How do you deal with getting intentionally trained?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rhaul, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Rhaul New Member

Last night a bard named Boost on bristle bane intentionally trained my entire group multiple times. He is 10 levels above our group. Continually he would drag multiple mobs to our group then drop aggro and wipe us.

How would you respond and deal with a situation like this?
  2. bearforce1 Lorekeeper

what you are supposed to do is petition them and than CS will look in to it.

what actually happens is:

1) you petition
    2) you than receive a form email saying they have to see it in person. since they have like 3 CS people any more, they of course do not see it.
    3) 3 days later you get a form email saying that they have closed this matter.
    4) in the mean time, chuckles the bard, keeps training with no repercussions and select trolls on here will tell you it's all part of the game and you should just suck it up and move to another zone.
    Goth likes this.
  3. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Sadly there is nothing that can practically be done. You pretty much just have to suck it up and find somewhere else to go.
  4. Tearsin Rain Augur

personally i'd deal with it one of two ways:
    1. if i have the capability (and the mood that day) to return the favor, i'll do the same back to them.
    2. if not, i'll just pack up and go somewhere else - i find the inconvenience of needing to move my group to another area or zone to be less aggrevation than dealing with that sort of thing.
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Keep /reporting, and /petitioning. Eventually, they'll accrue enough complaints that they'll rise to the top of the pile and get dealt with. In the mean time, why not take a fraps video and post it? At least the players can see what happened and decide if they want to pal around with players like that for themselves.
  6. JacklSK Augur

Noting things like toons name and guild are good as well. You can then shoot off a tell to an officer of his guild and report it to them, screenshots of any conversations you hold with the twit can be forwarded to their officers ( if any give 2 hoots about their membership that is ).

Personally not fond of this next tactic, but let the general channels know whats going on as well, as Qest mentioned, others may then take action of their own accord
  7. Beechwoodgrey Augur

All sound advice above, here's a few more things to do.

As soon as you are able do this quest http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4906 it's an insta click which will get you out of a bad situation than you'll have time to gate, throne..etc. Make sure your friends have one too as some people get upset if you desert them during trains lol. When you find yourself being griefed turn anon on, this will prevent the person from following you. Put the person on your friends list so you can track where he/she is (only works if they are not anon/role) then you can avoid that area. I don't even waste my time giving these people tells..they are little more then dogs with a squeaky toy, their level of excitement is stimulated through the squeaking so no squeaky equals Scooter wandering off bored. If they do try to taunt you through tells simply put them on ignore.
  8. JacklSK Augur

nope, ignoring them = less ammo to use against them
  9. Ashigaru Augur

Sadly this is the way everquest is going - less CS bods available, more community problems, more people leave, even less CS bods. Really impacts on the likelihood of EQN being successful.

You could contact their guild - depending on the officers / guild leader, they will realise that the actions of their guildee may decrease the chance of people applying to that guild. Of course if the bard in question isn't in a big or good guild, that will do little / nothing.

The other option of course is to go vigilante on him and his friends - preferably on a non-related toon so it's untraceable. Training / memblurring / spam-opening trade windows with him etc. And of course, asking other people to do the same. Not nice, not entirely smart, but kinda satisfying. Hey that could even promote a culture of offering to pay for a "hit" on someone.:eek:
    Falos likes this.
  10. Borek-VS Augur

Most of the time I used to follow up with a guild over behavioural issues, it was the guild leader who was the main griefer. And that was before "personal" guilds.

So yes - /report, /petition. You can mention it in general if you like, but expect a flurry of counter abuse from the guilty parties.
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Excuse me, but while I don't condone "abuse," I am one of those who often defends people accused, without evidence, in public, and I am certainly not a "guilty party!"

So often we see that there are really two sides to the story, so no, I don't tend to let people I don't know well be judge, jury, and executioner of who gets onto my /ignore list.

Just last week, this guy on my server was railing in general chat that his girl was "messing with his pulls" and that everyone should ignore/not group with her ever again. Sounds like she's being pretty rude to him, right? Well, it turns out the he was trying to pull the entire zone for a beam group including the mobs she was soloing, and training her in the process! Happily, he admitted the truth, and she got into a good group.

Maybe if you're a reputable player in a reputable guild, I'd consider listening to a complaint like that if the other player wasn't, but even then, I would prefer to see evidence like a fraps video and/or other reputable players with the same accusation of the same player.
  12. Hamshire Augur

If your going to intentionally train someone it turns into a crime scene of sorts......do you or do you not have evidence of the crime? No evidence means the person gets off on it ( unless he/she is extremely unlucky ) with evidence they will get a warning to a suspension. How do you get evidence? You got two easy options.......one they straight up tell you they trained you........this rarely happens but it does.......next easy option is bait them in via getting them to rage or just being proud that they trained you......once you got the evidence /report it and petition. You won't always get them to admit to it even by trying to bait it but ive gotten a few people warning and or suspended a few times with these methods.
  13. Beechwoodgrey Augur

He asked how we individually deal with getting trained, those are the solutions I use as I have no interest in partitioning nor harassing the trainer on another toon because it cuts into my "fun time" and I'd rather direct my time and effort to me and my agenda. I molo for the most part but if I'm in a group of friends I do go along with what they want to do be it partition or stand back and watch as they log on their bard and monk to show off their skills. Getting even is alot of fun ingame if it can be done swiftly (no one is physically harmed unless egos count).

If there was some sort of reward for catching and punishing these guys like a new waist piece (Notched Belt) that has a ton of aug slots that could be given to you for your first capture then subsequent aug rewards I would be more inclined to gather evidence against them. Can you imagine how quickly people would respond in general if you mention you were getting trained? You'd be forming a raid and CS would have tons of evidence from 50+ people. Actually training would become non existent except for people trying to exploit it.
  14. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

No. People would PL groups of their own free accounts just to single-handedly swoop in and catch their own evil-doers red-handed with signed confessions.
  15. Feistmeister Journeyman

Hunt on off hours - fewer idiots and trainers.

Hunt in zones that no one else wants to be in.

If neither of those are possible, hunt in instanced zones ... though that may require boxing or asking for help to get missions.

All three avoids being trained ... its why I don't play in evenings or on weekends ... not for serious leveling or AA earning ...
    JacklSK and Beechwoodgrey like this.
  16. Dandin Augur

To the OP. Contact me in game.

I'll deal with him.
  17. wenlaya Journeyman

Has it occurred to anyone in this thread to send the dude a tell? Sometimes I PL in the grounds and I've trained people, this usually happens if I've been doing it for a while and sort of zonked out and don't see the people. Its not because I don't care or because I'm an assface, I'm just playing bad.

Don't in ooc
    Don't report
    Don't chew the guy out

Send him a tell - "Hey man, you've trained my group a couple of times, could you please pull a different route?"

That usually works. I'll usually offer to throw the dude in my group and get him his experience+ back. This is the case for me and almost any time I've been in the OPs situation.

Of course, there are jorks in the world, and if the dude is a jerk proceed to and troll and report.
  18. dpsdpsdps Elder

you can..petition and watch nothing be done and when you ask for results you'll be told they can't tell you anything about what they do as that somehow violates privacy laws (it doesn't).

or you can post here..and get temp banned for apparently doing nothing because you have magically violated guidelines..when you didn't.

in other words..go elsewhere or play another game because customer service offers you just about no options.
  19. Borek-VS Augur

Yes, totally agree. It's the good old "unreliable narrator" problem that Gene Wolfe taught us all about. My point is that it cuts every possible way: either party could be right, or even neither! So if you do comment in general, don't expect to be believed.
  20. Battleaxe Augur

First I decide if I created the situation that got me trained. Did I stay at a zoneline knowing others trained to it if they were about to die? Did I choose to play in a high traffic area with 1-20 kiters or just pullers about? (Lets keep in mind that you can't hold a single kiter to a standard you wouldn't hold 20 kiters to. Kiting is legal.)

IF I'm not "playing in the middle of the road and complaining about cars" and I'm determined not to find a more secluded area in the zone to hunt in then I send a /tell. If that doesn't produce results I petition, announce who is a trainer in /gu, and make a note about the player and how they play. And then I go somewhere else and do something else - its a big big big game.

Its just not worth it to get into a battle of words in game, retaliate, or continue doing something in game that results in, your fault or not, major irritation.