New Progression Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rudeboy88, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Rudeboy88 New Member

Hey all

I keep hearing from unofficial sources that there may be a new progression server come next year. I was curious as to if this was confirmed? Can't seem to find anything on google about it. With Mac shutting down and all thought it may be a possibility. :)
  2. Machen New Member

Nothing has been confirmed.
  3. Mabbu New Member

I can unofficially confirm that there has been no official, or unofficial confirmation on the matter of a new progression server. It is officially unofficial.
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Internet rumors aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
  5. Mabbu New Member

You can print the internet? :eek:
  6. Telin Journeyman

If they use the old code from EQMac to recreate a true-to-every-detail EverQuest experience as it was during the beginning--SOE could take my wallet now.:) However, I think the reality is that they want to leave all of that "classic", old code behind them and spend the time on something shiny and new, while spending millions trying. :rolleyes:
    So a new progression server, if any, would probably be the same game but with limiting the content access up to each expansion. Which really isn't appealing to me.
  7. Machen New Member

SOE did such a great job supporting a completely separate code base with EQMac. No thanks, rather not see future progression servers go down that road.

Besides, I think people forget how lousy that old code base was at time. I was just thinking today about the time I got stuck in geometry in Guk, before the rewind command, and my group sat there valiantly attempting to defend me from nearby mobs for several hours while we waited on a GM response to my petition for help. That sort of thing happened fairly often back then, and you had literally no recourse except death or GM intervention. And a lot of the time death wasn't even a great option. Even if you were lucky enough to know a cleric who could rez you, corpses would get bugged stuck in the wall and you'd need GM help to get your gear back. Necros couldn't summon corpses initially either. And often the GM wouldn't respond before your 3 hour rez timer was up, and you'd end up out the experience even if you had a cleric ready and waiting.

Some of the changes that have taken place over the years are just objectively better. The raid window. The guild tool. Autoconsent. Corpsedrag. No longer being restricted to 1/4 of your screen for the viewport while 50% of the screen is just wasted space. Multiple chat windows. Chat channels. Customizable color coded chat. Being able to guild remove people without having to have the person online and in your zone (remember those games?) Zoning in less than 5 minutes. Pets not poofing when you zone. Money not dropping instantly to the ground when you go to make a trade with someone and they back up. Shift-B to open all bags. These are just a few off the top of my head, and every one of them is objectively, unquestionably better than what we had in the 1999 code base, without affecting the actual gameplay in any way.

So no thanks, I can live without going back to that code base, even if it means a less than "true-to-every-detail" classic experience.
  8. Rudeboy88 New Member

tl;dr ty for the responses classic would only last like a day anyway on a new prog server but I'd be down, all this merc business killing my immersion :p
  9. Machen New Member

You realize there aren't mercs on the current progression servers and won't be for at least another 5-6 months or so yet?
  10. Nolrog Augur

Sure you can. You just need a really really tiny font.
  11. Toquillaw Augur

I am waiting to see what happens in Utah when some poor NSA worker uses the "Print All documents" button in Word. :p
  12. jeskola pheerie

I once printed a love letter to Nolrog, but i never sent it....
    Nolrog likes this.
  13. Folkar_CC Journeyman

As a soon to be former EQMac player, I also would love to see a new time locked progression server spun up. I agree that moving the old code base back to PC side would not be a good idea, as only Hobart knows that code. However, having it progress and then stop prior to mercs and defiant armor would give it a similar vibe. I can live with updated zone graphics (RIP North Freeport & Oasis) but it is the Mercs and the Defiant armor that make me cring when leveling. I guess their voting system was their answer to this, going by the majority rule. Loved the game on the PC side from 99 through 03, but lost interest with GoD and OoW.
  14. Rudeboy88 New Member

Yeah another couple months before mercs again on prog.. Vulaks dead Fippy will be as well soon enough (if not already) just merge em and start a new one... EQ could really learn from D2 Ladder and their annual resets.. merge prog servers biannually when only 10 ppl are playing on the farthest progressed one shut it down ("sunset" it) not too hard I'd keep playing em classic-DoN so long as they keep em coming...

And whats with there being 20 servers still anyway could merge those together sooner like I'm sure they will when EQnext comes out (if not "sunset" them) just need to have 3-4 reggie servers, 1-2 prog servers, pvp, and fv voila room for eq to be in its prime once more
  15. Machen New Member

There's still an opportunity to stop the current progression servers before mercs. Just level up some toons and vote no. I don't really think that will help the server population though.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

When they Merge Fippy and Vulak that still will not get you guys any new server. There won't be a new Progression server until the existing ones are current with the rest of the servers, period.

The reason why there are 20 servers and not the ludicrously small number like you said is because the standard servers (with the exception of Trakanon) are healthy. SOE has also learned from the previous mergers; that said mergers actually hurt the population not help it. If you dropped down to the crazy numbers you are talking about then, you're going to have server pops at about 3x what they were at EQs prime.