Ditch Overseer and just make exp better

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Tappin Augur

There is little to no point killing bloated HP mobs for next to no exp. Just log on complete your Oversers, check for free task adds from people using Blue Guides, and log off. Why bother with a group.
    itzagame_m8s, Dre. and Iven like this.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

There is this small, but incredibly vocal, group of people that think for some reason that Overseer exp and grouping exp are mutually exclusive. Like you can have one, and not the other. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
    FYAD, Windance, Celephane and 3 others like this.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

When your group is forming and ready to go, you can easily close the Overseer UI (if that's what you were doing while they were getting formed) and do it later. If you've started a task that might take you even as little as 10-15 mins, and your group is ready to go, they might not want to wait until you've finished your task. And if you're buffed up in a place where the buffs don't count down while doing Overseer while you wait, you're buffed when the group wants to go. If you're in a task and get distracted or some other mishap and die, poof, all your buffs are gone and you're not ready to go when the group is.

So, which is the better option to have if you want to encourage grouping?

Or you would rather someone just stand there waiting around doing absolutely nothing while a group is forming and someone is dinking around in the bazaar or whatever?
  4. Iven Antonius Bayle

The finish process of one quest alone does take about 15 seconds here. I play on AB maybe this low populated irish server is just more laggy than others. But I also have 2-3k agents on my accounts and there is not way that I ever will have the time to convert them.
    1. Must be a very low populated and fast server for such a quick result, so maybe you play on Zek ?
    2. You don't seem to have much agents hoarded.
    3. You have a super fast CPU
    4. You might not have added the login time, finishing quest, and conversion quests to your 8 minutes. For me it takes 8 minutes for just one account without conversions.

I did not made that assumption but it is noticeable that Overseer is a big factor regarding less player activity and server population. Sure there are also other factors. When Overseer got added in 2020 two things happened:
    1. Much more server lag
    2. Server population (on AB) significantly went down over the months and years even that many new players joined because of the lockdowns. Most of them did quit already since a long time.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

A lot of misinformation and unproven information.

For 1 the server is in the Netherlands NOT Ireland.

Lag on AB is far better than it was in 2017, when they offered free transfers to Vox. AB's lag depends more on which IP your using, those in Germany suffer from more lag than those else where in Europe. Virgin in the UK has suffered similar issues at times, but right seems better since they upgraded their network.

There is no proof that anyone quit over Overseer being added, it is far more likely players quit over the difficulty of TBL and the nerfs to GMM and nerfs to some classes.

As you say a lot of players who came back to EQ during lockdown have quit again, mainly due to going back to work and not haivng the time to play.

I've played on AB since SoD, when the majority of the Euro population on most servers moved there. Players come and go, come back and go again only to return a few months later. Their leaving has nothing to do with Overseer and more to do with RL and lack of things to do after completing the expansion and gearing up.

Our guild is probably the most stable on AB, last nights raid we hit a max of 76 members wanting to raid (we have a bench :rolleyes: ), we don't allow boxes so these were all real people. There were also some retired raiders out doing missions and exping. We are a big family who help each other get things done. Many of us have stopped picking up players from general chat due to people not paying attention, running off mid quest to get a piece of rotting loot in missions and missing quest updates and the biggest issue of all, not being able to comunicate where they are on a quest. When you get players 4 updates later saying they missed an update the other side of a dungeon it becomes frustrating. I feel for those not able to get groups, but sometimes they are their own worsed enemies.

I've also seen the opposite to you on people logging in to do Overseer, many nights I have seen someone say "I've only logged into do Overseer" and then the next moment they are grouped by guild mates to do missions and quests. Overseer has done a lot to get players logging in and find oppertunities they would have otherwise missed.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Responses:

preamble: I also had ~2k agents. Either in this thread, or another, I responded a couple days ago, I used the new auto-fill function to get my conversions done. Got down to ~700 agents, took just over an hour. My quest completion times are about 3-5 seconds. It's actually worse for me when I kick off a new quest, those take about 5-10 seconds.

1 - Tunare. Not the most populated, but hardly Zek
    2 - See preamble. Had ~2000. Pre auto-fill, was taking ~13-15 minutes to do the daily Overseer routine. Between auto-fill and converting away the excess agents, it's now 8.
    3 - LOL, no. Bought a fairly cheap, run of the mill PC 5.5 years ago. CPU and graphics cards are far from high powered.
    4 - Not including log in time, because the argument is Overseer vs. grouping. You have to log in either way. But for the sake of argument, add 5 minutes, which is about how long it takes to log my boxes in. (logging in in parallel, of course). Including quest completion. Not including converts, because I don't run them every day. As I said in that other thread, now that I have the big backlog converted, I will now check for needed conversions about once a week or so.
  7. Iven Antonius Bayle

My source of information is from that post, it might be wrong.

That does explain much. You do use six computers it seems so that you can do Overseer parallel which does save a lot time compared to serial. I will try to get my agents down a bit. Might boost my CPU for that as I have noticed that the Overseer speed is very dependant on CPU calculations. The last time when I did that, did took 8 hours but with a much slower CPU.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

9. Febb Augur

Overseer is great. It helped me get all of my characters leveled up so I could group with others at the top end. Without it, I probably wouldn't be playing at all.
    Rijacki and Windance like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How does spending a few minutes setting up overseer prevent them from doing other things in the game? I keep seeing claims that it prevents people from playing the game but no one has yet to explain how something that takes 5 minutes of a players time prevents them from doing other things.
    Tatanka, Rijacki and CatsPaws like this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Totally agree. After all most of us will plan to log in to raid, tradeskill, quest, missions or whatever. Activating Overseer is just an extra that takes very little time or effort and does not detract from anything else in the game. You cannot get a group or populate a zone in the time it takes to set up Overseer.

Overseer is like ketchup with french frys. It just adds to it. Like whine ;) wine with cheese.
    Rijacki and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  12. Iven Antonius Bayle

Alright, it is Amsterdam then if that info is still valid.

The point was that many players don't have a reason to do anything else beside Overseer as Overseer does offer the best epxerience/time ratio and comfort and because the nerfed mob experience has the worst ratio. Before Overseer got added, the daily quests got used in the same manner for up to lvl 105 PCs. Most players only did those and sometimes also the LoTD in combination with a few DH HAs and then logged off because they offered also the best experience/time ratio and everything else was a waste of time.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Because progression, tasks, evolving items, hunter, gear, augments, tradeskills and AA is all irrelevant in 2023. It is just Overseer for majority of players.

OK.
    Iven and Yinla like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A reason to do things besides progress in the game? You can only do a small fraction of the game by leveling just with overseer and there are large chunks that require you to go out and do things in the game. The claim that overseer is preventing people from playing the game is just false and an attempt to remove something you don't like.
    CatsPaws and Rijacki like this.
  15. Alnitak Augur

Let's see what is on MY to-do list:
    Continue farming NoS gear (mostly invisibles for Luck, Zenith armor is already rotting) and Otherwordly ores for my alts and keep earning those expansion coins for Type 5 augs I am still missing on some.
    I gotta stop finding excuses and start NoS champion progression beyond just unlocking the missions. Those cloaks won't evolve themselves.
    Maybe, just maybe, go back to CoV and push the progression through for those missing Heroic AA's.
    Go back to ToV and work on RZ earrings for a couple of my alts, which were neglected at the time.
    Go back to TBL for another round of Champion progression for my alts - those flying carpets are useful for casters, compact and cute.
    Come March - spend days and days in Anniversary tasks to buy newest and fancy mounts and/or other mission goodies.
    Meanwhile - keep running Overseer for Collectible fragments and tetradrachms (need to finish Alaris Tear, 17 of 20 atm).

And all of that with maxed AA's of primary characters and well-geared mains.

And I didn't even begin Artisan aug journey.

Anybody who says that Overseer stops players' activities is just delusional.
    Tatanka, CatsPaws, Cicelee and 2 others like this.
  16. Maedhros High King

I think overseer exp could be a bit lower and exp for actually killing mobs could be a bit higher, but all my toons got maxxed out aa in like a month so it seems pretty irrelevant to me.
    Poor bard maxxed out in like 7 minutes. JK but barely.
  17. FranktheBank Augur

Everyone in here complaining that overseer xp to taking people away from groups... Those people wouldn't group with you anyway. Also, the idea in the OP;
    Absolutely not. I would like to minimize the time playing EQ outside of raids.

Saying Overseer is the best xp/time is a bit disingenuous, since you are hard capped on Overseer in a day.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  18. Celephane Augur

Experience hasn't been changed, the amount you need to level up is the change. Quit complaining about it. If you put 100% of towards AAs it is still obviously the same as it has ever been. If they were to increase the amount of experience gained from killing a mob your AAs would fly by even faster, making them pointless to work towards anyway. Leveling in this game isn't hard.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  19. Bobokin Augur

I do. My whole guild does.

Is that a problem.
    Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

Thats is the sad truth for many players. There are different type of players and only the achievers are out for most of the stuff that you listed. Some of them are pure time eating extra fodder for those that have completed everything else to keep them hooked.

But we also have killers, socializers and explorers and every players is a mix of the four base categories, leaning to some more than to others. As example 70% A, 5% K, 5% E, 20% S. For those the game does offer nearly nothing. Everything today has been designed for the achievers which seems to be the biggest group. The content for killers has even been nerfed by taking away large parts of mob kill exp. The last few expansions were small and remakes of well known zones so there is not much to explore. As the player population is going down, to many players have their toons standing around afk, and the experience groups are dead, socializers do also have less content (chatting, helping other players).