All classes/races available, Random Loot, Luclin Start TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cyrics, Jan 16, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabman Augur

oh got it so not actually a dev response, just again, what you assume. saying that they havent done it before is not an argument that they wont do something... mischief and vaniki are the first 2 substantial changes to the game for tlps. one in loot and the other in level locked progression. will they continue down that path with "new" things each year? we only have 2 samples to go off of. before this the biggest difference they had was what expac it launched in and the time between unlocks, those arent ground breaking changes like the last 2 years have seen.
  2. code-zero Augur

You know, now that I think about it, they typical TLP recycler may well have a strong dislike for classes and races that they've never experienced in game before. If you were to balance however many players you may gain with BER/BST in original against players who potentially might give that server a pass it may well be a wash and in that case there's no real motive to do it
  3. Court Elder

I mean I’ve never played much beyond a Bard for TLPs, but by the time BST and BER come out I’m usually already committed to whatever class I chose in classic. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t try to give them a shot from day 1 on a new TLP. Having to re-roll after working your character in levels and gear for 2 to 6 expansions isn’t ideal for a lot of people. Being able to play from the start might be for these classes.
    ISmellLikeInnySwamp likes this.
  4. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I was actually hoping that Beastlord and Berserker became a permanent feature for all future TLPs in classic.

A lot of players in this thread want another Mischief clone'ish, but I actually prefer the standard TLP ruleset. I'm still happy for the Mischief crew because they are keeping EQ alive for all of us. Their subscription numbers have to be looking really nice to Daybreak's accounting team. :D
  5. Malkavius Augur

Not sure if anyone else played the Discord server forever ago. But it was a FFA pvp hardcore server that was released before GoD came out. And it had beastlords AND was classic locked and was the first time they ever reverted revamped dungeons like Cazic Thule outside maybe some events i'm not sure about? Of course that was a different time but they whipped it up pretty quick and seemed easy enough so I don't see why adding BER and BST would be an issue.

One thing people have to realize though is that berserker are going to be pretty terrible dps until much much later. They are essentially less tanky warriors pre AAs and 2.0. Same reason the class tanks in popularity after the first few months or so after GoD and people start to realize they aren't the dps kings until several expansions. Frenzy just isn't that strong baseline and I've leveled up many BER solo/molo/grouped over the years and always felt their dps was just bad until you get to 70s with good gear and AAs. One could argue the same for any class in era but pre AA berserkers are rough. I tried all classes often several times because I enjoy the leveling and BER always felt the worst. That of course wont stop me from day one playing them in classic at all.

Beastlords will still be good in groups but their weapon choices are pretty awful until velious so that might be something people complain about. But that's the sacrifice you make if you want them at the start which I think is still a good and fun compromise for both classes.

Some people will always play the class they enjoy regardless of how bad it is and I see little reason not to have the option.
  6. Captain Video Augur

This is not correct. Discord (not the current info service) was a "contest" server that ran for something like 3.5 weeks in Dec 2003/Jan 2004, with in-game awards as prizes. It was notorious for being extensively hacked, the cheat ratio was close to 100%, and as a result at least some of the supposedly won prizes were never awarded.

It was not locked at Classic. All zones prior to GoD (which hadn't been released yet) were theoretically available, which is why BST could be in the game without any re-programming. The server was level-locked at 50 and all AAs were turned off, which misled some players into thinking it was Classic-locked.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Crabman said:
    “Then Jchan also went onto a twitch stream a little later in 2020 and when asked if bst/ber could be in classic, she responded “sure they could, but I’m not sure people would want that”. So, not sure where else to try to show devs that it is in fact something wanted than by posting it here.”

JChan may have been talking about Devs when she said people.

Vaniki launched with all classes, while there were a lot of beasts running around I saw very few zerkers.
  8. Psalmz Elder

There were mulitple zerkers in my guild on Vaniki. But also, Vaniki started in Gates of Discord.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many threads over the years are needed to show the devs that you want this?
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There have been many threads about this over the year and we have had a server launch in GoD to allow for the creation of all classes at the start of the game. I think it is clear that the server is a response to wanting to start with all classes.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Wasn't there also complaints about berserker dps when the server launched?
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Ignore Waring choosing this weird hill to die on.

Ya, classic is totally balanced.

Ya, totally agree. Ignoring maps, raid window, xtar, aggro meters, certain AAs, some spells. This is dangerously close to a p99 tier comment.

I think Bst/Ber playable at launch is a possible TLP idea. It's more about convincing the devs that the work will be worth it.
    Skuz and Crabman like this.
  13. Malkavius Augur

Yes it was a contest for most kills but I don't understand how it being a ffa pvp hardcore server was incorrect? You could not make iksar or vah shir and couldn't travel to to other zones that weren't classic me and a few people even tried. So I have no idea what your idea of classic locked means if you can't travel to any other zones than classic. And yes hacking was rampant with people just teleporting around zones for kills.
  14. code-zero Augur

It occurs to me, all classes/races means Drakkin too right?

Honestly this is getting the entire lore/storyline thing messed up bad. It's really not worth doing just to make a minority who undoubtably would complain about being unplayable happy
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right, we should just add in more things that are not balanced and give people more reason to complain. First they are complaining that they can't play the class and later they complain that the class isn't balanced and can't do much when they get it.

And how many threads do we need each year to ask for this?
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Captain Video Augur

If memory serves, they may have closed off PoK shortly after the server launched in an attempt to combat the hacking. I never rolled on that server, so I am going by forum threads of the era. The point is that the codebase was a clone of then-current Live, with a few tweaks to cap level and disable all AAs, and to put in their scoring mechanic, whatever that was. They did NOT need to re-code to make BST a playable class on that server. For the same reason, Iksars had to be on the server, there was no obvious reason to restrict them. They could have been locked out immediately after launch because hacking.

You can't use that server as an example to claim the re-coding to put BST in true Classic content is trivial; that's not what they did then.
  17. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

I just want all of the classes added, not all races.
    OP tossed everything at the fridge and hoped something would stick. :D
  18. Court Elder

Well after several years of threads about a Free Trade TLP they gave us one.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That still doesn't answer the question of how many threads we need each year on the subject. Think I have seen 3 or 4 so far this TLP cycle. And what you got wasn't so much a free trade server but a random loot server with free trade added on to make it work.
  20. Court Elder

Are you honestly looking for an answer to that question? However many it takes? Every year there are dozens of threads regarding the new TLPs.

And it’s still a free trade server, regardless of whatever other rules it has.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.