Transferring to a New Computer

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Clavdivs, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Clavdivs New Member

I purchased a new Windows 8 computer and installed EQ on it. When I open up my three characters, the EQ chat windows and charm bars and other miscellaneous EQ windows are either completely missing or in the wrong places. Since it is a web-based game I'm assuming that all my character information is out there somewhere but, individual character information might be stored on my local machine?

I don't think it would be a resolution issue between my old Windows Vista laptop and my new Windows 8 desktop.

I want all my EQ windows, chat filters selections, charms and gems and abilities back where they were before.

Is there a single file for all three characters, or three files for the three characters, that I can transfer to the new computer to get all my settings back? If so, what is the path or paths? If it doesn't exist, what are my other options? It would take ages to redo the screens, especially reconfiguring 4 chat window filters for each of the 3 characters.

Saleran
  2. Angahran Augur

If you still have access to the hard drive from the old computer then the easiest thing would be to do the following:
    1) Uninstall the Everquest you installed on the Windows 8 PC (I'm guessing you installed it to the default location and this has been proven countless times to be a 'BadIdea(tm').
    2) Find the 'EverQuest' folder on the old hard drive.
    3) Copy the 'EverQuest' folder from the old hard drive to the new pc, place it somewhere like C:\Games\EverQuest. DO NOT try to put it anywhere near c:\program files\, or c:\program files(x86), or any other 'system' location !!!
    4) Creat shortcut to EverQuest.exe
    5) Enjoy.
  3. Clavdivs New Member

I think have a couple of Everquest folders on the old laptop. Where is most likely place for it to be if I'd also installed Everquest on that machine using the default installation settings?

Isn't there also a Sony folder somewhere?

I want to make sure I transfer the right folder or program :)

Saleran
  4. Clavdivs New Member

I think the folder should be ...

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Everquest\

... since it contains Launchpad.exe

Am I correct?

Saleran
  5. Clavdivs New Member

And another question ... how do I transfer the folder? I have 4GB memory stick and when I try and transfer the above folder onto it, I'm told I have insufficient space on the stick and need an additional 5.39 GB.

Isn't there a simpler way? :confused:
  6. Angahran Augur

If you can network the desktop and the laptop together that would probably be easiest.
    If all you have is the memory stick then you'll have to transfer everything over in chunks.

So, go to the \Everquest\ folder on the laptop and start copying subfolders one at a time.
    so, ActorEffects, Atlas, AudioTriggers, .... etc until the stick is full.
    Then plug the stick into the desktop and copy to new \Everquest\ folder
    and repeat till everything is copied.
  7. Clavdivs New Member

Totally ignorant of networking. Looking at both computers they say they belong to the same HOME workgroup but, anything after that is just plain double-dutch to me :(
  8. Angahran Augur

If they both networked, should be able to go to the \Everquest\ folder on laptop.
    Right click and there should be an option along the lines of 'Share with' (guessing Windows 7)
    If you choose 'Specific people' and pick 'Everyone' from the drop down box.
    Now, if you go to the new pc, and should see the 'Everquest' folder under the 'my network' area (or whatever it's called on windows 8)
  9. Clavdivs New Member

OK ... latest report ...

Transferring files block by block using your method worked until I got up to file halas.s3d then .. it just shut down my laptop, made my memory stick into a boot virus such that it bluescreen's the laptop every time the stick is inserted, and I cannot boot the laptop any more.

I'm sure there must have been a better way to just transfer the screen UI, the chat boxes, the screen windows, the gems, etc without having to just transfer the whole program!

SIGH

Next step ... reformat the laptop to manufacturers settings since it will not reboot itself and just download EQ to the new Windows 8 computer and re-do the UI's for each character from scratch .... JUST what I was trying to avoid in the first place!

Saleran
  10. Clavdivs New Member

I just feel that there must be one file, or one file per character = 3 files, that are just a UI information file for each character.

Wouldn't that be easy while transferring from one computer to another?

Maybe I'm just being naïve about support and ease of use from EQ/Sony or ... I'm just a computer dummy :)

Saleran
  11. Clavdivs New Member

New update :(

I did not get anywhere with the 4 GB transfer stick, especially since it became corrupted and made the Windows Vista laptop "bluescreen" every time it was inserted. So, restored the laptop to yesterday, and threw away the 4 GB stick.

Then ...took my wife's 16 GB stick and transferred the whole C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Everquest\ folder from the laptop (Windows Vista) Everquest program THAT IS JUST WORKING FINE to the new Windows 8 desktop ... all at one time. The transfer went just great! it went to C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\Everquest\

However ... go to the Windows 8 desktop and it goes through the standard "update" of all EQ files. then log in under "autoplay", and the UI interface is exactly as I started off this whole thread. :( Look at y first post!

NOTHING in the user interface has been transferred from my previously optimized laptop UI to this new computer. For instance, I only have 2 chat windows per character, and there should be four each (which I had on the laptop, and STILL have on the laptop); no chat filters have been transferred ... the two chat filters on this new computer are all generic; there are special ability windows set up on the laptop that have not transferred to this new computer, AND ... all the windows on the new computer, wanted or not, are still in really stupid locations! They are not where I set them up on the laptop screen!

Isn't there just ONE file (or 3 files for three characters) that can be transferred/copied/pasted from one computer to another that will bring the individually-personalized visual interface back to each character?

Going back and re-making/reconfiguring the chat filters for each of the 4 chat windows each of the 3 character screens (= 12 chat windows) is going to be a real pain. :(

Saleran
  12. Angahran Augur

You still have the copy of the original Everquest folder on the 16gb stick ?
    Here's what to do.
    1. Uninstall Everquest from the new pc.
    2. create a new folder, c:\games\everquest. do not try to create anything in any windows, or user, or any other system folder!!!!!
    3. copy everything into c:\games\everquest
    4. go to c:\games\everquest and doubleclick everquest.exe

or...

try this http://gambosoft.com/Pages/GamSettingsMover_Features.htm
  13. Clavdivs New Member

Phew!

I thought I was going nuts.

I tried your suggestion of installing from the stick to a more generic folder. It worked! All my chat windows etc. are there!

Thank you.

The only thing that I need to do for each character now is to rearrange those windows since the resolution on the laptop was 1280 x 800 and the resolution on the new PC is 1920 x 1080 but, that's no biggie. The main thing is that I do not have to go back and recreate all the windows, filters, hotkeys, gem shortcuts etc. that I was so used to! Rearranging the placement of windows is going to be a doddle compared to that!

Saleran
  14. yaddab Augur

Sorry but for future reference, since you had already downloaded eq, all you needed to copy was your character files and eqclient.ini file (edited for the screen resolution), plus any downloaded maps and custom UIs.

Eqclient.ini has your key mappings in it, and other defaults
    Charname_server.cfg has your hot buttons, spell sets, socials etc
    Ui_Charname_server.cfg has your screen layouts, default UI etc
  15. Angahran Augur

Glad that worked :)
    I don't know why SOE can't just change the default installation folder. It causes so many problems and has done for years.
  16. yaddab Augur

He did not have any probs apart from knowing which files to copy tbh
  17. Gr8fuldave Augur

I'm getting a new computer and doing a fresh install of eq but want to transfer my settings for hotbuttons, UI layout, macros. are these the only files I need to copy over?
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I just use a flash and copy the whole thing back and forth.

Not sure how old this is but at least it refers to ini files instead of cfg (which I think are pretty old and might be hard to find)

And it gives you a rundown of which are which

https://www.jaburt.com/eq/eqsettings.htm
  19. Pinvarin New Member

Down loaded Ever quest on a new computer and did not generate a daybreak folder or an everquest folder can not remember this happening before. Is this the normal now?
  20. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Did you run the executable file that downloaded? Look in your Downloads folder. That will install the launchpad. Once you run the launchpad, that will install the game. Remember not to let it install to the default address. Change it to something like C:\\Games\Everquest.
    Skuz likes this.