Necromancer: A few newbie questions..

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Twong, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Twong Journeyman

Hi

I am new to the necromancer (I am lvl 52 Froglok) and I have a few questions:

1. Dots, do all of them stack?
    2. Is it always better to give the pet a weapon no matter how bad it looks?
    3. Think I can solo an ashenbone broodmaster in PoH and is it worth it to get pet focus? I got 4k'ish mana and hp.
    4. Is the rogue the best mercenary to us necromancers?
    4.1 Or do you keep all for different situations?
    5. A little OT, but what is the fastest cheapest mount from the station store?
  2. Forcallen Augur

Most do but there are lots that don't

Weapons are good.

Not sure, hire a tank merc and give it a try.

Tank merc is your best bet until like 60 or 70 I think, then most use a healer merc when pet tanking or no merc at all when kiting/root rotting.

Basically.

Not sure.
  3. Tachyon Augur

Just about all our DoTs stack. The only significant line that's a bit different is our lifetaps over time. The damage stacks, but the self heal does not. This is good to remember because they have a nice resist mod so they can land on mobs that may have high resists against our other DoTs.

If you don't like pet appearance, check out some of the petramorph wands that let you cast different illusions on them.

Here's a great thread at Necrotalk with some pet foci info...
    http://necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=5835

Rogue merc is good, though I'd experiment a bit without one at all. Solo xp is pretty strong for a necro if you pick your DoTs well.

Not sure on mounts, though they are nice to kite with if you get a faster one.
  4. Noobieguy Augur

At lower levels I think everything stacks, but after level 80, the Ignite line and Pernicious wounds / Necrotizing wounds does not stack. Believe the disease dot the debuffs STR and AC won't stack either.

Can use a tank merc up to about 60 to 65 ish as Forcallen said, after that get a cleric merc for buffs, and in case you have to pet tank a mob the summons. Solo exp will be better than most anything else if you get good at it, a stacked high DPS grp with a good puller can be better / as good though.
  5. Lily Augur

If you want a cheap mount, how about free? /claim
  6. Twong Journeyman

Thank you for your replies.

@Lily - no mounts there. I haven't decide to go gold or RoF yet. I don't know if gold would yield a mount?
  7. Twong Journeyman

No mounts there. I haven't decide to go gold or RoF yet. I don't know if gold would yield a mount?

Thank you for your replies.
  8. Lily Augur

I thought FTP would get the Verdant Hedgerow Leaf from HoT expansion.
  9. Twong Journeyman

You don't and tbh I think that is fair enough. I am a returning player, but starting with FTP, because I want to be sure before I start an annually subscription.
  10. Komm New Member

1. As stated above, life tap stuff won't so pick which you are going to use.
    2. Honestly it depends on if I expect my pet to live long enough to get him weapons. Sometimes they last weeks, other times they last a few fights. Depends on the zone and how its being used.
    3. Lots of pet focus items out there, you can even get them from the gear guy by the CR stone up to lvl 70.
    4. Personally, I prefer a wizard. I like to kite a lot, and it's not hard to keep the mob in the wizards range. Our dots + thousands of dmg blasts from a wizard can drop a mob rapidly.
    4.1 I keep them all. Depends on what I plan on doing though.
    5. No idea, think others might be better at answering.