Ditch Overseer and just make exp better

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Iven Antonius Bayle

I think that removing Overseer completely is not necessary. I would remove the PC experience reward option and minimize the time effort that has to be spend on Overseer. The merc experience reward option should be also removed and adapted as a bonus to mob kills and quests instead. Maybe even only to quests so that quests are focused on merc exp rewards and NPC kills would reward player exp as in the good old tradition that had been given up. That is a compromise that everybody including Daybreak could live with as a change to the better. The connection between Overseer and seasonal events would be untouched.

Regarding the time effort:
    Just image if you had to play gems for 2x 10 minutes every day per account to get some rewards. It would be stupid also.
    The players do want to play EQ and not a mini game instead. Overseer is much to intrusive and the exp rewards to high and gratuitous. It should be purely optional for special also optional rewards like Overseer Tetradrachms, collectibles and tradeskill items. An Overseer session should not take longer than two minutes including everything like merc conversation quests. No need for merc conversations would be even better. The time effort could be further reduced by aligning all quests into 16-20 hour ones just like it had been done with Franklin Teek's daily quests. Further time reducing mechanisms can be found in my suggestions thread at The big Overseer revamp.

As someone mentioned, there definetly could be a connection between the nerfed mob kill experience (in ToV and later expansions) and Overseer for the cash grab reason. If that is true, Overseer is even more destructive than I thought.
  2. Windance Augur

Anyone who is saying overseer is a pay to win or cash grab are grasping for straws to make an argument.

---------------------

First - The micro transactions to finish quests early are fairly small *AND* the total number of quests you can do per day is caped at 10. Neither of which make sense if it was a "cash grab"

Second - The micro transactions for buying extra packs are nearly meaningless. I have more than enough agents just from doing the standard stuff. Its not like you need to go drop $20-$100 on getting the flippy agent pack in order to do the best quests.

---------------------

I suspect they earn more from the "perks" than they do from overseer micro transactions.
    Yinla, Rijacki and Nennius like this.
  3. Iven Antonius Bayle

The micro transactions do easily sum up to bigger amounts of money. $0.44 - $0.49 per common 12h quest x 10 = $4.40 - $4.90 per day. That is a nice sum of money when being done daily by hundreds of players. For comparision: A day AllAccess does cost $0.33 - $0.50.

The whole trick behind micro transactions is that the customer is always seeing small numbers and that the most people are bad at even simple math. 1 dollar/euro stores do make use of the same strategy.
  4. Windance Augur

I'm not doubting that the micro transactions add up.

No one I've asked is regularly using the "finish it now" feature. A couple said they tried it when it first came out but haven't spent anything on overseer in months/years.

At the same time, there ARE people in my guild who are paying for "perks" and a couple returning players have broken down and purchased krono's to pay the "professional PL'ers" to get caught up.

That is why I can't get behind the "overseer" is a "cash grab" argument.
    Rijacki and Velisaris_MS like this.
  5. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

It does suck. There’s an auto-fill button, which just to put a reward on a timer. Just give basic login reward option and perk tier for some extra bonuses. Game & Server performance would be better off without Overseer grafted onto it.

Also, I don’t get how you can claim you “see plenty of posters” not using Overseer. Seems like a baseless claim.

Spare me the it’s just “5 minutes” argument and doesn’t need to fun, WoW’s player base revolted over stuff like that finally.
  6. Iven Antonius Bayle

Perks are cheap compared to Overseer finishing buys and everyone has very easy access to them. Perks are hidden in the marketplace so not everyone does know about them. At a price of just a few cent the inhibition to buy a few OS finishers is very low and it will quickly become similar expensive like a perk $3.00 (-1 ct) or the full budle at $5.00 (-1 ct). Just because you don't know someone who is buying them does not mean that nobody does so. It might not be the biggest cash grab but it is definetly getting used by some players. There was a guy on the forums that did spend a few hundred or even thousand dollars just to get Overseer maxed as fast as possible when it got released.

I just noticed that the Overseer finishing prices do scale with the remaining time and there are also other price factors like quest rarity and success rate or agent rarity. For a fresh 12 hour common quest the price is $0.44 - $0.49. Doing that 10 times does equal a full bundle of monthly perks.
  7. Windance Augur

Right, that was before they put in the 10 quest max.

If it was a cash grab they wouldn't have added that.
    Rijacki, Yinla and Tatanka like this.
  8. Iven Antonius Bayle

There were other reasons like bugs and exploits why they added the limit. It is still a cash grab, maybe not as good as before.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, overseer can't be used used to get gear or any AA after you have completed all your collections. All it does is let you increase your level which means that people can get to the level needed to play with others. Overseer is doing nothing to prevent people from playing the game and claims otherwise are just wrong.
    Rijacki and code-zero like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A system that you don't have to pay anything to max out and is limited on how much you can spend.
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Doesn't take long to build up agents in Overseer. I started using it in December I think it was. Now don't get me wrong I hate Overseer and the whole idea of it BUT you don't have to spend money on it. Now Daybreak does encourage you to spend money with 24 hour (should be 23 hours) missions as folks either spend money to complete them or they have to run the missions later and later in the day. But its a small amount of money and can be covered by the monthly 500 db cash (probably part of the design).

I would much prefer exp be put back in the grind game even if I can't grind like I used to (too much repetitive stress pain). And to be fair overseer gives you exp without as much grinding and clicking overall.

I hate overseer and the whole idea of getting exp playing a mini game. Might as well get exp for playing gems. BUT I get that a lot of people really like it and it does serve a need in the game especially for those trying to level the last few expansions since they have to complete missions for exp or face a painful grind.

They should still improve grinding exp though.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

A - No, it doesn't

B - Who are you to call me a liar? Take a hike. One I knew right off the top of my head is the poster right above this, Corwyn. LOL, now I see he just started using it last month. Must really suck?

C - Won't spare you anything. It's now 8 minutes to get through all 6 accounts, with auto-fill. So, 1.33 minutes per account.
    Yinla and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You really didn’t refute anything in my post. You click auto fill across 6 accounts without paying attention to anything you’re doing. You’re just putting a reward on queue. The system really doesn’t add anything that couldn’t be accomplished by a daily bonus and perk tier for more rewards

You’re not a liar, but you’re making claims based off other people’s posts, which you can’t actually verify.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Y'all must be trying to get this thread locked lol.

At this point the playerbase is so spread out that the only thing that makes sense is removing the level gap for exp when grouping. EQ is already a treadmill. It doesn't need a pre-treadmill treadmill.

Bonus points if there's a stat squish to help curb the exponential power creep from hamster to demigod that happens every level cap increase.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

1. I'm not paying for perks!
    2. We get a daily bonus every day already it is called Lesson of the Devoted
    3. There is a chance you won't get any reward, but there is also a chance that reward will be increased, nothing is set in stone.
    4. Not everyone goes with the auto fill, I switch out a couple of elites if the mission wants to use them, as I know there are a couple of missions of which only 1 of my agents will start the mission.
    5. It gives me something to do other than playing gems while I wait for group mates to get themselves orgainised. :rolleyes:
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I’ve posted before there needs to be more non-combat options for character progression, but adding the auto-fill with 6+ hour timers doesn’t make that much more than creating a rewards queue. Now, if they want to get into short duration tasks like 1,5, 10, etc to add some more stuff to do while waiting on group that’d be fine. It’s modeled off mobile type games that do things like that to have more engagement.

Pick a lane though either double down and make it more interesting and engaging or just shut it down and make them passive rewards with dev time moved elsewhere.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And many of us like the current lane just fine. Which has the added benefit of taking no additional dev time at all.
    Yinla and Rijacki like this.
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

You contradict yourself a bit, McMarrin. When players do use Overseer as a tool to level up their PCs it does prevent them from playing the other game partially or even completely. When they do use only Overseer for leveling up, that does prevent the gameplay contact with other players and we can see the result which are low populated and empty zones. EQ is still an MMORPG and not a single player game. Overseer does undermine the multiplayer aspect of EQ and the main reason is the level/AA experience reward option.
  19. Windance Augur

If you go back to the older threads you'll see the problems with people finding groups and complaining about XP long before overseer was introduced.

The assumption that with out overseer people would just log in and be available to groups is not correct.
    FYAD, Waring_McMarrin, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

1 - Overseer takes less than 5 minutes a day to run. Doesn't "prevent" anything.

2 - Group A players group exclusively, do missions/progression the way the devs want. They max level in about 30-60 days.
    Group B players get XP through Overseer exclusively. They max level in about 30-60 days.
    So for the next 22-23 months, they're all in the same boat.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.