Enchanter Advice?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ultragnash, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Ultragnash New Member

As someone who played EQ back in the PoP days when I was younger, I've recently decided to come back to the game and play an Enchanter. I have always loved CC and utility/buff classes and much prefer the idea of an enchanter as opposed to a Bard or Cleric. However, I have some questions and concerns.

Obviously the differences between early game and endgame are night and day, but my question is that how does the leveling process work for an Enchanter? Currently all I really do at level 4 is use my Journeyman tank to kill a mob while I debuff and alt-tab. I just want to know what to expect as I gain more abilities such as charming and the like.

Then there's the buffing and utility aspect for playing with players once I'm 80-85+ and away from the exclusivity of the molo game. I'm sure the game has gotten away from the ultra-necessary need for CC but I'd like to know to what extent the CC is still used and how nice the buffs are from my class, seeing as how there are microtransaction potions for Clarity and the like. I've done a bit of lurking and have picked up on some nuances of the game just by reading the forums but I'm essentially discovering the game for the first time since the last time I played was literally ages ago.

TL;DR
    Any Enchanter advice and tips for getting my feet wet and what to expect would be appreciated.
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Try therunes.net/forums. Most of the info is old and out-dated, but it's a place to start.

Maybe do /lfguild and find a guild with an Enchanter willing to teach you?

If you have specific questions, try the casters forum here.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

The potions you mention aren't micro transactions - you can buy them with pp in game. They make a difference, but not a really big one. Much bigger game changers are the mercs and changes to AA and quest experience (at higher levels).

Levelling with an enchanter to 50 is just the same as any other class with a J1 tank. I'm sorry that it's ended up this way, but that's how it is. If you haven't played an enchanter before, you can still do most of the learning required with an intra-safe tank standing by, so there is that. You can charm from teens (not very effective), but it doesn't really become mana efficient until the 40s. You can practice pacify/lull pulling and mez just for kicks, although it will slow you down.

The tank merc starts to slow down in your 60s, which makes it a good time to really master charming. I favour BoT courtyard (charm a gargoyle and kill turkeybees), but, with your merc and a set of Elaborate Defiant, the old standbys of Tipt/Vexd are good practice yards. It's at this point you need to start to sort out your AAs - Total Domination, Rune, Mez AAs and defense (CA/CS to 8, then 13).

Once you move into Omens zones you need to be aware of the charm nerf, and work out reverse charming. The 70s are largely about rounding out AAs (Statis, DBD, etc).

One of the good points about the hot zone daily tasks is that you get to experiment in zones that aren't ideal for charming, and you may get some opportunities for (short-lived) groups.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Clarity potions and many others are available from the SC store, but you're probably better off buying and selling Krono and then buying them from players for plat.

Get help with J5 mercs when you get to level 75. If you're on Bertoxxulous, I'll help you.
  5. dc88 Journeyman

He will not be needing clarity pots if he is a chanter :)
    silku and Borek-VS like this.
  6. Gladare Augur

I charmed my way to 55 recently as a chanter with no mercs. It was extraordinarily easy and quick. Quite fun also. I had a mage at that level so then I started duoing. I did have the benefit of trio jewelry to max out my mana regen though.
  7. Borek-VS Augur

You need to have a good idea of enchanter friendly charming spots to do that. I tried comparing exp with and without a (tank) merc at 55. There was a slight advantage to no merc, but the risk factor, and consequent loss of exp from rez and recovery, turned the tables for me.
  8. Gladare Augur

I just followed the TSS hotzones after leaving the tutorial. I didn't start charming until I reached blightfire moors. I started with rats and snakes and then did some alligator things for a quest. I charmed the plant pods later, but they were not good pets because they're druids. Bixies outside of the stonehive were the best. I then charmed in the stone hive and that was easy too. After the stone hive, I moved to mesa and charmed some centaurs to kill snakes and other centaurs. I grouped with a newbie wizard for the centaurs. We also moved over to do the griffins and harpies in mesa after a few levels on the centaurs. I finished my solo charming in blackfeather roost. By that time I was 55 and brought my mage along.

I leveled too quickly to do most of the quests, but friendly charming spots? You just find a mob that works. I don't know, maybe I've just been playing this game too long to find much challenge in it.

It was the first time I ever played an enchanter in all the time I've played EQ. I really only leveled him to enchant stuff for me. I don't like to power level though so I soloed with him.
  9. Newbie Again Journeyman

At level 70 you can go to DSH with a healer merc. Charm a spider scavenger (robot spider), give it 2 weapons and a haste and lay waste to the whole of the farm (apart from nameds). With a bit of practice you can keep the whole farm down without a group.

Another option is to charm one of those spiders, haste, give it weapons and then invis and root it. Then charm mobs from the farm and send them to die to your hasted shredder. When your charmed pets are about to die, invis and finish them off.

Whatever you do, remember to keep your runes up at all time, the hasted spider WILL kill you very quickly.

This zone is the most fun I've had with an enchanter for ages.
  10. Borek-VS Augur

"Enchanter friendly" just means the obvious: low MR, warrior type mobs that can dual wield when given weapons; ideally close to a ton of lower level mobs. It's good if they don't run when low and are stunnable, but not a big deal.
  11. Gladare Augur

Ah, I didn't bother checking for dual wield and the like. He's only 75 now so I guess I haven't reached a point where it matters. I never bothered with pet weapons either because it felt unnecessary at lower levels, and I killed the pet whenever I afked or it got too low.
  12. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I prefer backstabbing rogue pets to warriors.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

Just so long as they aren't casters. There are very few proper rogue mobs, but the ability to dual wield is most likely if they are warrior type (you can't really say that mobs have a class as such since the very early expansions).
  14. Dandin Augur

Now that I'm done touring with my band. I will update TheRunes.net

What server do you play on OP?
  15. Ultragnash New Member

I play on Bristlebane (for the population, of course). Though, I'm still extremely low level because I've been working a lot the last couple of days and haven't had a chance to play, so I could always reroll, honestly.