New EQ Player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Deatheye50000, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Deatheye50000 New Member

Hello Im Joseph anyway let me just get to it, I'm new to the game I have played many mmo and seem to always stop playing because it just seems to be so empty i played Wow solo pretty much threw the game got burnt out didn't no anyone in the game so i left for a bit, but picked up again then left. Play secret world didnt meet anyone left. same with Aion, GW, GW2. etc But one thing i never did in any of the games was introduced myself and really try to get to any of the player base so i though why not try everquest seems like a fun game i was hopeing to join guild meet people, Im college student on brake at the moment, i also work 2 part time jobs so i may not be all the time but still would like to meet some people in-game.

P.s. I havent even made a character was not sure on what server to join.
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Welcome to Everquest!

Best tip to meet people: ask around to find a guild to join once you have completed the tutorial.

The first few levels can be lonely if you don't already have friends, as there's no need to group, and the low levels pass very quickly. So join in the conversations in the chat channels, ask for help and advice if you need it, find a family guild, and remember that you are here to have fun.
  3. Helrazor Augur

Welcome to EQ! I don't know how WoW is these days but EQ has been around a long-time and is a very complex game, with so much to learn and do. They used to have a guide program were senior players would help out newbies, It was a great tool for asking questions and learning. I play on Test Server it;s a little different than other;s some say it;s ez mode because of free gold status and double exp, but the population is low and there are a lot of boxers (people who play more than one account or character at a time). That being said if you decide to play on a 'live' server, this is my 02c Vox wasn't very kind to new or returning players may opt for a more mature server where you can find a guild or a mentor to help you out.
  4. dc88 Journeyman

Welcome Joseph! Hope you enjoy your experience and find a great guild to get in. You might post which server you have started on and your time zone and play times. I play on Drinal and am in Central Time (US). Our guild is a small family guild, but we have lots of fun and have toons at all level ranges. Send me a PM if you are on our server. We would be happy to help you out. Once again, welcome.
  5. DuchessElindra Elder

For your server the most important is to find populated server at the hours you play.
    If you don't plan on doing any raid Firiona Vie server may be a good idea since you can buy every single item with platinum. I wouldn't advice a progression server since at the moment they are somewhere in between when its not new enough and not really easy going like its on live servers.

All in all, EQ is harder than what you already played, harsher, not very beautiful and a bit overwhelming. But if you take the time to get into it its incredibly huge, complex and you have feelings you never have anywhere else.
  6. Feistmeister Journeyman

Take some time and visit some different servers to try to find one you like "best". There are one or two that have larger low end populations.

The bad news is that the population at the low end is limited. The good news it that it does not take all that long to get up in level to a point where it is easier to find groups.

I tend to solo with a boxed pair (triple with a merc up) as I play at odd times and never liked pick up groups all that much ... but, the good news, again, is that EQ is now very tolerant of varying play styles.

When I started I played with several characters for a bit until I made my first permanent character (I deleted all the scratch ones) after about 6 months of fits and starts. My point being, that you do not have to rush... rolling new characters is part of the challenge ...

I am now running 24 chars (one server) in two accounts so I can make teams up as I wish ... thats my cup of tea ... yours may be to concentrate on one character on one server ... others I know play multiple character on multiple servers (I have enough trouble keeping the one server straight :)) ...

Finding a guild to start is a good move after the tutorial ... watch chat ... guilds announce recruiting efforts there ... also, if the first guild is not to your liking ... try another ...
  7. Bryan Augur

There have been a lot of returning players from around 10 years ago, and many of them are starting from scratch. I did a little over a month ago. I'm in my mid 80s for level and group quite often, though admittedly I box multiple accounts. That gets boring though and when I want I'm able to group up any time I want. I'm in a newbie friendly guild. Find a good guild. I think that's the most important - for learning and for finding people to group with.

There isn't any over crowding like there was the first five years of the game, but I've seen quite a lot of players in newbie areas like cresent reach, level 20+ zones, and quite a bit in level 60+ zones. You won't see many in the level 30-60 range though as those levels fly by very fast.