EverQuest Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Sorry mate, my bad, it was late and I should have chosen my words more wisely. What I meant to say is that I would like to see an upgrade to our old EQ2 toons as an entire separate matter. I do not want to see EQ1 adapt or borrow our current EQ2 player toons in any shape, form or way since both games follow and boast a different art style, design choices and more. I'm 100% with you that new EQ1 models would be great though, if they're inspired by the original design choices with more polys, better textures, new animations etc. - you name it. In fact, I sometimes prefer the original EQ1 models over some of the ones that we have in EQ2 right now. Example:

Original EQ2 model:

[IMG]

EQ1 avatar:

[IMG]

My version of the two merged together to form a new being specifically for EQ2 that is:

[IMG]

This is what I meant. I have a few ideas on how EQ1 could be done too, could try to visualise these thoughts one of these days.
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

You mean open a merch store -again-. There was a merch store years ago while they were still doing Fan Faire (and whatever it was called later that I can't recall though I have badges from someplace). I still have some merch from both EQ and then later EQ2.
  3. Morrigan Bowjobs

When you guys gonna update auto follow? My other character constantly gets caught on every little thing, can't follow me on Z-axis, and constantly loses tracking.
    Brontus, Allayna, Wdor and 2 others like this.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

So something similar to this?

[IMG]

Or some elves perhaps?
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  5. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Ah yes, good old Vanguard. Would love to see that game remastered and re-released again tbh. We have talked about this a bit over at the eq2 forums btw, still lots of potential there. But yeah, minus the dark elf, the other two models look good and solid (especially if used as a base and upgraded even further). Wouldn't mind it at all if that were actually the direction our new eq models take or get inspired by.

What about you, do you like those models and would you be happy if something similar to Vanguard's models get used for EQ?
  6. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I just feel that they have all of this content available and collecting dust. Not pushing from a VG re-release, but there's so much there to utilize.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  7. internalprime8 Journeyman

Is there a copy of the artwork used for this announcement available to download somewhere? It’s super nostalgic.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  8. Sturmlocke Apprentice

True mate, true. Whether a re-release happens or not, there's no shame in taking inspiration or literally borrowing from Vanguard in this case. Fully agree, what a shame to let that all go to waste. I'd rather see it reused in any way vs letting all that hard work that was put into it just sit there for nothing.

That said, and this was asked over in the eq2 forums too, who exactly holds the licenses, rights etc. to Vanguard ? Would be awesome if DB was actually in possession of everything Vanguard.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

No.

Just as I and others dislike the SOGA models for most/all characters in EQ2, many playing EQ dislike the Luclin models, and many in both games prefer the SOGA or Luclin models in their respective games. But, not all players like all models available even if there is only one set of models from the day the game launched until it sunsets. For some players, they won't play a particular race/species based solely on not liking the visual.

As for the Vanguard models, if I remember rightly that was the game where the dwarf arm length was the same as the human and also the same arm length for the tallest race or was that.. umm.. what was the game where you could play a dragon? Harmony?

But, Vanguard's models fit better in the Vanguard environment art. They would look extremely out of place in the EQ environment in the same way Luclin models look out of place in many of the early expansion zones. The art style doesn't match. Same if you were to put ESO character art into EQ or EQ2 or WoW characters or DCUO characters, etc. The art styles don't match. To some, that doesn't matter, to others it can be very unsettling.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

You do realize that not everybody raids right? least of my worries and there are more people that dont raid than there are those that do. Just raiders are the most vocal on here. Im most interested in the new UI.
    Rijacki and Ileasa like this.
  11. HighSpawnRate New Member

It's a point without merit really. Without raiders, the game dies. Without nonraiders, the game dies.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I would absolutely be interested in a guide to install EQ1 on a Linux capable Chromebook. I have both a PC and Chromebook laptops, and would love to be able to run both at once for minor boxing conveniences. I have tried to install EQ1 on the Chromebook without much success. Any links to a functioning guide to do this, would be greatly appreciated.
    Sturmlocke likes this.
  13. Moege Augur

I will throw my piece of silver into the wishing fountain.

While they are busy with the UI, please allow each character to have its own keybinds !
    Orangemilk, Tallie, Raccoo and 6 others like this.
  14. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Hey Wdor, are you interested in EQ with a Linux distro (for example Ubuntu) on your Chromebook laptops, or do you want to stick with ChromeOS and try to get EQ up and running on that instead? If it's ChromeOS we're talking about here, which I don't have that much experience with, maybe Crossover can make things work? It does have ChromeOS support these days: https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover#chromeos

If it's a Linux distro of any kind, send me a PM here on the forum with your hardware details etc. and I'll look into it. I'll try to do a EQ1 on Linux with Steam vid next week. EQ2 runs ootb on Steam + Linux, you just need a single launch command in Steam for it to run, but EQ1 requires one or two additional steps.
  15. DragoonRuin New Member

I swear. I just want the ability to enlarge the Text in specific windows at larger resolutions. Extended Target text 2560 x 1440 is TINY and nearly impossible to ready. The ability to make it larger would literally be the only necessary thing I could ask for.

The ability to Grid align would be nice, and snap UI Parts to themselves which has been mentioned in the announcement would be fantastic also.

BTW if ANYONE knows an aftermarket UI which has readable Text at 2560x1440, please throw it my way. I'm sick of guessing which target i'm going for next in ET window.
    Ileasa likes this.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

only way I found was to change to whole UI to a font that renders overlarge.
  17. Eomund New Member

Excellent. Window scaling is the feature I've most wanted out of the EQ UI for years. Several returning/new players have asked me if this feature exists in the past, and I've always had to give them a compromise that falls far short of this basic feature that most modern games and programs seem to have. I'm excided to see the progress this new UI engine will bring.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The elf looks good, the dark elf looks ok, just a bit dark,hate the dwarf it looks odd, out of proportion maybe.
  19. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I just whipped them up quick off the server.. not all of the settings are working correctly yet and there's loads more options.

Plus these are the Phase 3 models. P1 (beta) were Waaaaay more detailed, and P2 had better frames than P3. They had to reduce the character wire frames because so many PC's at the time couldn't handle rendering them well in large numbers.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

[IMG]

I could probably spend the better part of a day fiddling with character creation specs.. but it's all about the skin, really That's the main asset. the frame underneath can be adjusted nearly indefinitely.
  20. Snazster Elder

Being able to make the durn compass bar bigger would be worth an enormous amount by itself.
    Raccoo and Svann2 like this.