their pets... and there is no need for anyone else. That is why they have been screamed to be nerfed for years..... the last nerf I can ever remember is when Necros had their Pets nerfed to desummon after being Feign deathed for too long.
  11. Kaneras Augur

I would always recommend playing the class that you want, but also be aware that getting pickup groups is nigh impossible these days. You will need regular guild groups or established friends if you want to progress, no matter what class you play.
  12. Feistmeister Journeyman

Boxing a pair is a means to an end ... if you cannot get a group, fire up the duo and go out and get things. I box a pair mostly with only a Cleric Merc up so I get the leadership bonus and the lowest cost ... but when I need I make it a foursome with (usually) a rogue merc added. Also I use the rogue in balanced so he does not attract as much attention and use up the cleric mana ...

If you have been picking up AC augments and defiant gear you should be in decent shape armor wise ... when you get to 75 or so you can start to do the ocean green theme and from that you can get enough faction to get the emblem along with the Bayle Heraldic Crest ... more than 40 AC from just the two augments ...

In the mean time, doing other quests in the hero's journey can drop nice stuff as well ...
  13. svann Augur

Hah. Try playing a bard and then go back to your zerker. You will then see that things do die very quickly.
    edit: to be honest, I never played a zerker. But still
  14. Tharrg Augur

Play a Warrior... nuff said.... then you will know how nice your dps is.
  15. Fluid Augur

Have you considered a SK? Good melee and nice bag of tricks. A weak pet but a pet never the less.

IMNSHO: I recommend Magicians often. People giving Magicians back handed comments about how powerful they are have a lack of familiarity with other classes. I mean if you have only played say a Rogue and done it badly, a Magician will seem over powered. This is mostly due to less then optimum play style and equipment being 'fixed' by the pet AI.

What a Magician can't do is charm, fear, DOT, mez, enthrall, snare, heal, buff, slow, or root. What they do get is a pet buff, a debuff, and a damage shield which can be applied broadly. This makes stuff like fear kiting or charm kiting impossible. Most experienced players will tell you what's left out are bread and butter techniques for playing other character classes. For instance Rangers are relatively weak melee and casters but they have SoW, weak DOT<for level>, Snare, and Fear Animals spell the combination of which makes it a sure thing to level. Of course you have to be knowledgeable about zones and techniques. Much simpler to just roll a Magician and use a lack of sophistication to kill stuff.

Necro's can even heal through a combination of Life Taps and giving their health to targets. Same holds true for SK of course. If you have the pt for it, you can even add life stealing to your weapons with augments from CR. The combination of life stealing and life taps really cuts down your downtime. Magician? Hope you don't get summoned by a mob! You are limited to potions or bandaging yourself to 70% health.
  16. Shaeli Journeyman

As much as I want to try an SK, there are literally hundreds of them (probably) already on server, not to mention im very afraid of going back into a tank class, if only because of how it discouraged me when I couldnt do it right (used to raid as a warrior, that toon is currently 81 400aa). I am on Bertoxxulous atm.
  17. fransisco Augur

Will you be boxing? Grouping alot? Joining a guild? Mainly solo? Raiding?
    The answer will point you towards which toons will be more playable. Of course all are playable, but soloing with a mage or sk is obviously better than with a rogue or berzerker.
  18. Mithrandyr Augur

The most important thing is to play a class that you like. Everything else will fall into place. You can really make anything work in this game.
    Sinzz likes this.
  19. Shaeli Journeyman

No boxing, im a single account user. I dont care if its free/5 dollars whatever. I'm not wasting my time in a buffbot that will be unuseable beyond level 80 or whatever. I dont want to raid, grouping is nice, but I'd have to rely on pugs, sense everyone is max level and would rather just PL people.
    Honestly, now im debating on leaving because I just literally cant decide, becoming frustrated due to suggestions :/
  20. drkoli Augur

If your flying solo I'd strongly recommend mage or necro. They are best for the solo game IMO.

I have solo'd off and on with my shaman thru the expansions but its not near as effective as if I did it with my mage or necro