Failing to fail? (SL raid ach)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Augok, May 27, 2013.

1. Augok Lorekeeper

We just spent a good few hours TRYING to fail SL guesses... We get 2,3 or sometimes even 4 in on the fails and then. "X is not the murderer but shares many of the same traits as the murderer" thus failing the achievement. (We know this fails the achievement from experience)

Now I understand its quite possible to get the fails.. but should it really be harder to Fail guessing than to do the fight afterwards?
    I know some other guilds on the server are doing the same as well and failing to fail.
    (Before someone asks guessing someone who doesn't meet the first clue fails the fail as well and gives the same emote.. .At least few the times we tried that.)
  2. Iila Augur

You can get that emote, but the achievement counts the full reset failures. So you need 5 of those, not just 5 wrong guesses. We got a bunch of those emotes from bouncing fake murderers while trying to fail, so long as you can get a false confession that triggers the DT and reset, you'll be fine.
    The false murderers need to match the real murderer in some ways. You can't just pick someone who goes against all the clues. It does get kind of hard and there's a chance you'll randomly get the right murderer. And you only get one confession per a witness, so make good use of them.
  3. Augok Lorekeeper

Yeah we know the full reset thing...
    That emote is the one that comes when you don't get the reset. Just really annoying to keep failing to fail by random luck :(
    An example one of the emotes we got was Not shorter than an elf.. So an ogre says I am the murderer and gets the failed fail.
  4. Gragas Augur

If you are trying to guess after one clue the incorrect murderer it is going to be a long and unproductive night.
  5. Augok Lorekeeper

If you DON'T guess it after 1 it fails the achievement. (From experience)
  6. Iila Augur

No.

I'm not going to go searching for which logs we did them in, but we've gotten this achievement twice, and never got a false murderer past the first round either time. We usually had 2-4 failure confessions each round. I'm not sure if/how it gets harder to guess false murderers each round, but it seems like it did and we certainly had a total of more than 5 people confess.

Make sure you're getting the emote with the reset, and count those. It might be possible to bug, but not by getting the 'close' emote on your first guess in the round.
  7. Hatsee Augur

I'm confused.

Are you attempting to falsely identify the murderer on the first attempt each time and quitting if you fail this because you believe that it's the only way to get the achievement? Then telling people that have done it multiple times that they are wrong and you know because you've never gotten the achievement?

Or am I off the mark here?
  8. Augok Lorekeeper

Interesting.

Every time we have had that fail it has continued with that until only one witness left (done that like 10 or so times in the past) and every time we got past 5th witness (with failing fails) it stopped giving any fail message what so ever.

I guess we could have just been really unlucky on those runs giving us false information or something bugging:( but still it seems its harder to get the fails than anything else.

@Hatsee no just failing to explain myself and having bad information from bad luck on doing this before it seems. Guess we'll by trying to fail again tonight ;)
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ok have I got this right
    1. Wrong murderers which resemble the real murderer do not count towards the 5 fails.
    2. The only fails which count for the fail achievement is the one with a reset of who the murderer is.
    3. After a reset none of the previous clues are valid.
    4. Each time we get a fail of either kind we have 1 less witness to get clues from, or is this just the resembled emote?

We had a crack at this a couple of weeks ago and didn't get the nasty AE but we understood it less then and were using people who the clue had already eliminated. We now understand it has to be someone the clue hasn't ruled out.

Not easy to get my head around a wrong guess not being wrong :p
  10. Iila Augur

The "X is not the murderer but shares many of the same traits as the murderer" emote doesn't seem to be very accurate, since it's also the emote you get when someone who's been eliminated by all the clues tries to confess.

I think it has to do with matching so many of the general clues, and how many you've seen. If you can match all the general clues and not the specific ones, then you'll get the DT and reset every time from what I've seen. But you can match none/some of the general clues and get told to keep trying. You get one guess per a witness, they can be soft failures, hard failures, or correct. Hard failures would be the DT + reset ones that you're looking for to get this achievement.

A new murderer is picked after a reset, stepping up on stage will show the known clues for the current game.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Tried this tonight and didn't get to the priest...who would have thought failing was so hard. We got the 5 fails a couple of times and then failed to guess the murderer right on the 6th guess.

Final try of the night, got the first fail, killed 3 more witnesses and tried to guess it wrong and got it right! Couldn't do anything for laughing then. :)

Learning all the time, but its hard to fail!
  12. Axxius Augur

Wouldn't it be faster and easier to simply have a random person confess immediately each round, and keep doing that until you get 5 hard failures, and then proceed with the event?
  13. Augok Lorekeeper

You still get the X is not the murderer a few times on that its pretty much what were doing but picking the one so we have our clerics and tanks fully ready for boss when we get there.

Also one yinla is refering to is a random guess being right with very few clues (having had X is not the murderer on the ones before it) not just killing the things straight down but trying to confess for hard reset and happening to get it right
  14. Axxius Augur

1. Pick 2 players in raid who have absolutely nothing in common, i.e. not a single clue that applies to player A would apply to player B, and vice versa.
    2. Start the event.
    3. Player A confesses.
    4. If it's a soft fail ("X is not the murderer but...") then Player B confesses.
    Edit: Ah nm, they may both share some (different) clues with the real murderer. My bad.

Ok, then try this: kill 5 witnesses, and then find somebody who fails all 5 of the clues, and have that person confess to get a hard fail. And do that 5 times.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Failing all 5 clues isn't easy, the first ones are normally class/size/from, you still get several people that match no more than 3 clues out of 5.

for example, not a priest, not a large race, not human size, from faydark, not a pure caster.

We will get there just need a bit of patience and a bit of luck.