Best way to bail from bad groups?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dundada3100, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Endo Journeyman

This. However, it doesn't mean you have to be an abrupt about it.

Just say you've gotta go, and give warning: "Hey guys, I gotta go, so only have 30 mins more to play". That gives everyone a heads up, no sweat. However, that does mean you have to log out...saying I gotta go, then staying on-line to do other stuff is kind of bad form..but it depends on circumstances.

Am I the only one that saw in the OP that this toon is in a guild that is raiding EK? Unless this is an alt tank in the guild, i'm assuming the tank should be raid geared. 3 or 4 raid geared toons + mercs should not be having trouble w/ group mobs (generally speaking).

2. Lily Augur

I believe the OP was asking for suggestions how not to be an abrupt ******
    Pirlo likes this.
  3. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Your point is well taken, but your premise is flawed. Knowledge (what NPCs/spell effects boil down to) and positioning are player-based skill, and can be executed just as well by a pet user as a PC tank.

So if the supposition is "all that matters in tanking is being able to take hits", I absolutely agree with you that there is more to it. If the supposition is instead "pets can't be better tanks than PCs", I disagree. A skilled pet user can provide all of those things, and may very well do it better than a given tank PC. In my experience, the third-person view of the fight that a pet class gets is actually highly beneficial to their ability to position mobs and pick up adds, and pets have the potential to have a much faster reaction time to those incidences (pets run faster, have better aggro, etc). Also consider the benefit in situational awareness in that pet users can freely switch targets whenever they want to check spell effect status, HP, etc, without interrupting tanking.

Are pets always better? Of course not. Can they be, in every way? Yes. The fact is that those who are saying "my pet/merc can outtank player X" may very well understand the role that tanking encompasses, and still see the PC falling short.
  4. Tinytinker Augur

I saw the raiding reference as well. It made me think the tank might be an under geared toon applying to a raid guild.
  5. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Agreed. However, if you choose not to enter into the social contract that binds you to helping out your guildmates...you also forego guild benefits. He isn't absolutely beholden to the organization he chose to join, he is just beholden if he wants to continue to enjoy raiding with them, grouping with them, using their guild hall, etc.

The same goes for pickup groups and player society as a whole, you can absolutely choose to leave whenever you want, but don't be surprised if it trashes your reputation and makes it hard to get the things you want from the community (more pickup groups).
  6. Bluejaye Elder

speaking of understanding pet push, there isn't any ...

as for how to duck out of a guild group, the best answer is don't. if you're having problems, chances are the group will break of natural causes after a while. grin and bear it. if the tank is an alt, gear might be an issue. if you're raid guild tank is having that many problems, talk to a guild officer. most guilds aren't rolling in tanks, and helping to get a new app up to speed is something that will help the raid's success. if you are new to the guild, particularly if you're still in your app phase, don't bail on poor groups. guilds are looking for teamwork from apps, and bailing on guildees won't look good for you. if you absolutely can't stand another minute with subpar guildees, then maybe it isn't the guild for you. any guild has its fair share of personality conflicts, but no one really wants to hear your drama about why you won't group with so and so. either pitch in and help folks get up to speed, or go on your merry way. the worst thing you can do is get on your pedestal about how much better you are than your guildees, and how they're not worth your precious time.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There most definitely is pet push.
    Sinestra likes this.
  8. Denial_Sinfae Augur

There is no more PC push, but as Xianzu said...

There most definitely is pet push.
    Sinestra likes this.
  9. Recnarp Augur

Pet push was removed awhile ago.

But to the topic, you just have to find players who share the same mindset as you and meet your expectations. I would just stick it out, leave when everyone is done, and distance myself from grouping with them again. /shrugs
  10. Explicit Augur

For about a week before it was reintroduced. PC push was removed, pet push is still very much in the game.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Sinestra like this.
  11. Sebbina Augur

I have a box crew, and have allowed a tank to be in it, but, I always verify their armor and level- if I don't think they are going to survive as main tank, I tell them they either go ranged attacks or sit and watch and learn, as my mage pet can handle it. I was helped by folk when I needed it and consider it part of paying it forward to help others learn and improve. No one is born as a major league pitcher, quarterback etc. they have to learn and bring out the talents and if you want to play, group , raid with high end folk, then some one has to teach them and help along the road to greatness. If you think you became the uber player that you are all by yourself, maybe you are, and maybe you just aren't a teacher, for sure we have enough folk in our educational system that aren't. If you are in a group and see that one of the characters is showing problems and don't at least check into it, you do your guild no favors. I tend to think that most good high end players have a fair idea of what should be the state of others at any stage of development and would be able to make recommendations even if you don't want to remain in the group. Once you (or anyone) is at the top of their game, there are options, stomp on anyone trying to rise, help them some on the path to the top, sit on your laurels and become aloof from lesser folk.
  12. Edrick Augur

I can't remember the last time I bailed out of a group. This is probably because of three reasons, 1) I box a lot, like many others. And 2) I group for a very specific reason - like doing a mission, or killing a named - so we know exactly what the goal is, and when we will be done. Finally, 3) I forgot what reason 3 was.

Back during Planes of Power, and before, even back to classic, if I had to leave a group for any reason (I really had to log, or they were pretty slow) I would usually say in groupchat that I had to go in 15 minutes, please start looking for a replacement for me. Back then, it was usually no problem, because the game was packed. If they couldn't find a replacement, I felt like I gave them enough time to do so. I didn't bail on them without warning, was the important thing. In my opinion, that was fair to them, and fair to me.

I think the only time I ever dropped a group without giving any kind of warning was when I had to take my dad to the hospital (that was ages ago, he just had an accident and cut up his hand pretty bad.) I think I said "RL emergency must log I'm sorry" /ex. The froglok was almost dead anyway.
  13. Recnarp Augur

Sigh... npc vs npc push was removed. You're free to test it yourself.
  14. Hatsee Augur

This was what I recall the patch notes saying as well. Guess it's verifiable if someone recalls when it changed and can check the notes of that month, but I'm too lazy.
  15. Recnarp Augur

I tested this with 9 swarm pets and a warder, and the mob didn't move a pixel. NPC to NPC push does seem to be gone.

I then tested PC vs. NPC push. Unmounted, the NPC was able to push me like usual. However, I wasn't able to push the NPC while mounted and burning. Was that push removed as well or only noticeable with 54 players? I seriously haven't paid attention to push in the longest time since they fixed pets.
  16. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Yea, I just NDT'd a mob in SL and lined it up with a portal, then took my mage and bard and put something like 25 swarm pets on it from the side....

It didn't move at all.
  17. Explicit Augur

I know what happened with the initial patch removed push entirely, then was later fixed. Thought it was pc that got removed but i guess not. In Mythbusters fashion, i think its time for full scale testing
  18. Camou the Persistent Augur

If you dont have the balls to say that you are leaving, because the others in group obviously dont know their job or are simply lacking skills, you should consider working on your self esteem.

Just say what you think, or they ll never become better, cause they dont know they arent good. Or help them become better, if you have time and wish to do so.
  19. Lily Augur

Binding contract?
  20. Naugrin Augur

When I'm trying to bail on a group with Lily I.....uh.....nevermind.