Slayer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MischiefTLP, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Magickon Augur

Slayer is some garbage. Kill 10 mobs out of the 5,000 you need only to have some level 5 constantly whining.

And frankly, they are right.
  2. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Slayer should’ve just been worked into expansion specific content like Hunter and mercenary tasks. Also, keeps it from being nerfed later on.
  3. Zarkdon Augur

It would be interesting to see mob kill counts/visits to zones the last 4 days vs the last 10 years.
  4. Brickhaus Augur

Kinda hard to compare since there are now AoCs and many more expansions, but I suspect that when the original Banestrike went in that there were more mobs killed during those first few weeks than will be now. There aren't a ton of zones that have the more difficult to get mob types.

I bet when the artisan's prize went live and the zones with tradeskill materials were kept on lockdown would be higher than now.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

True Dragons -> Breeding Grounds, The criteria is pretty much a 4 legged Draconic mob with wings. Fairly fast respawn rate and you can do the Rat ones at the same time.
    Then go to a different zone with higher level versions. There are tons of them.
    Slayer was just added as a way to display what you needed to gain or upgrade your Banestrike ability. Putting them into expansion specific lists would make no sense and defeate the purpose of the achievements. Also, it would not prevent nerfs.

I doubt that the release of the original Banestrike saw much of anything. At the time they pretty much were easy enough to do while you were playing, rather than going back and doing them.
  6. MustardonWatermelon Elder

And literally extend the multi-hour task, per achievement, only to still run into the same problem, and then be insulted by every person who has done it on their 20+ year old characters who literally have no idea what it is like to play on a server now that is actually active.
  7. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Banestrike is going to be nerfed, it's so obvious. There's going to be a class that begins to dramatically overperform, and then down comes the hammer for everyone. Building a banestrike around expansion specific achievements allows the tuning issue to resolve itself naturally.
  8. Sancus Augur

There is no way, mathematically, for the change to banestrike to cause a class to “dramatically overperform.” Classes that already do so will continue to do so, but relative performance will barely budge.
    Ulrin, minimind, Metanis and 6 others like this.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Going in reverse order, first off Achievements were not a thing for about the first 45%~ of EQ's current life and the Slayer achievements only came into being in November 2012. The majority of people did not go back and do any of them, they got the ones as they played the game. The benefit from completing them all was negligible due to the way it worked. It is only really worth doing at least some of them now because of the changes to how the ability works. So 20+ year old characters have no more chance of having completed the Slayer achievements than 10+ year old characters do. Honestly, characters that are younger than 10 years have a considerably higher chance of having completed the majority of the achievements naturally as they were leveling up, while the characters which are older are unlikely to have gone back and completed the tasks.
    Actually, you are going to shorten the task in most cases by going to higher level zones. Most of the time there are higher level zones where you get a considerably larger number of the specific mob types. A great example is the zone I mentioned for True Dragons. The first one people think of for them are places like VP, WW, and ToV; but there are more with shorter respawns in a smaller area in Breeding Grounds. So please tell me what are you killing that requires you to do it in a zone where level 5s level up?
  10. kiwi New Member

HEY new players, we will come ruin your fun , we will come with our high level toons and kill everything in the zone...........o_O
  11. Rolaque Ancient

According to my slayer achievements, mine began in 2013. There were many completed then and in 2014. Then it tapered off as the remaining achievements were in the 1000/5000 range, and I figured most of them would be reached through normal game play. That pace was true and continued to about 2019-2020, and then completely ended in 2021 and 2022. I had 3 remaining achievements: kobolds & gnolls at ca.2500 kills each, and clockworks needing 500 kills. And the kobolds, etc., had gone into hiding for their own self-preservation, and I don't blame them for that. Besides, banestrike was more of an oddity and somewhat nuisance which didn't make any difference if it was there or not. So, there was no reason to finish slayer and put it to rest. Until now.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Similar to mine. But I need 4.

Gnolls
    Kobalds
    Fish,sirens,etc
    Discord mobs
  13. Cicelee Augur

All this grey con farming most of the 120 crowd is doing, only to see Banestrike get nerfed in a couple months from 2/4/7/10 to something like 1/2/3/5...

I guess it will still be more DPS than original Banestrike...
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Szilent Augur

if it goes to 0/0/0/0, I'll still be tickled to bits that the old nonsense was stripped out. Correcting past mistakes is entirely worth
    Aiona likes this.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

My only complaint is that people are so obsessed with banestrike that no one is working on cloaks anymore.
  16. FYAD Augur

And when you see that ACTUAL new person, let me know. Not some returnee or someone's alt.
    minimind and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  17. fortuneteller Augur

Is that in old SV or new ?

I dont see many cats in BM?
  18. MischiefTLP Augur

Old SV, did all possible Slayers using only a Level 70 or lower Mage to kill things. There aren't many cats in BM but they respawn really fast and it's one of the best slayer zones with a reasonably large force or characters or someone motivated enough to do laps around the zone.
  19. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Cats in Blightfire are in the South East area.

Also Griffons just east of the zone line to Mesa.
  20. Xynia Apprentice

I did several LDON's for the 100/100 Guktan achieve and they did not count for I'm a People Person. I ended up going to Grobb to kill the froglok prisoners, which counted. Unless those won't increment until you have 100/100? I didn't check that, I stopped the LDON as soon as I got that achieve.
    Szilent likes this.