Dev-Peek? 200k Falling Coding Re-look Plzz~~

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Denial_Sinfae, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Denial_Sinfae Augur

So,

landing and taking 200k is pretty spotty we can agree on if you played through the great "death falling places" (the cliff in PoTime, trying to jump into the river in Natimbi off of the cliff faces, Argath and Evantil more recently).

It appears that the original coding was made to determine when you take 200k damage was based on the duration of your fall. Sounds silly, but it can be shown time and time again.

One way to illustrate it is to jump off Argath spire and tab out to something while you fall.

The other way is to cause some lag for yourself which I have demonstrated in the attached video.

-- Before you watch though, I propose that *if* you can find where the coding is for this in the original game design, that you switch it from some unit of time measurement to a Z-axis measurement of however many in-game units you deem survivable (this may require changes to the safe fall skill, and the additional safe fall ranks from bst, rogue, bard, monk, etc... AA's)

Fanra and Ishtass like this.
  2. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Oh yea, there was another fun time with this. The Crystallos raid on the... Air side? I believe. Not the dragon, but the mini event. It would at a timed interval Gflux you up onto a platform, and then Gflux you back down.

We had people randomly take 200k falling deaths from that built in mechanic not even intended to kill you-- just scatter and disorient you away from your tanks.
  3. Triquience Journeyman

That kinda explains my monk death yesterday. In karana - zoning into dead hills ... I got him to portal, clicked and then switched over to another window to click that toon .... BAM -- my monk took 200k damage for no apparent reason on the walk way.

Maybe i missed the click and he just fell off the walkway? + The switching of the windows?
  4. Nenton Augur

There was a pretty sizable thread on Argath's Spiral Ramp of Doom when VoA came out. Nothing was changed then.

They should just quit needlessly flagging zones non-lev until they fix the falling damage (and then still quit needlessly flagging zones non-lev). Why exactly is Chapterhouse non-lev again? Just to make auto-follow work worse?
  5. Straahdx Augur

Pfft, we would then be able to avoid the KB of random_mob_005623459.

/sarcasm off.

That is one (another) mechanic I wish they would stop repeating..