Thanks for the Chuckle

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Loup Garou, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Sometimes the dev's put wicked little tricks and twists in their quests and sometimes plays on names. This year's Anniversary quest - Footloose and Fancy Free has a ton of them which I found hilarious and much better than the Sailor Twit one.

I picked up the following musical references:

Erol Xybella is "in dire straights"
    You say, 'I don't get money for nothing
    We were a real [motley crew]
    You say, 'What do you need to kickstart your heart?'
    He says: arduous journey through water, [earth, wind, and fire]
    If I'm right, then [WHAM

And then he tells about - The dream started with me trekking across a large desert where it rained but everything felt very dry. In the far distance i discovered an [oasis] and the closer I approached, sounds of angelic singing as well as the clanging of metal began to get louder and louder.

I think that is a reference to The band America and the song Horse with no name: I've been through the desert on a horse with no name - combined with Jim Morrison's visions.

I owe that tone [deaf leopard] an apology.

She has been skeptical to join but [the doors]

You say, 'People are strange

but my head feels like a [limp biscuit].'

Not something said but an autograph: flips to the last page and autographs it with a flourish

Not sure who the creative genius is for all these (and others in the past) but Thanks Devs!!!
    Hobitses, Jhenna_BB, Pip and 10 others like this.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I agree! It is really a fabulous quest for the dialogs. It is 100% worth reading through at least once. The breadth of songs and music groups it references is epic.
    Hobitses, Pip, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I think the Rock Lobber mob should drop an item:

Item Name: Bigger's Unique Fletching Fabulous 52
    Type: Bow
    Massive damage, big delay

Description: This bow might be slow compared to others but it packs a big punch. It's an antique bow that is much older than those who wield it but is still a favorite. Good for when you are in a jam or fighting a giant clam.
    Hobitses, Pip, MasterMagnus and 2 others like this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Here comes a Bikini whale!
    Aiona likes this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

Regarding the age when all those bands were popular and the type of humor it should had been written by Absor. The band name dropping is a bit cheap but the quest has good situational humor with many details and it is worth to read all the text passages. Sure a lot more eastereggs are hidden inside it.

Spoiler:

You say, 'Hail, Llaydo Tamms'

Llaydo Tamms raises his pointer finger on his right hand to protest whatever it is you are about to say, even though you haven't said anything. His attention is interrupted as he stares at the tip of his finger. His eyes are crossed because of how close his finger is. He stretches out his arm, still staring at his finger, and moves it back and forth, trying to focus on the tip of his finger. He then moves the finger back to in front of his face, crossing his eyes again. He flicks his finger forward and drunkenly says, 'Heyo!' as if he figured out what it was he was doing. He waves you away.

Didn't knew that Vah Shir do have fingers !
  6. Pip Developer

Aww, such kind words. Out of all the things in EQ to celebrate, I wanted to emphasize how important every aspect of the game is, even down to the tune that you hear when you first log in. That tune is iconic, that tune is legendary.

I had a ton of fun writing this quest. I made the joke to my friends that getting a song stuck in someone's head is like an IRL Bard cantrip. I took that idea and thought about "how fun it would be to cast "Bard cantrip", put it in a trap, and let players step on it." I often think about the line from Darkest Dungeon, "Curious is the trapmaker's art - his efficacy unwitnessed by his own eyes."

And that's basically the inspiration for this quest. Happy 24th Anniversary EQ!

P.S. The dream you mention is also reference to "Oh Suzanna!" I thought about a legendary song that sounded like a nonsensical dream:

It rained all night the day I left, the weather it was dry
    The sun so hot I froze to death; Susanna, don’t you cry.
    Yinla, Marton, Rijacki and 8 others like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

[IMG]
    Pip and Rijacki like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And when that log in tune got bugged ...wow the petitions, feedback complaints and all over anger was startling. So yes, it is iconic.

I also am among those who appreciated all those nods to hard rock in this quest. Well, maybe not so hard anymore. But it was like, hey did he just say a line from "A horse with no name?" and then it makes you look and you see deaf leopard and the others. I just now realized Oasis was a band too!!

Thanks for the fun!!!
    Pip, Rijacki, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There was a great one in WoW. When leaving the banker in Silvermoon City, he would say, very regally "Hold you head High!". Every time he said it, I'd get that old song playing in my head (hold your head up, oh, hold your head up, oh, hold your head high). I always figured it was just a me thing, and not intended. And then, about 5 or 6 years later, that song played on the radio, and when they said the name of the band, I literally laughed out loud. Argent. Latin for silver. Silvermoon City.

Yeah, I think it was intentional ;)

And, yeah, add me to the list of people who were really p!$$ed when they messed with the theme playing at login.

CatsPaws, Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I was doing the quest with a friend who, like me, was born in the mid-60s. We were both delighting with all the music references and remarking on them to each other.
    Pip and CatsPaws like this.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

12. Iven the Lunatic

argentum (lat.) -> argent (french, catalan, occitan)
    Nennius likes this.