Mage beam kiting tactics

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Ehff, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ehff New Member

I've read recently on boards how mages are "beam kiting" to grind regular/aa xp. But I've yet to read how this method is being done.

Does anyone have a website or a link or a detail description on how this is accomplished?

What I am looking for specifically is.

What is zones are you in while "beam kiting"?

What levels are you while doing this?

What pets are you using while accomplishing this?

Are you allowing your character to be the tank and letting the mobs beat on you while you cast and allowing your merc to heal you?

Be specific as to your methods please.

This thread isn't for any type of bashing..
  2. Trajet D'Or Augur

Get a Paladin partner. Have them pull as many mobs as they can survive tanking long enough for the Mage to Beam them down. An SK works too, but they don't need a Mage to kill the mobs.
  3. silku Augur

I'm pretty sure that any good information about beam kiting won't be shared. We've seen what happens when people share those techniques on the forums.
    Mintalie, Sinestra and Silv like this.
  4. Silv Augur

Yeah, if anything, look at the thread about Enchanter permastun to see the consequence.

There are a few external Mage boards that have information. They aren't as busy as they used to be but I'd go look there if you haven't already. Part of the problem is people are hesitant to share information in general for fear that a few will ruin it for all.

Sorry if this doesn't seem constructive- just some advice. Don't get discouraged or take offense if your post doesn't get a hit.
    Sinestra likes this.
  5. Mookus Augur

I used to mass beam kite as a wizard.

You must do this in a zone that noone else is in. An instanced one for instance. You want a zone with a bunch of mobs that give xp that don't summon. I did this during tss, not sure what zones would work for you now but prolly Beasts domain instances would work great.

The stupid easy technique is to pull so many mobs that the server isn't able to tell them what to do anymore. If you had around 50+ mobs they would all essentially stand still. Then you walk up to them hit beam a few times and profit.
    Nillaien likes this.
  6. Voragath Augur

And that's how wizard beam got nerfed. I remember this flap. Devs came in and said stop lagging zones or we'll "fix" it. Many didn't care and did it anyway. Then it got nerfed. You [a general reader of this post, not the quoted poster] may want to read the rules of conduct before you decide to kill a mass amount of mobs anywhere.
  7. Ello-prexus Journeyman

what is exactly beam kiting?
  8. Potawatomi Augur

On a reasonably windy day tie some some string to a beam and guide it through the air. You can also fight other beam kiters, rather fun actually.
    fransisco likes this.
  9. Naugrin Augur

Lol, those darn crazy wizards, it's a good thing mages wouldn't do something like this.
    mage101 likes this.
  10. Gnomeland Augur

Mages do the same. There was a thread about it a while back.

OP: don't bother beam kiting by yourself. The only way to do that successfully is to lag the zone out and that's very bad form, risky, and not worth it for the exp over time due to the amount of fails you're going to experience trying to pull 50-60 mobs with a mage on a mount.

The standard tactic is a cooperative affair between a Mage and 1-2 other classes. There are two main tactics. One involves using a raid geared SK and cleric with rampart, preferably in a zone full of light blues that give decent AA. In this version, you tank the mobs with the SK and use beam to aoe them down. This works because with Epic + Visage + Rampart, a SK is capable of tanking 100+ 6-7k hitting mobs at the same time no problem. The other involves using a Bard / Druid, in which you pull a bunch of mobs, group them together, and beam kite the swarm. The latter is the classic version and works the same way bard swarm kiting did.
  11. Ello-prexus Journeyman

what do you mean by beam?
  12. Voragath Augur

It's a spell. Beam of xxx. You gather a bunch of mobs into one area, cast the spell, and you damage all mobs within a cone.
  13. Elemental Augur

Come to Zek, I'll teach you
  14. Piestro Augur

The enchanter stun timing changes happened because we upgraded some internal libraries and it changed how certain floating point math was calculated (it became more accurate).

We're fully aware of how beam kiting works and the amount of exp that can be gained in this way. We've done the math on how much experience it generates as well (as well as monitoring people doing it for actual examples).

This thread is heading in a direction likely for lock. Please be careful in your discussion.
  15. EverChanter Augur

Finally!

It took forever, but enchanters finally got a reason as to why it was changed...

Thanks stud
  16. silku Augur

Now the question is, was that an intended change? Was it considered a bug that was 'fixed' by the change in calculation? Or was it an unintended change that happened because no one thought about it and now no one cares to fix it back the way it was?
  17. Piestro Augur

More a bug that was fixed. As the calculation is now more accurate, the abilities now perform more in line with how they were designed.
    Silv and silku like this.
  18. Silv Augur

You know Silku,... it's just like all the other enchanter bug "fixes" over the past 6,7(?) years at minimum. Sometimes I think the Enchanter class was a bug from the original beta they forgot to remove so they've been dealing with it ever since then :p When you look back now at the great lengths they had to "alter" the original EQ in order for EQ to even progress... well, it's quite amazing. Seriously, think about CH chains, unlinked PBAE stun timers, GFlux "manipulation", and the list goes on and on about original intent that would essentially "break" EQ in any modern capacity. Anyhow... done on my derail.

In sincere honesty, I appreciate the response Piestro. While a ton of Enchanters still would have been upset, a simple explanation probably would have avoided A LOT of frustration. As for saying the "video" had nothing to do with it- maybe this is true INTERNALLY but in the community it nailed the coffin. It was perceived as a knee-jerk and led to the formation of the Mage beam kiting Illuminati etc. There are multiple instances now where you either send a PM to someone on the forum for the info because they made a cryptic comment or it just remains in the dark. The sad part about all of it- none of this "top secret" info (that I am privy to at least) is related to exploits or any type of external manipulation; all of it is just general play. That's really sad.

For beam kiting- my mage is my 3rd box. He has no raid gear and pretty much acts as a dps weave or tank (pet) when I'm doing certain things. His augs are junk and I really just know the most efficient pattern to chain with the least effort required so I can focus on my Ench and Druid. That said, I tried beam kiting once. I failed miserably and left that "challenge" behind. It way more stressful than charming or really anything else IMO. Plus, you can't take a RR break beam kiting. That is why Enchanters have Edict of Command right...?
    silku likes this.
  19. Mykaylla Augur

Awwm Silv, it's not that bad... 'cause bards are the bug from original beta! /duck
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. Lenowill Augur

You beat me to making the joke.

But yeah. No class is a bug from the beta, but if any of them feel that way to the coders, I would wager it's bards. xD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.