Epic 3.0

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burdi, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koveras Elder

I do have an idea that could come close to like an Epic 3.0 Quest, I been thinking about this for awhile and I figured I should post this thought so here is my thought below.

If the dev who's been doing Epic Ornament Quests (witch I haven't heard about in a long period), I think he should continue his work but in turn instead of Epic Ornaments, players should be given the option to turn their Epic 1.0s and Epic 2.0s into Epic Evolving Weapons, not sure what others personally think about this idea but here are some examples on how this can turn out.

All 1.0s: Every Epic 1.0 as Evolving Epics should gain an additional type 4 slot as well as two type 7 slots as they evolve, they should also have Heroic Stats since they (after all) are Epic Weapons.
    All 2.0s: As mentioned above for Epic Evolving 1.0s, expect an additional type 8 slot instead of the type 7 slots, further more they take a much longer period to Evolve then their 1.0 counterparts.
    Bard Epic 1.0: If Singing Short Sword becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will also provide Melee Overhaste and Heroic Strength Bonus, attack bonus will also increase
    Bard Epic 2.0: If Blade of Vesagran becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further increase the critical dot chance and improve accuracy, also provides a small additional bonus to take less damage from direct damage spells.
    Beastlord Epic 1.0: If Claw of the Savage Spirit (both it's primary version & secondary version) becomes an Evolving Epic, it's proc effect from the primary hand version further increases the disease counter and it's dot effect in turn also becomes much more potent then before, as for the secondary hand version, it's worn melee haste further increase as it evolves (among other stats), up to a max of 46%. As for it's focus effect, it spell damage for cold-based spells further increases and works for all spell levels regardless.
    Beastlord Epic 2.0: If Spiritcaller Totem of the Feral becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect increases the chance to double attack by 10%, further more it also increases chance to dodge by 15%, hit point bonus from the clickie effect increases up to a new max of 5,000, last but not least it's proc in turn can do up to a max of 1,500 dmg per proc.
    Berserker Epic 1.0: If Kerasian Axe of Ire becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will not only grants additional attack bonus and armor class but also strike-through and accuracy, further more it's clickie effect will also last longer by a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level). Further more it should also be granted a skill mod for Smash that increases as the weapon evolves.
    Berserker Epic 2.0: If Vengeful Taelosian Blood Axe becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further increase strength cap up to 300 max, further more it's proc effect will deal even more damage as the weapon evolves.
    Cleric Epic 1.0: If Water Sprinkler of Nem Ankh becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will eventually offer a 99% Resurrection, further more it also lowers the timer for Resurrection Sickness. Last but not least should also get a proc (witch is both for melee and for casting) that decreases aggro and grows more powerful as the weapon evolves.
    Cleric Epic 2.0: If Aegis of Superior Divinity becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will actually offer a small bonus to Balance Party Health by a max of 10%, further more it's hit point recovery further increases up to 6,000 points, it's Remove Detrimental also increases by 18. As for it's focus effect, it should decrease hate even more and should affect all levels and not up to 75th level. Last but not least, the shield should also gain a skill mod to Bash witch increases as it evolves.
    Druid Epic 1.0: If Nature Walkers Scimitar becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect not only dose more dot damage but also functions as a powerful snare that lasts a longer period as the weapon evolves.
    Druid Epic 2.0: If Staff of Everliving Brambles becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect increases spell damage up to 100% max, further more it should also affect for all spells regardless of level. As for it's focus effect, it should decrease hate even more and should affect all levels and not up to 75th level.
    Enchanter Epic 1.0: If Staff of the Serpent becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will increase melee haste up to 70% and will increase Agility, Dexterity, Attack bonus and Armor Class by a much higher rating, further more it should also increase chances to critical hit, chance to triple attack and critical damage.
    Enchanter Epic 2.0: If Staff of Eternal Eloquence becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further increase the amount of damage it can absorb, further more it will also decrease even more aggro. As for it's focus effect, it should decrease hate even more and should affect all levels and not up to 75th level.
    Magician Epic 1.0: If Orb of Mastery becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will summon a much more powerful pet, further more it also gets a Enhanced Minion Effect that constantly grows in power as the weapon evolves.
    Magician Epic 2.0: If Focus of Primal Elements becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further increase the pet's hit points as well as it's hit point regen and mana regen, further more it's defensive proc allows the pet to get more aggro, it's offensive proc also deals even more damage as well. As for it's focus effect, it should decrease hate even more and should affect all levels and not up to 75th level.
    Monk Epic 1.0: If Celestial Fist becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further increase melee haste up to 70%, it will also further increase both attack bonus and armor class, in addition it should also grant a bonus to heroic strength, dexterity and agility, last but not least it's duration will last even longer for a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level).
    Monk Epic 2.0: If Transcended Fist of Immortality becomes an Evolving Epic, the proc from it's clickie effect will deal even more damage as it evolves, further more it's duration will longer for a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level).
    Necromancer Epic 1.0: If Scythe of the Shadowed Souls becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will deal even more dot-based damage, further more it's duration will last even longer by a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level). Last but not least it's casting time will also shorten down to a minimum of 4.5 seconds.
    Necromancer Epic 2.0: If Deathwhisper becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will summon even more blood skeletons (one additional blood skeleton per evolving level) as they function as a pet swarm, It's focus effect in turn will also grant a small additional chance to perform a critical dot.
    Paladin Epic 1.0: If Fiery Defender becomes an Evolving Epic, it's proc effect will not only grow more powerful in terms of damage but will also stun even higher level encounters as it evolves, further more it becomes even less resistible up to and including unresistible. Last but not least it also gains a skill mod for Bash and Fire damage as well.
    Paladin Epic 2.0: If Nightbane, Sword of the Valiant becomes an Evolving Epic, it's offensive proc from clickie effect also becomes more powerful as it will dish out more damage and stun higher level encounters, it's focus effect in turn also becomes even more powerful as it affects every healing spell regardless of level. Last but not least it will also gain a skill mod to Bash and bane damage to Undead as it also evolves.
    Ranger Epic 1.0: If Swiftwind and Earthcaller become Evolving Epics, Earthcaller's proc effect will further increase melee slow up to 70%, further more it's dot becomes even more effective as Earthcaller keeps evolving, last but not least it's proc effect will also last longer by a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level). As for Swiftwind, it's worn melee haste simply increases up to a max of 46%.
    Ranger Epic 2.0: If Aurora, The Heartwood Blade becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will simply improve accuracy and chance to critical hit as it evolves, further more it's focus effect will affect all spells regardless of level as it also grows in power as the weapon evolves.
    Rogue Epic 1.0: If Ragebringer becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect it will not only grants additional attack bonus and armor class but also strike-through and accuracy, further more it's clickie effect will also last longer by a few additional ticks (one additional tick per evolving level).
    Rogue Epic 2.0:If Nightshade, Blade of Entropy becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will further improve Triple Backstab as well as Deceiver's Blightstrike, further more it's skill mod to Backstab will also further increase.
    Shadow Knight Epic 1.0: If Innoruuk's Curse becomes an Evolving Epic, it's proc effect will grow even more powerful, further more it will also become even less resistible up to and including unresistible. Last but not least it also gains a skill mod for Bash and Corruption damage as well.
    Shadow Knight Epic 2.0: If Innoruuk's Dark Blessing becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect becomes even more powerful as it will drain more hit points from opponents Further more it's focus effect will become even more powerful as it will also affect all drain type spells regardless of spell level. Last but not least it also gains a skill mod for Bash and Corruption damage as well.
    Shaman Epic 1.0: If Spear of Fate becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect becomes even more powerful as it's effect will last an even longer duration (one additional tick per evolving level).
    Shaman Epic 2.0: If Blessed Spiritstaff of the Heyokah becomes an Evolving Epic, it's totam will last a longer duration as the weapon evolves, further more it's healing effect becomes even more powerful, last but not least it's focus effect decrease hate even more and should affect all spell levels.
    Warrior Epic 1.0: If Blade of Tactics, Blade of Strategy and Jagged Blade of War become Evolving Epics, here is what I have in mind for each.
    Blade of Tactics: It's worn effect will further increase dexterity and armor class and provides an attack bonus as well as accuracy as well, this grows in power as the weapon evolves.
    Blade of Strategy: It's proc effect deals even more damage as well as more hate, the weapon will also grant skill mod bonuses to both Bash and Kick.
    Jagged Blade of War: Because the Jagged Blade of War forms as soon as it's combined with Blade of Tactics and Blade of Strategy respectfully, it starts out as an separate Evolving Epic in it's own right, it's proc effect will deal even more damage as well as more hate, further more it also grants skill mods to Bash and Kick respectfully (Warriors should also one day get the 2H Bash AA).
    Warrior Epic 2.0: If Kreljnok's Sword of Eternal Power becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will increase the max hit points even more, further more it's focus effect will also further increase aggro. Last but not least it should also grant skill mods for Bash and Kick respectfully.
    Wizard Epic 1.0: If Staff of Four becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will absorb even more damage and further increase mana regen. Further more it's casting time will also decrease down to 7.5 seconds minimum.
    Wizard Epic 2.0: If Staff of Phenomenal Power becomes an Evolving Epic, it's clickie effect will last for a longer duration, further more it's focus effect should decrease hate even more and should affect all levels and not up to 75th level.

This is what I have in mind for Epic Evolving Weapons, if anything the quests themselves should be entirely solo-able
  2. Adolf New Member

They also said there would never be a LVL 100..
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. fransisco Augur

The problem with changing epic effects is that they are either useful, or lvl capped (and worthless).
    The good epic effects (like SK) are percentage based and have no lvl cap.
    Bad epic effects (like mage) are lvl capped so worthless
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

I hope they change their mind in future regarding epic, completing the staff of four in Velious was the single greatest accomplishment for me in EQ, no other single event made me feel as proud or given me the sense of accomplishment i felt as the day i got my epic. I stayed up way too late to finish it, got up way too early for work and spent the entire day on cloud nine because i got to tell my friends/coworkers (who played EQ) that i got my epic.
    Sonavaa_Bertox and Geozen like this.
  5. CaRnon Augur

6. Coldfury New Member

You know it would be a lot easier for them to simply boost the stats on the current epics and call it a day. They are doing that with the zone revamps in RoF, so why not do that with the epics. Boost the click durations or effect and increase the stats on the weapon to equal a VoA raid item. If the issue is the quest would be too easy then simply make a new revamp version of Anguish and up the mobs, just like they are doing for all of the RoF content. Would make everyone happy, and be easy for the dev's to make it happen.
  7. Malachi Augur

But at the same time it brought A LOT of people together. And created some of the most memorable moments a game can offer a person. The lore it offered (i know game lore is a bad word to a lot of players nowadays) was massive and immersed me completely. The excitement to finally finishing my epic kept me up all that night and thru most of the following day (lol faked sick for highschool and played a few more hours till my body crashed from exhaustion-good thing it was a Friday)

Every guild I've joined I did so because I happened to be in the zone in which a group of people or an individual was working on some part of their epic mini quest and needed some assistance. I'd argue all the meaningful relationships I forged ingame (apart from some awesome random pick up groups somewhere to grind) were mostly due to helping someone with an epic.
    Moklianne and Geozen like this.
  8. Tarrin Augur

What if you never cared for your epic click effect, even when it was current? :(
  9. Brosa Augur

Some people just don't understand what Epics were all about. An EPIC quest! You can't say I want a new Epic, and then say, but without all the questing and Big Bad Bosses to beat.
    Although I would like to see a new version of "epics", I wouldn't want to take 15 months trying to wedge myself into several perma camped names/drops or round up 40 other groupers (or call on favors of raid freinds) to take out a raid event in order to do so.
    I like some of the posts on integrating a new "epic" into the up coming content. But lets not call them "EPICS". Maybe Saga(s) or something less godly and daunting than an "epic".
    Last expansion or so you got a reward for fully progressing, killing every named in said expansion, ect , ect. How about that reward being a kickass weapon ornament/aug specific to your class. One that evolves through future expansion as you meet the requirments.
    Just mash all the good ideas together, strain out the bad ideas, cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes and you get some thing feasible for the devs to eat. Just don't call them epics.
  10. Turayalon Lorekeeper

Copy/Paste Quest has no room for such things anymore my friend.
  11. CaRnon Augur

I see about as many posts of people complaining about not being able to find a exp group as I see epic 3.0 requests... you think if people cant find groups they will be able to find help for new epics?
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I'm sorry but the Lore part is honestly the easier part of the Epics. One person can do the lore for an entire epic in a few days. It is all the other things that really take the time.

While the current Dev line is that there will never be Epic3.0 or anything like it again. I try to avoid never. But then I also think that the main reasons why the Dev's are against it are somewhat contrived and could be easily avoided with solid advanced planning. Epics be good enough to last to about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way thru the expansion that follows; the worn effects are designed to have limits; the clickies are equally useful to all classes long term; and the general Epic Quest design is the same for each class with the major fights being against the same mob, with the drops varying depending on the make up of the requester's group. The major differences would just be the lore for each class. TSs should be included, but as usual they should only be around 100 skill or lower. It isn't hard to get any TS to 100 or near it; plus the TSs can vary by class so that the ones used in the new quest match the ones from 2.0 for that class.

Really Jayla's outline is pretty good for the most part. Maybe add a couple steps to each part and it would be fine. Overlap for the majority of the Quest with the Lore and TS parts being what separates the Quests from each other. So really reduce most of the production by a factor of 16; the only things that stay at the old level are lore, TSs, item design and item art.
  13. Burdi Augur

The epics quests were quite fun to do and generated memorables events.
    Of course they was a bit of drama around them, but it is part of human nature.
    Removing epic will not remove drama.
    Designing a new epic quest set requires a bit of work, but after all what are the dev supposed to do?
  14. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Not true, SOE, even as far back as the Verant days never once said the game will never go to lvl 100, as a mater of fact the games original hard cap was lvl 127, which was since raised several years ago. The only thing they have ever said remotely in this area is they never imagined that the game would last long and certainly now as long as it has, but never did they say it would not go to 100.
    Vouivre likes this.
  15. Xnao Augur

Can you think of a better way to tenderize meat?
    Dr Dice likes this.
  16. Burdi Augur

Sure that if you tell the dev that you fully agree with their lazy opinion on reintroducing epics, this will never happen!
    The fact is they spend quite some time to do it in EQ2 not very long ago.
    The fact is EQ is still having a rather healthy player base.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

There was a cap at level 99. This was changed a few years ago. It had to do with the fact that levels were 3 digits, but one of those digits was a random variable, leaving 2 digits for the actual level. I don't know if this applied to PCs, but it definitely applied to NPCs, which is why all the "max" level NPCs (Bankers etc.) were level 99.
  18. Kalipto Augur

Ya know what's funny? They said the same thing about beastlords in eq2. "There will NEVER, ever, ever, be beastlords in eq2"

They also said "We will never ever ever allow you to change your race". Yet here we are. They go so far as to say "it's impossible to do this or that due to the code in the game." Things such as race change, pvp to pve server transfers (or vice versa) and many other things.

SOE just loves saying no, stop asking. But that's not what they mean. They mean "please quit asking cause we want you to be surprised when it happens!"
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Well

1) EQ and EQ2 are completely different games so comparing them is pointless as things are far, far, far easier to implement in EQ2 because it is newer.
    2) Race changes and server transfers are both things that do not impact player power in game, and can also be monetized, (read: Can be sold in the marketplace), Epics are not.
    3) Other things they have implemented that were previously said to be impossible (bigger bags etc.) were all things they WANTED to do, but were held back by limitations that were later overcome. They don't WANT to make more epics for design / balance reasons. Big difference.
    Vouivre likes this.
  20. Mykaylla Augur

I'm still sad they caved on beastlords. :/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.