What is your controversial EQ hot take?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Alarya, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Sakuraba Augur

Someone mentioned "Merging Wizard and Mage" as a hot take - Sorry, for some reason I can't find the exact post to quote!

Just wanted to point out I sort of get why they didn't; it would be too hard to make a "Wizard" who simply chooses between slotting spells to "specialize" themselves fair and balanced. Imagine 8 spell slot syndrome, but Wizard is basically having to choose between Necromancy, Conjuration, Evocation, Illusion, and Enhancement spells every time they go into a group. Would be insanity.

Would have been cool had that been how it worked lol.
  2. MustardonWatermelon Elder

There is no point to temporary player made items.

Mod rods, lifeshards, mage summoned armor/weapons, summoned food/drink and other items like them should just be switched to be permanent items.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

The race should be vanquisher not conqueror.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

The area in North Kaladim that has the mushrooms should be a PVP area and whenever someone picks one it spawn level 200 mobs that murder all 120s in the game.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Magneress Augur

This ^

Eq is eq lore.

As for the rest. To those who want to *fix* eq.
    Don't. Make wow mechanics and raids. That game is terrible for APM and timegating and gatekeeping. Don't cater to esports or youtubers like asmongold... I love him and marcelian... just don't build the game around that stuff...

The best bit of eq was the journey from cloth to fine steel and combine weapons. Exploring everything and wacky complex dungeons like guk, najena, solusek. The way faction interacted. The silly quests in qeynos you could spam to lvl 12.

And the fact that the game is mechanically simple. Yet strategically deep. Pull or mez. Root... stun. Interrupt... you didn't need 13 year old lightening fast reflexes and a 3rd party mod or app to spam a rotation or tell you when to do those. You did them when the mob was going to ch. Or heal. Or you nuked at 40-50% so instead it would drop to 20% and flee.

All the parts. Classes. Things in EQ interoperated. Everyone brought something. If you had a war a cleric and a rogue.. you used root to tank and the war was there to position the mob and soak.

And things took long enough we could chat. Take breaks. People could come and go from groups. Everything was hard. And everything was easier with friends. So it was worthwhile even for strong solo classes to develop good will with the community.

And everyone could eventually solo to catch up mostly. Even rogues if you knew the tricks of the trade. Eq is pretty ok here. I do see the spamable abilities becoming too complex tho.

Thats my big ol hot take. Eq is a group, exploration game you could solo in with a lot of effort out of necessity sometimes.

Also make content that is a year old accessible.. dodh missions.. ldon.. just let people do the stuff without keying and needing an army of boxed alts to meet the player # requirements.
    Poyzen Frawg and Belexes like this.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The mods deleting anything anyone reports regardless of what it says or context, while allowing certain people to spam every thread with garbage posts is a detriment to the value of these forums and is at best neutral, and at worst, negative to the number of people playing this game.
  7. Alarya Augur

except with armor ornamentations.... too clunky!
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Yes, legit threads are being deleted with no reason.
    Conjuration likes this.
  9. Tegila Augur

I hate some slots of all the armor ornaments on any race for that reason. I mix n match myself anyway rather than look like a robot lol
    Rijacki likes this.
  10. Alarya Augur

Same haha, except for a few sets that look great!
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Ravanta Suffer Augur

The only reason why we still have the 5 minute OOC timer on raid targets is so people that camp out to get back into fastmed are that much more likely to accidently hit the "reset ui to default" button.
  12. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Capped dodge/parry7 and overhaste 16% should be moved to autogrant aa's around level 100. If you can't come up with something new there's no reason to continue coding things everyone has at the same level for years and years.
  13. Poyzen Frawg Augur

If there was a Love button I would hit that.
    Magneress likes this.
  14. Ravanta Suffer Augur

At some point in the game, buffs that last over an hour should just be permanent until the character dies, they are clicked off, or something dispels them.
    Tegila and Stymie like this.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

IDK how controversial this is, but I think they should put bane damage back in the parse.
  16. Cicelee Augur

I believe either the next expansion or the one after will be the last one. They will introduce Planes of Power 2.0, it is just a question if they are also going to release Luclin Part 3 w/SSRA as the next one. In any event, next year the game is going to be 25 years old, and that seems like a good enough time to start putting sunset plans in place. Assuming we don't get SSRA, the game can release Planes of Power 2.0 as one final farewell expansion, culminating with an end game battle with Veeshan herself (in avatar form obviously). Maybe a Veeshan raid for the 25th anniversary? In any event, I just wonder if they (DBG, devs, etc) are ready to end the game and if they are considering that, something like a 25th anniversary would be a good way to implement a start to the end.

Of course the game won't sunset then. They are still making money each month. But I wonder if no more content will be made. And then sometime, maybe when the game reaches 30 years, that will be the actual sunset.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

not this nonsense again
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

How would it make sense to think they are about to quit when they just started a hiring spree?
    Stymie and Rijacki like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We all know the truth was that the original Kunark is what killed the game!
  20. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

If the 64 bit upgrade did not make full-size Veeshan possible, it was a waste.