Epic Bottlenecks: Permacamped

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hingabe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hingabe Augur

With the introduction of the Epic Ornaments, the prerequisite being you must have the epic completed to get the ornament, It is my opinion that someone at SoE, an intern or otherwise, should introduce a method of being able to circumvent the age old problem of being forced to purchase epic pieces from the bazaar, either through or outright trade for parts.
    There are many classes epics 1.0s mostly, I believe, that have pieces that are otherwise unobtainable because of the mobs that drop those pieces are permacamped (like the necromancer's epic/Cazic Thule drop) either for greed of selling their highly sought after other drops, or the expensive epic components themselves.
    The epic quests are meant to be enjoyed, being part of the lore of your class. The process of gaining your epic shouldn't be cheapened by being forced into purchasing parts of it.
    I know that there are certain epic mobs, like venril sathir, and trakanon, that have had alternate (epic-drop-only) counterparts. What my suggestion would be, is one of two things.
    1) Once you complete the part of your epic directly before being sent to kill "X" mob / when you obtain that specific part of the quest that sends you into your bottleneck (either via talking to a certain NPC, or trading in whatever item to them) you would get flagged to trigger that bottleneck/permacamped mob, as their epic-drop-only counterpart when you enter their respective zone. That way, no one can indefinately block you from completing your epic, based on their own greed. And no excess of the other (non epic drop) items, would flood the economy. and if you fail or someone KSes you, you can just go back to that last step and re-flag yourself.
    2) Identify the true bottlenecks/permacamped/problematic spawns, and create a method to spawn the epic-drop-only mob, in a similar fashion to Trakanon, etc.
    Bring the fun and adventure back into Epics. especially now that there is incentive to doing them, being that even though the epic its self wont last long, but the ornament can last forever.
  2. Xebadiah New Member

Ha! Epics are epic because of the epic camps! Yeah, you might have to sit there for 2 days lol....
  3. Angahran Augur

I don't think the OP was complaining having to "sit there for 2 days", I think he is upset about trying to get a drop from a mob when the same person has been sitting there killing it over and over for 2 months and selling the item or selling the of the item.
    Leerah and Sinestra like this.
  4. Hatsee Augur

2 months? I've seen people at them for what seems like years before.

You have to camp server select after a patch to get some of the items.
    Chrome and Sinestra like this.
  5. Alwyzn- AB Journeyman

^---This....isnt there already enough easymode. Ask someone that camped an epic when they were current, i can speak from experience when Zordy was moved from Solb to an open zone with wizards pre-nerf manaburn.....weeks and weeks of just sitting waiting for spawns only to be taken out by a group of 4 or 6 within minutes before a raid force could get there.

Sorry not much sympathy when any lvl 80+ can easily solo an epic 1 NPC
    Smokezz likes this.
  6. Tabood New Member

I believe in keeping this game challenging. Newer MMOs are all about some easy, catering only to the lazy, whiners. These quests and others like it in the great world of Norrath make playing this game the adventure that it is. That being said; Hey sony! Bring back epic weapon quests! =)
  7. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

Alwyzn-AB and Tabood i think you are both missing the point. Endless camping does not equal challenge. How is getting the mob you want considered easy? You can mention the old days all you want. Back then you needed a raid. The real challenge was actually killing the mob not trying to find it. Now any jack off can kill epic mobs and think its uber to sell the loot in the bazaar. You can look back into the past with those rose colored glasses all you want but camping something on and off for hours/days/weeks is not fun and it sure as hell is not actually epic.
    Rikantiz likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You may like to check your research on Venril Sathir, the alternate Venril Sathir Remains is the trigger for different epic pieces to drop, I wizard will not be able to get their epic staff from the triggered version, the same way a druid/ranger cannot get their epic drop from the real version, there is no quick way of getting drops unless the one you need happens to be up, and Venril Sathir eats his remains when his spawn timer is up. I have no experience with Trakanon.

While it would be nice to do something about these epic quests they are very outdated and I really can't see the developers going back and looking at all 16 epics to see where the bottle necks are. You just need to be luckier.
  9. tofu stir fry Augur

how about the idea of spawning said "bottleneck epic mob" with the need to have a raid force of lvl 90+ people to kill it? that would be epic! (pun intended).... lol in all seriousness though as others have said the epics themselves especially 1.0s were bottlenecked like that on purpose so that not every tom and harry could have one .... I think they are fine the way they are and should be left alone.
  10. Obiziana Augur

I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. My monk has had the 1.0 done as long as I can remember.. I spent ages camping the original spawns (raster, etc.) back in the day and it was a hard earned piece of gear. It was absolutely epic when it was current.

My shaman on the other hand (second shaman to be fair, stared about a year ago) went prequest - 1.5 - 2.0 as I didn't want to have to deal with the PoF farmers that never leave the Iksar Broodling up. Now with the ornament quests I'd love to finish the 1.0 cause lets be honest, the Spear of Fate graphic is >>>>>> 1.5/2.0 graphic. Only problem is with the folks that have terror/fright/dread permacamped there's little chance of actually pickup up the child's tear. Now, I don't know what the best solution is but it's certainly frustrating to have a single item holding up the chance to get a 1.0 ornament. I can only imagine for other classes this would be much worse.
    Leerah and Sinestra like this.
  11. Ronak Augur

Heh, it's cute to equate 1 person locking down an epic mob for 6 years, then selling the , as "challenge". Yeah, some epic pieces you will have a lot of issues getting, without breaking the EULA. I'd suggest skipping 1.0, which most people have had to do, but now with ornaments incoming...yeah. It's about to get interesting.
    Tegila and Sinestra like this.
  12. Xtor Zadamose Journeyman

How is his statement not true? You may want to re-read it. Venril Sathir and Trakanon do indeed have counterparts that only drop epic pieces. You won't find any Tolar's gear, Donald's gear or Shissar weapons or any spells on the Venril Sathir counterpart that you spawn from the Venril Sathir Remains. It only drops epic quest loot.

The developers may not be able to go back and look at where all the bottlenecks are but they can certainly get feedback from the players on those. Its not very hard to figure out either. Join your servers general chat. I am sure you will hear people asking at some point when was the last time anyone saw Phinigel, Sathir, Cazic, Vox, Naggy etc. I am sure you get the point by now.
  13. Sinestra Augur

Please try to keep up. There is nothing challenging about epics. What the OP is talking about is people who camp epic mobs to sell items they drop and keep the mobs locked down so no one else can get a chance. People have complained about this for years and nothing has been done about it.

I remember trying to get a Slime Blood for the necro epic for over a year from golems in Fear. It took so long because tools were farming the golems for the Slime Blood and the Amulet of Necropotence to sell, not because other people were doing their epics. This shouldn't happen. That isn't challenge.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I don't know if they've changed it recently or not but last time I was playing with epics the golems in PoF could not even be looted unless you were in the group that killed them. So even if the AON farmer was feeling generous you couldn't go loot the drop you needed.
  15. Tegila Augur

they could/should just mark all epic drops unlootable by persons not of the class it's for. that may not quell the permacamping but should get some of them to lower, especially teh oens thtat mainly sell the of the item rather than other drops, and in the absence of taht, there would be rots in general or ooc at least. that does remove the difficulty if you have to depend on rots, but there's no erason to allow people to do this with notrade (idc about the tradeable stuff) epic drops that their class cant use anyway.
  16. Sinestra Augur

That may be the case now, but it wasn't at the time I did it years and years ago. The lockout though just compounds the issue then. I just wish they would make epic drops not spawn unless a class that needs it at the correct time in the quest loots the corpse and make the big bottleneck mobs triggered.
  17. Elenwyyi Augur

You should come to Zek! We have a special Fair & Balanced Community Solutions™ program for just these situations!
  18. Falos Augur

Some epic 1.0 items can be obtained from events like dragons dragons dragons (only for a small part of the year)

I actually got the child's tear from the plane of fear for my shamans 1.0 epic by getting it inside the dragon's dragons dragon's instance. Would be nice if a lot of this old 1.0 related stuff got instanced though (plane of sky, fear, hate, venril sathir, kunark dragons including trakanon and gorenaire mainly), maybe phinigel but he's already on like a 9 hour respawn timer so that may be fine being left alone.
  19. Tobynn Augur

I have an AoN on 16 different characters, and looted every single one of them myself. Know how much time I have devoted to camping the golems? None. Zero. Not a single minute. I walk into fear from time to time when I am bored, and find golems up. I have simply stumbled upon them a hundred times in recent years. Many, many times I have walked into Fear and clicked track and found the zone to be near empty, but I have never, not once, ever, never, seen people sitting on top of the temples camping the golem spawns as countless people in threads just like this one claim to have seen day after day after day after day for years upon years upon years. I believe those assertions are simply lies.
  20. Obiziana Augur

I have never found people camping the golems either, I think for the most part folks have them on timers. I've had a ranger parked in PoF for about 3 months to check for the golems. I probably pop in there every day or two and never find them up (this is on The Rathe.) Not sure if it's just our server or what, but I am pretty sure it's the AoN farmers that have a good timer. Unfortunately with my work schedule I'm never around when the servers come up after a patch to try and get in there and pluck one of the tears. Maybe Dragons, dragons, dragons is the way to go as that time of year is finally coming around again.