Unknown Gear

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Minoc, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Minoc Journeyman

Do you have any items hiding away in your bank that can't be found in ZAM or Magelo?

I recently got a piece of gear (that I believe to be 14 years old) that has never seen the inside of the ZAM or Magelo databases. Goggling the item name also reveals nothing. The item may have been released with the game or it may have come into existence sometime around frogloks.

Since Sony is apparently working on a revamp of the EQ Players/Census stuff, I'm not willing to disclose the item at this time. I'd like to wait for the Census information to be made available to see how many of these things have ever been seen, let alone, still exist.

So, who else has ten plus year-old items hiding away that the world doesn't know about?

P.S. Since SOE seems to plan to make the Census information available eventually, if someone from SOE wants to contact me and inquire as to the item and post how many have existed and how many still exist, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'd just prefer not giving out the source, name, and stats of the item at this time.
  2. Yther Augur

Zam uses Lucy Item Collector, Magelo uses their collector, eq-items uses their own collector. EQ Players was linked to the servers somehow to get their info. So I doubt revealing the name would get anywhere, since everything is automatic. Now if you linked it to others that use one or more of these collectors, then it'll get out.

Here's an old, and apparently 1-time item, that took 6+ years to get into the Zam database. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=54330

I use many collectors, so I have no unknown and unseen items. Many of the things I upload are unknown. Still irked I couldn't find the source of the link to a dagger that appears to come from DoDh expansion. I keep thorough logs too that I had searched, but may have been after a hard wipe and lost it.

Yther Ore.
  3. Drewie Augur

Even regular in-game items can take some time to appear in Lucy and Zam. I recently uploaded Tome of Tendon Sever Rk. III from the Secrets of Faydwer expansion that was released in 2007, six years ago. And it only happened because we did an old SoF raid, and I asked a berserker to loot a rune, to give her to the NPC and to link the spell to me before scribing it, while running the EQItem collector.
  4. Minoc Journeyman

Thanks, I didn't know about eqitems. I checked their site and it isn't listed there either. The reason I don't even want to give the name of the item right now is it would give away where the item can be obtained.
  5. Kamea Augur

Is it a good item? IE, did it have incredibly good stats for the time, or a rare effect that could be fun and/or useful?

As far as unknown items, I'm sure some obscure cultural gear isn't in zam or magelo databases, perhaps older cultural gear for certain drakkin classes. While good true artifacts like Oakwynd (circa 1999) have a lot of views and comments on zam, I would imagine some less impressive artifacts from back then aren't uploaded.

I remember years ago there was a thread about the plethora of unfinished and/or bugged quests in the game. I would imagine there are a lot of items from those quest lines that are unknown to us.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yther like this.
  6. Yther Augur

Some we have seen because people are horders, and/or if they're tradeable can appear on the buyer screen (although that doesn't seem to work as well as it did before they removed eqplayers) like the keys that went to Unrest that no longer drop or work there. But I'm also sure there are plenty of things we haven't seen. Then there were so many fake items before item linking and the heavy use of item collectors.

Chum: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=85056 I uploaded in Aug of 2009, the expansion came out in Feb of 2007, and it showed up eqplayers as being already discovered on some servers (maybe even my own), but didn't show up in /buyer, as I had to make it to get it to upload to Lucy, as just another example of how things get missed.

And yea, I'm one to go look for it, if it's clear where it came from, just 'cause I like to see everything and let everyone else be able to see it too. It's just a game.

Yther Ore.
  7. Abazzagorath Augur

Why do you care so much. You didn't create it. Odds are, other people have had it, considering they could look up item IDs and see which items had never been added to lucy, look at the item before and after it, and with high probability narrow down where/when it came from.

I remember getting fabled queen's carapace the first year velious was fabled, and never cared it wasn't uploaded until the next year's fabled. Who cares?
    Yther likes this.
  8. Edrick Augur

Is there an issue with uploading it to Zam and having your name go along with it? Norrath is my world too, I want to know everything about it.

Also, I'm going to PK and corpse camp everybody in the Minoc mines. Beware!
    Yther likes this.
  9. Crystilla Augur

Why? That's pretty obvious to me at least - the OP cares.

Why do some like raiding and others don't understand it/dislike it with a passion. Why do some love trade skills and others see it as a stupid time sink. Why do some love housing and others can't be bothered. Why are some people obsessed with collecting illusions and others could care less.

Folks love it when they figure out one of those old broken/unfinished quests from years ago; this isn't all that different. For a game that's this old, if there is something unknown or unseen before (or rarely seen), that can be a big draw or make some feel good.
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  10. Yther Augur

I think the point is, why keep it hidden and not share the excitement with others, especially when you get credit using zam's item collector, or eqitems (but zam is more popular and widely viewed). And as far as I know, as it showed discoveries years before it went online, that the info is still saved on the servers and whenever they get it back up it will appear there, if he is actually the one to discover it.

Anyway, why keep it a secret, especially if you're going to get credit for a discovery, simply by sharing it using an item collector?

Yther Ore.
  11. Fenthen aka Rath

I wasn't aware collectors could record an item by viewing it's information/link. ;)
  12. Xikteny Augur

Indeed, they can.
  13. Minoc Journeyman

Great post Crystilla.

As I said, I do eventually plan to let the world know about it. It isn't a great item. No one is going to go seeking this item out unless they are an item collector. I just prefer to wait and see how many of these show up in the census. If I reveal information before the census, and people go out and grab one, I'll never know if it has really been seen before.

If this were an item from a recent expansion, or even one as far back as Luclin, I would have just added it to ZAM without a thought. The fact that this item might have been from the glory days of EQ, when millions of people played, and hasn't been listed before is what makes me want to wait.

I'll see if I can do some more research on the item to figure out exactly when it came out. If anyone has a way for me to get the item ID (and item IDs are somewhat sequential), then perhaps I can figure out when it came out.
  14. Minoc Journeyman

I'm not sure why I couldn't edit the post above a second time. Here is some basic info on the item.

It is a shield.
    It is Lore, but there is no lore on it other than the item name.
    It is Magic.
    Size: Large
    Weight: 7.5
    AC:11
    HP: 10
    Disease: 3
    Poison: 3
  15. Abazzagorath Augur

You can't edit because editting is only allowed within 30 minutes of the post being made. After that, no edits.

I believe you guys missed my point. There is no prize for "discovering" an item. 99% of people listed as the discoverer on eqplayers when it existed weren't the person that discovered the item anyway due to most content existing prior to the database existing. Its unlikely we'll ever even see anything like that for this game again anyway due to resources, and even if we do, its not worth waiting around years for it to get your name listed as the "discoverer" that no one bothers ever seeing or caring about. If you want credit where you CAN get credit, then upload it to lucy, to magelo, send a picture to allah with your name in a watermark, like my old name here:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12510

so that you get "credit". There isn't any other option. Devs aren't going to talk to you about some 13-14 year old obscure item (which, I'm going to be honest, looks actually more like 11ish year old imbued cultural shields or the subcombine unimbued versions from the stats, the stuff where half of it wasn't made for some races because no one used it when it came out and only a couple of the shields were ever made because they were truly awful at the time and a waste of a temper).

I'm not saying its dumb to care about it, if that's your thing, glad you have something you like doing in the game like that. I'm saying its dumb to post here like you did and then refuse to upload it as if you're magically going to have something special happen about it. If you want credit, upload it via lucy item collector, send a watermark pic to allah and maybe they add it sometime in the next 5 years, and add it with magelo item updater.
    Yther and Ishtass like this.
  16. Straahdx Augur

;t itemlink. That will give an id. (do this in game, of course.)
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

18. Recnarp Augur

What about them hacked items on FV?

we dont talk about those
  19. Tobynn Augur

lulz at all the cloak and dagger
  20. Edrick Augur

Listen pal, you're in over your head... just walk away, and forget what you saw today.