TLP Ruleset Idea: Dual Class

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by guruswarmi, Mar 24, 2023.

1. guruswarmi New Member

Ignoring the challenge implementing this idea, imagine how fun it would be to have true dual classing (let's say unlocked at level 20), all the spells, abilities, disciplines, AAs of two classes, and access to gear restricted to either class, but also locked to your base race.

Would probably lead to less boxing need and really interesting discovery of potential combinations.
    Xanathol, Thewiz and Pikollo like this.
  2. code-zero Augur

I don't think that this would work the way you think it would work. More like change gear, change class like Free Realms was
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Ythera Augur

I agree that this concept for a TLP would be pretty fun figuring out the combos.
    Thewiz likes this.
  4. Madcat1983 Journeyman

SK/sham
    BST/ench
    Necro/wiz
    Dru/clr
    Wiz/ench
    War/ench
    Pal/wiz
    Ya this idea would be loads of fun
  5. coltongrundy Augur

The probability of this ever happening before EQ is permanently shut down is exactly 0.0000%
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This idea has not even a snowball's chance in hell.

A significantly smaller chance in hell than the game enabling additional classes to be added, which itself would require a very costly amount of work for a very small benefit.

It would require some very deep-level coding changes to facilitate & doing those would risk breaking Everquest, as in the game would not even operate at all.
    Then you have a gargantuan amount of work involved when it comes to gear as all of that has class selective fields which would be affected, like every equippable item in the game, thousands of them.

And at the end of the day this game does not need more classes let alone the complexities of dual-classing.

And in fairness, some dual-classing is already existant within EQ, the Hybrid classes.

Necromancer/Warrior - Shadowknight
    Cleric/Warrior - Paladin
    Druid/Warrior - Ranger
    Shaman/Monk - Beastlord
    Warrior/Enchanter/Rogue - Bard
    Appren and code-zero like this.
  7. Roxas MM Augur

nec/dru omg, the dots, the dots:)
  8. hustlin New Member

90% of the server would be enc/healer, the other 10% would be enc/anything else.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

Man, I love the idea of "classless" that isnt run by a psychopath and is 'official'
  10. Triconx Augur

War/Sham combo would F stuff up.
  11. Tyranthraxus Grognard

already duo War Sham, I'll take a War/Zerker with monkey grip pls, duo with a Sham/Bard
  12. Notinterested Augur

The very first line of OPs post...

Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  13. code-zero Augur

Given that there are huge numbers of players who are totally clueless at playing any of the existing classes I am bemused at the notion that there'd be anything like fun associated with people multiclassing
  14. Runes Augur

This would be a really fun idea and you would have to put a cap on the 2nd class like at 60 or max level of the 1st class you can only get to 50 or 40 for the second. Being able to get max levels like 60/60 would be way to over powering. Not a chance that Daybreak can work this into game because they cant even work the rebalancing for existing classes spells etc. but very fun idea
  15. Thewiz Augur

Make it happen!
  16. Xanathol Augur

The idea is not that difficult to implement at all, assuming a few guildlines, ie.classes must be avilable to the chosen race and deity. Characters need 3 sets of properites for skills, base stats, etc (1 for each class, 1 for the actual values used, ie. highest from each). The same would need to be implemented for population of the AA property sheets, along with some clean up since the 'consolidations' created a bit of a mess in this regards. Most calls for class checks such as casting, equipping, or using gear just get updated to check the feature flag and if set, perform an or between the two classes. For scripts such as turn-ins, class kills, etc, the easiest solution I found was an AA at 0 cost that basically toggles the character from being identified as the base class or the secondary class in the script checks, that way you can identify as either class as needed.

A number of years back (pre-'consolidated' AA lines), I was able to implement most of this on a private build but there are some features implemented in the client that you cannot cleanly work around on server side alone (ex. run speed while sos'd and piercers required for backstabbing are checked clientside). DPG of course would have no such issues.

The question of 'can this be done' is defintely yes; the only question is if DPG would want to. I personally think it would be incredibly fun.
  17. anonymous_ Lorekeeper

I mean, wouldn't really be any more interesting than setting up box comps for group content. Typical raiders would just be expected to go /healer since that'd be the most universally useful across all raids, every raid tank would just be war/knight to double dip on defensives, and then maybe a couple really niche things like knight/bard for a dedicated kiter or mage/rogue CotH bot in earlier content.
  18. Arclyte Augur

nah, there is value in picking your lane in the road and sticking to it. The R in RPG doesn't get enough respect.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Domniatric Augur

While there is a 0% chance of this happening. It is fun to think about. I'd think that DPS could be pushed in unusual ways by mixing opposites. Something like a monk/mage. All the passive DPS of pets and AA abilities that aren't duplicated by picking for instance, two melee. It would be wild to see. I think Mage and BST would be good for almost any DPS. Could go Ultimate tank by mixing two tanks War/SK?
  20. Tucoh Augur

Not sure how you'd mix non mana, mana classes and bards, but just yeeting a few spell lines on top of different classes could be fun. Ex, a cle/enc who gets everything ten levels later. What combos are OP probably depends on expansion and which spells make the cut.

Maybe you'd just linearly interpolate the mana pool of the two chars, such that a monk/bst would have half the mana of a pure bst.

A lot of combos would play similarly to existing hybrids though.

Under those rules I can't think of any combos that would be too OP. A cle/enc would have CH, but trash charm, buffs, nukes etc