Ditch Overseer and just make exp better

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 18, 2023.

1. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It’s a 2 part expansion, it’s a T1 of the second half is T3. The problem is that there’s not much significance or excitement behind that long to level. You regain your original position on the power curve with no new gameplay features unlocked.
  2. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

This is a Very Simple Question to answer. How much Experience do you get in a instance when you kill 74 mobs in 63 minutes?

THAT is how much experience we should get. Its bad enough you get achievements, Better experience and chest drops.
  3. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

4. code-zero Augur

Stop being disingenuous, everyone knows what the refined grind strategy was up till ToV. Go find that sweet spot in the last expansion and don't move for hours, maybe even days, until the bar was at 99% and AA's were filled out. Only then did the grinders move to the new zones. A few adjustments may have needed to be done but for the most part that was it

That was the optimum strategy as well as the safest. Then came ToV and suddenly the guilds who'd been hotbunking camps in GMM found out that people who actually went into the new expansion zones and did progression were advancing faster and they were and still are just livid.

Grinding suddenly became a playstyle choice that was nigh on sacred and grinders were being "punished", heck persecuted even!

Except, you're not.
    Rijacki likes this.
  5. Tappin Augur

Your experience in a new expansion, shouldn't be less than an old expansion. When did this occur last? RoF? Every expansion since has given less of everything. Of course people are going to go back to the old content.... It's a better experience overall.
  6. Dre. Altoholic

4 months to get 5 levels vs how many are going to hit max within the first week, if not the first night?

It's not about lazy, it's about meaningful return on time invested.
    Vizier, Iven and Windance like this.
  7. Cicelee Augur

Sounds like the meaningful return on time invested is doing progression. It's also holding onto one collection piece per series and redeeming it on the first day of expansion, getting the XP rewards. It's also sprinkling some Overseer during the week/month.

Remember when EQ was first launched? The tag line was "You're in our world". Which is true- we are in the dev's world of Norrath. They have given us multiple ways to XP. And just like everything else in the min/max world, there is a best way. The best way to XP nowadays is doing progression- you know, playing the actual expansion that devs have been working for the past twelve months on. You can XP other ways if you want, your choice. Just don't get upset that it is taking longer. You will still get there.

It would be like if a magician came up to me and said their raid DPS rotation is magic DD, fire rain, magic rain, and blast of sand (or whatever it is called). And I tell them "Well the better way to do more DPS is RS, many, chaotic, spear". But they refuse to acknowledge that and want to do their way. OK that is cool, just don't expect to win a parse. If you want to maximize your DPS, you do the way raid magicians go.

Just like you XP with progression nowadays. Or you grind and take longer and live with your choices.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

You are not being punished for going back to old zones and grinding.
    People are being rewarded for going into the new expansion and progressing
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  9. itzagame_m8s Journeyman

actually, they <do> nerf xp in old zones. that's a minus, not a plus.

Maths are hard /nod.

;P The theory is to push people into new zones, but if they're behind the curve and undergeared, trying to catch up, this nerf backflag zones just denies more up and coming players longer from even needing to buy the new expansion cos they ain't in it yet.

They should rethink this policy of killing off XP uproutes to herd sheeple. (dev mentality since Actiblizz.)
  10. code-zero Augur

No, they didn't. They made the amount of experience required to reach the next level much higher. Math is indeed hard
    Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

As it never got defined who the "our" are, it is just a meaningless slogan. Our could be everything: The devs (Verant Interactive studios), SOE, the investors, the gods of Norrath, etc.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is just silly, it isn't hard to realize that they are talking about the company making the game and that has never changed.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

The herding concept is hardly working anymore and PoK and the Guild Lobby are the best places for the herd. The LFG window could be also used for it but it did not get accepted by the players. And as long as Darkpaw is splitting the players additionally by account rates and expansion sales that won't change. There are so many other ways to refinance new expansions and the game and keeping the herd together but it is not desired.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Actually, you are both right. Your point stands, but you missed his point.

They nerfed kill XP in old expacs (old being defined as, less than the level range you are in) starting around RoF, except for the puller. So his point was, you can't XP as efficiently in old expacs, but if you're not geared/ready for current expacs, then you're SOL.

Which is still not QUITE right. That perfectly describes me. And I solved it by using Overseer to XP, and max my level, and I hunt in old expacs, putting all XP towards AAs. Not as efficient, but so what? I'm still getting quests, collections, and names done, and getting the occasional heroic AA completed.
    code-zero, Windance and Nennius like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

They are being rewarded to sit in guild hall wait for a task add. There is no reason kill mobs for exp anymore.
  16. code-zero Augur

Somebody is killing mobs
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Apparently Tappin doesn't need any AAs ;)
    code-zero and Nennius like this.
  18. Terethian Elder

Overseer is very lame, I hate it. I hate that I use it. I hate that overseer is great for minimal effort exp.
    We can all agree: Mob grind exp has been destroyed. (At high levels.)
    The player base doesn't easily support grouping for task experience leveling. I am not implying it is impossible or anything like that. I am simply saying it can be tough getting the help. It is very difficult to molo through these on characters in era group gear - impossible generally solo and nearly so still when 3 box moloing.
    The current system is feeding the power level sellers which leads to krono sales and possibly the dark side of which we must not speak of.

The bottom line of it all? It's not in a great place right now. But then again, maybe it's exactly the way they want it for krono sales.

What I would like to see is adding higher level daily's for 5-15% exp a day or up the mob exp rate so I can get more than sub 0.100 per kill. (usually 0.041 or less.)
  19. Tappin Augur

Task adds and PoK vendor can get you a long way... but I was talking about level exp. The AA exp is fine, but I still wouldn't kill in the current expansion for it.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Why would you be looking for level XP in the current expac? 120 has been max for 13+ months now. Beg/borrow/steal task adds, or do Overseer, be done with it.
    Andarriel likes this.