Hit a wall.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tsurani, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Tsurani New Member

Hey folks,

I am two boxing a 77 ranger and a 76 enchanter. I only have apprentice mercenaries. I am gold and just found out about journeyman mercenaries. My quest was, I am kind of stuck in leveling. Most the good exp mobs kick my butt. My mercenary tank dies cause my healing mercenary can't keep up. I wind up having to bow kite the mobs to zone in to keep from dying.

The only place I have had any luck is field of scale, killing the animals. Unfortunately these animals don't give much exp at all. As in I kill 50 of them and get 1% exp.

Where the heck can I go to level that will not kick my butt? I have tried the oceangreen hotzone. Again. Mobs utterly destroy my group there.

Thanks.
  2. Mary Poppins Augur

First of all, you should've rolled a wiz. Other than that, maybe try dragonvale hills or loping plains from sof expansion? Dsh has those daily tasks from that dude in the tower that gives good exp at that level (I think).
  3. Lisyonok Journeyman

How many AAs do you have? What kind of gear are you running around with?
    At that level you could do Katta elementals (weak con mobs, so not a ton of xp per mob, but there's a lot and they are fast kills. Where I level my toons at)
    Could do RSS, maybe Paw is still lblue.

AAs and gear are likely an important part of figuring out what the problem is
  4. Malkavius Augur

You shouldn't be having any trouble with ench slows/cleric heals. Are you charming? Also journeyman clerics tend to run out of mana faster than a5 since they use more costly spells.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

At that level I was killing in katta (elemental and snakes) snakes being much tougher than the weak con elementals but both mobs all over the place.

Andarriel
  6. Tsurani333 New Member

I only have 106AA on my ranger and 96AA on my enchanter. Been trying to get more. I got my guild to help level me some more tonight, and work on the J5 quest. I will get there, just not quite as fast as I want.
  7. Grummas New Member

Kind of an odd combination you have there my friend, No tank and no heals means you are going to be relying on mercs and lets face it, they aren't worth jack until you have the j5 merc (unless your pre 70). That being said I would avoid field of scale until later and stick to zones like direwind cliffs, ashengate or perhaps see if you can find extra people to join you and hit up some of the hotzones.

I spent a lot of time levelling my alts (and even my main when I came back to eq almost 2 years ago) in ashengate and direwind cliffs. Just the entry room in ashengate is decent, there are 6 mobs there and if you need more you can just open one of the doors and pull some more. They don't hit anywhere near as hard as Field of scale mobs and they don't run unless your killing the orcs/drakkin.

Direwind is a fairly big zone and there are many camps to choose from, my fav was the undead gnolls a little down the ways from the mushroom caves. Penty of mobs to choose from, plenty of safe spots to camp. They also don't hit too hard so with a chanter im sure you can manage to get some decent xp in either of these zones, even with the lower mercs.

Hope some of that helps you.
  8. dc88 Journeyman

I would be doing the Franklin Teek quests for Undershore, Wall of Slaughter and Oceangreen hills each day and getting tons of AA's daily. Get that number up around 600 or so. Then you should get the quest done for J5 mercs. After that, you should do fine.
  9. Reht The Dude abides...

Try stunning the mobs with your enchanter, Spinning into the Void (the single target spin/stun spell for your level) will make tanking significantly easier for your merc.
  10. Mithrandyr Augur

Wall of slaughter is a good hotzone. Have you tried there? I seem to remember the Muramite Proving Grounds and Riftseekers Sanctum (both off WoS) to be pretty good XP. The Farm in Dragonscale hills give some pretty good XP at your level. There are also, as mentioned, the daily tasks from Fenden Helter http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=29799. Every 17 hours or so you can do a quick errand and the two special favors. Iirc the quick attacks aren't limited. Choose whichever mob types you can handle from attack. I usually did the brownies or ladies of the light attack quests as the mobs are 69 nymphs or 69-72 minotaurs. The errand and favor are easy, safe run around and click/gather tasks. The brownie errand is a really easy - pick up of 6 groundspawns in the mino fort. A Special Favor - Entrapment can be kind of tricky. Zam has a great write up on it http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4595.
  11. Deagean New Member

You should concentrate on using your enchanter as you main box and the ranger as support.
    Doing it the other way around with this combo us far less efficient.
    It might even be a good idea to just play the enchanter solo (or molo with dps merc) for a while just getting aa's. You can get the charm, mez and rune aa's to start, and get used to charming, cc etc. if you can get good at that, then nothing is going to stop you going forward. Then you can add in the ranger and more dps while you continue charm killing stuff.
    If you really want the ranger as your main, then get the aa's you need for headshot and then you can just use your chanter for support, but don't underestimate how powerful a well played enchanter can be.
  12. Quirog Elder

You could also just work from Goru'kar Mesa up to Valdeholm as you level.. SoF mobs would be easier on you than the SoD ones.
  13. Quirog Elder

Bah I meant The Serpent's Spine in that last one :)
  14. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

An enchanter is the answer to a weak tank. Tank & Healer mercs should be just fine, especially once upgraded to Journeyman.

If you're on the Bertoxxulous Server, look me up for help with J5.
  15. Tsurani New Member

Wow a lot of replies! Thanks for all the advice guys. I have been playing the ranger as the main and enchanter as support because well. I was always a ranger back in the day. I have been working on getting more AA. Maxing out headshot. I know exactly what AAs to get on the ranger. This is my first enchanter though so I have been really confused by his AA tree. I never even considered charm kiting.
  16. junglenights Augur

Learn everything you can about the enchanter. I think your mistake is playing in a SOD zone. As others have stated, you should be in lower-tier expansions like omens of war and dragons of norrath and depths of darkhallow and prophecy of ro and the serpents spine and the buried sea and even SoF. DSH is also a good recommendation, alongside the dailies and hotzones. You need to build up your aa's and gear and knowledge of the enchanter before you jump into SOD so early.

Btw, I box a paladin and enchanter and they're 65/70 and was mainly playing in POP and OMM. My enchanter has something on the order of 150 aa and the paladin is over 200. I have found it to be a fun and flexible combination, but the killing definitely slows down at these higher levels. I find I got lonely without anyone to group with. Then again, I was playing on the pvp server where it's not as easy to find groups. Most of the players are anon to hide their level and class.

Btw... are hte revamped versions of zones like guk or blackburrow still live? I know of splitpaw being a revamped zone, but how many others are there that you can enter at this point in time?
  17. junglenights Augur

Like I say above, I have a 70 enchanter. You probably know more than me, but I did solo the enchanter up to 69. I'm F2P right now, but here was a list I made for aa's a while back:
    Quick Buff 1/3
    Combat Agility 8/33 - Maybe more...
    Shield Block 3/6 - Maybe more...
    Eldritch Rune 8
    Veil of Mindshadow
    Planar Power 5/5
    Enhanced Forgetfulness 5/5
    Spell Casting Mastery 3/3
    Gather Mana, Mind Over Matter, Azure Mind Crystal
    Fundament of Intellect 6/9
    Fundament: First Spire of Enchantment 3/3
    Fundament: Second Spire of Enchantment 3/3
    Perfected Invisibility 1/1
    Spell Casting Reinforcement 3/3
    Spell Casting Reinforcement Mastery
    Auroria Mastery 1/1
    Self Satis 1/1
    Friendly Stasis 1/1
    Deep Sleep 8/8
    Total Domination 3/3
    Mesmerization Mastery 2/3
    Beguiler's Directed Banishment 1/1
    Beguiler's Banishment 1/1
    Mystical Attuning 2/5

I tend not to charm because I don't have hte time for it since charm breaks too much. The chanter mainly hastes my group (including the pet) and keeps runes up on himself and debuffs our target. There're many things I can do with my enchanter. Just casting runes on my tank can keep him alive in the worst situations, although don't take my word for it. I'm not sure how valuable mana draining is anymore, but I've used it. I commonly mez extras too. And btw when you want to mez something and clear its aggro you have to watch when the target is removed from your target window. This only works if you cast mez onto the target the FIRST TIME, otherwise the memblur won't work. Overall, enchanters are the most comprehnsive class I think.