3d Print Your Toon

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by kathulu20, May 3, 2017.

1. kathulu20 Journeyman

Has anyone 3d printed your Everquest Character?

Been thinking of picking up a 3d printer for years now, printing out your character models or a Sarnak i think would be awesome!
  2. Lheo Augur

The chars are property from DBG i would get a permission first;)
  3. Basak Augur

I could be mistaken, but unless he sells them he should be fine if he prints them for himself. It would be similar for people that make drawings of their characters, or write up stories dealing with the people and places of Norrath.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. Zish Elder

At least learn how copyrights work if you're going to post junk like this.

By the way, you have something on your nose.
  5. Nolrog Augur

OK, so back to the original question. Is that possible?
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

my local libary has a 3d printer but I would have no idea how to go about doing something like this I am sure if you model your toon in clay or some thing then it could be done. But what the full steps are I would not know.
  7. skattabrainz Augur

Palpable fanfiction in other words? ISN'T THE WRITTEN STUFF ENOUGH! :D
  8. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

From an EQ Dev some years back:

Stymie likes this.
  9. moogs Augur

It's a similar process to creating miniatures for board games such as my friends do at www.greenbriergames.com

You would need to create your own 3D model and convert it into a format which can be read by your 3D printer. For your model, you would need to consider factors such as weight and balance and minimizing gaps in the structure and other areas of weakness such as thin twiggy pieces (example: Gorgol's spectre signature shown in the post above). You could try your hand with a polygon modeling tool such as Blender or Maya, but if you want more of a digital clay workflow you would want to look at a sculpting program such as Zbrush or Mudbox. Here's a quick video of one of our contract artists putting together a digital sculpture for physical production:

As for the legality of it all, if you were to produce dozens of figurines of easily identifiable characters (Firiona Vie would be an obvious one) and list them for sale to the public, you might have a problem. Likely nothing more than a cease and desist letter, though. If you'd just like to do something like this as a hobbyist playing with a new toy and producing unique sculptures without branding that does not belong to you, it would be in Daybreak's interest to support you with a nice tweet or something since it's positive publicity. The other option would be to just ignore you since they have much bigger things to worry about. I say if that's your thing then go for it and have fun with it.
  10. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

but what color would the dark elf nipples be
  11. Tucoh Augur

We looked into getting a buddy his WoW character printed when we got him a legendary.

We used something like:
    https://www.figureprints.com/wow/Default.aspx

Otherwise, this might help you. Basically you'll need to use some tools and emulation software to extract the model into a usable format.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/2il4fh/3d_printed_everquest_character_old_school_wow/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/2il2qc/3d_printed_eq_character/
    http://www..org/forums/showthread.php?t=26949
  12. Kirab Lorekeeper

Nah just say you are making a back up of your character. Just like when you recorded a copy of your favorite vanilla ice tape back in the day. As long as you aren't distributing it, or advertising with it, it's ok.
  13. Zrax New Member

would be awesome to have a 3d print of your char.
  14. Chroma4 New Member

You don't need DBG permission to 3d print your toon for personal use...geez :rolleyes:. To sell them commercially?...yeah, I wouldn't do that... You would need a license from DBG and whatnot. But, it's a great idea as I was just searching the net on how to print my froglok! But there are umm people out there with resin 3d printers that will print your 3d figure model for $$$ whatever it is...just saying. ;)
  15. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You try a program like Hero Forge and tweak one of their models to closely match your EQ character.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

A nice little necro.

This has been done by a PS artist replicating the character using DAZ I believe.

It has been possible for a long time, though very time consuming and you have to know what you're doing.

My path would be (all freeware):
    PS2LS I think it was called (extract from .pak file) .obj file
    Blender rig and pose .obj, edit for better 3d printing export .stl
    Cura print the .stl

Sound simple? This is a huge undertaking, but totally possible for many years, old file formats and such. Plus it would be fairly ugly, there is a lot in the textures that isn't real detail in the models.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Ozon Augur

This, with a bit of time and work you can basically make your char in game.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Careful, though, you can lose some hours playing with all the options, even without creating an account or subscribing ;)
    Ozon likes this.
  19. ttobey Developer

The eq models are not really built well for 3D printing, they are very low poly and rely on texture for a lot of whatever details are there. You really need higher rez versions of the models to retain any fidelity on the character. We've tried with the lower poly stuff and it winds up being pretty ugly, but good luck trying!
    Stymie and Zunnoab like this.
  20. Ozon Augur

Here is my ikky SK, from back in CoV, full raid gear:

https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=22317558/

For the record at the time he was wearing the raid augments wuth the very Orange Blue color scheme, not my favorite but wanted to be accurate.
    Wyre Wintermute, Nennius and Rijacki like this.