Frozen eq screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Maginus, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Maginus Lorekeeper

Everytime I let the computer get to the power save (ie monitor turns off after a set time of 10min) while eq is up and the primary window it freezes the eq window and stays the primary window no matter what I do.
    Alt tab, ctrl alt del, windows key....nothing brings any other window to the front. They function but the eq window won't let anything else up front. Only thing so far that works is if I reboot the pc.

Any suggestions?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Disable the screen saver. Burn in is no longer an issue so they are not needed
  3. Maginus Lorekeeper

Thanks for the advice but changing something that's not broke so the other thing doesn't break is not a fix. Screen saver in my case turns the monitor off to use less power. Not going to change that.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

You can adjust the Windows (OS) energy options. Select the energy saving mode and adjust the timer for turning off the screen. At the advanced options you can adjust even more details. You should also adjust your screen saver to not turning off the screen if that is the souce of your problem.

LCD screens do have a similar problem like CRT burn in but it is much less problematic. It is called transient image persistence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in
    https://www.agneovo.com/global/anti-burn-in-technology
  5. Maginus Lorekeeper

Thank you Iven but yet again that is not a fix.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

I have tested that with EQ in fullscreen and in windowed mode with different standard Windows 10 sreensavers and there were no problems so I think that your screensaver is the problem. Maybe you need a 64 bit one. You should give us more details like the OS that you use and which screensaver. Do you play in windowed or fullscreen mode ? Does this also happen with other windows and programs
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ezing-by-monitor-standby.272983/#post-4192950
  8. Gialana Augur

Something similar happens to me, but I don't have to restart my computer. I don't have a screensaver; my monitor is just set to sleep after some amount of time. I also am playing in windowed mode.

I will typically leave with my client at the character select when I take a break. When I come back, the top window is "frozen." The character animation is frozen, sometimes in hilarious poses. If I hit the "Enter World" button, it appears nothing happens. However, if I click on another tab on the taskbar, that window becomes the focus. I then click back over to the "frozen" client and see that my character is loading into the world.

Alternatively, I can click to another tab on the task bar before entering the world. When I return to the "frozen" client, the character animation begins again, and the character select screen behaves as expected.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yes it is a fix to the problem. It seems it is a fix you don't want though.
    Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  10. Maginus Lorekeeper

Surprising how many people miss the whole point. I don't need to "fix" my screen power settings because it's not broken! How about fix the game that is having the problem. My power settings are perfect. I am looking for a way to fix the game and changing something else so it doesn't trigger the FLAW in the game is not a fix! It's like asking someone how to fix my broken door and them telling me to just duct tape it. It's ok if you don't have an answer but don't suggest duct tape fixes to me.
  11. Maginus Lorekeeper

No, no it's not...
  12. Iven the Lunatic

It is a workaround, not a fix. You should make a bug report as we cannot help you here if you think that the game is causing the problem.
  13. Loup Garou De loop de loop

TBH you did ask for suggestions, not fixes. :D Anywho this thread https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/eq-client-freezing-by-monitor-standby.272983/ which was only 2 below yours might provide some more "suggestions" and unless your running a CRT monitor then new hardware does not take up enough energy use to justify that as the reason for use of screen savers now days. And a simple google will show screen saver freezing is a result of an issue in your system.

After all it would affect far more than a handful of players if it were a game bug.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My suggestion is bin your PC, my pc is 12 years old & can run EQ just freaking fine.

But if you really like your PC & don't want to bin it, here's a long list of stuff you can work through & see if any of it helps:

Player Support Help (A compilation of help provided by players to other players)

Pre-Install:

A1: Make sure your Firewall / Antivirus software is up to date

A2: Check that your Ethernet Drivers are up to date

A3: Check your Sound Drivers are up to date

A4. Check what Graphics hardware you are using & uninstall the old drivers & re-install the latest WHQL drivers for it or a new copy of the current drivers if you already have the latest ones.

A5. Download & install Direct X 9c

(LINK 1 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109)

A6. Download & install the latest C++ runtimes

(LINK - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads)

A7. Optional - Disable or Remove Xbox Gamebar and Game Mode

Installation:

B1. Do not use the default installation path, instead use a file location like C:\EverQuest (this avoids a range of problems)

B2. If you have already installed then you can take the EverQuest folder out of wherever it was installed to, place it on the drive you want it to be (ideally a fast SSD with at least 20GB of free space) and then change your desktop shortcut to point it to the new location.

Post Installation:

B3.Run a file check from the EQ Launcher

How to Validate Game Assets through the launchpad;

Run the LaunchPad and log in, but do not press play.

Click on the Advanced Tools icon (looks like a gear) in the lower left and and choose Validate Game Assets.

Press the green Validate button to have the LaunchPad check your game files and download any missing or corrupt files.)

Connection:

C1. Power cycle your router & modem - Switch off for 60 seconds then back on.

C2. Add launchpad.exe & eqgame.exe to the exceptions or white-list for your anti-virus & firewall - especially if you are using Windows Defender as this is known to often block connections to EQ.

C3. Reset your Internet Options:

Even if you use Firefox, Google Chrome or another web browser to surf the internet, the LaunchPad runs off of Internet Explorer settings. Follow these steps to reset your Internet Options which may improve LaunchPad performance.

(Note: Microsoft is dropping Internet Explorer & moving to Edge for default browser so this step may need to be adapted)

Go to Start, then your Control Panel.

Click on Internet Options.

Click on the Advanced Tab.

Click on Reset.

Check the box Delete Personal Settings, and then OK.

Go back to Internet Options to the Advanced Tab, scroll down to Security and un-check "Check Server Certification Revocation" and "Do Not Save Encrypted Pages to Disk".

Click OK.

C4. Clearing the LaunchPad Cache & related:

Navigate to the directory of the game you are trying to play and open the launchpad.libs folder. Delete the launchpad.cache folder and relaunch the LaunchPad again.

Locate the file "Launchpad-user.ini" and delete it.

Go to C:\Users<USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow and delete the entire "Daybreak Game Company" and "Sony Online Entertainment" folders. (These folders are flagged as "Hidden" - you will need to enable the "View Hidden Files and Folders" option in the Folder Options menu of your Windows Explorer)

C5. Flush DNS (reset internet connection)

Navigate to the desktop. (From Home, tap or click the Desktop tile).

Right-click the Start button (the Windows logo in the lower-left).

Choose Command Prompt (Admin).

When asked whether to allow Command Prompt to make changes to your computer, select Yes.

Note: If you are asked for an administrative login, you will need to contact your system administrator.

Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter.

Type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter.

Type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter.

Restart the computer.

Video Issues:

D1. Game Crashing upon entering.

Right Mouse button Click the EQ Icon, select Properties then compatibility then put a check in the box for "disable full screen optimizations" hit apply then run as administrator the first time you log in

D2.Game Crashing upon entering.

Locate the eqclient.ini file in the Everquest directory and set WindowedMode=TRUE then save eqclient.ini.

D3. Black Flashing Screen.

Locate the eqclient.ini file and find [Video mode] and set FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32

D4. Over-bright graphics with 2.0 shaders on.

NVidia Cards - Turn off antialiasing gamma correction from the NVidia Control Panel.

Optimization:
    E1. EQ on multi core CPU, see the post below:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/set-affinity-win-10.273549/#post-4004352
    Racain and Metanis like this.
  15. Maginus Lorekeeper

The problem with your theory is if it were a system problem it would occur with other programs as well which it does not. It ONLY happens with EQ. I edited the original post and I hope it clears things up but this occurs when the monitor is put to sleep not a screen saver and I do this so my power consumption is lower when I am not using the PC because my monitor is 32" curved display.
  16. Maginus Lorekeeper

Skuz what do you mean by Bin? Is that a way of saying throw it out? If so allow me to share some specs.
    Win10
    Ryzen 5 2600 six core
    16GB ram
    3060 rtx gpu
    As well and a SSD

Let's just say it can run the new Warzone 2.0 at max graphics with zero problems.
    As for your suggested list most of those are rookie things however I was intrigued by D4. I will be making this adjustment and see if it has an effect.
    This might also fix another minorly annoying issue I have been having with the gamma being super dark after exiting the game entirely and to get it to go back to normal I would right click the desktop and click display and it would go back to normal.
  17. Ceii9 New Member

This isn't even true. There have been people using OLED screens for years now, and those are still subject to burn in.