EverQuest Roadmap 2023

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Accendo Guest

[IMG]Who's ready to check out what’s coming this year?

Yup, the roadmap is back! Given all the positive reactions from the "experiment" we started last year we've decided to bring this back again for this year. Although before we dive into our plans for 2023, let's look at some of the things we accomplished in 2022...

In 2022, we delivered on every point in the roadmap (eventually). Our extended family that is EverQuest got to see the Community Resource Council come to fruition, 64-bit upgrades to servers and clients, our 23rd Anniversary celebration, many updated holiday in-game events, new progression servers, new classic achievements, the much-anticipated Heroic Characters update, an unbelievable and very humbling Extra Life response, and last but certainly not the least, the launch of Night of Shadows. We got a lot accomplished and now we're gearing up for another milestone-making year!

2022 Roadmap Update:
    We're excited to share with you our 2023 plans. A reminder that these are high-level goals and target delivery dates and do not list everything we will be doing. We will continue working on other updates to the game, fixing issues, and making "quality of life" improvements (such as UI tweaks, etc.). Without further ado, here are our big plans for EverQuest 2023!

[IMG]

2023 Roadmap:
    • January:
    • February:
      • New Content for Erollisi Day
      • Night of Shadows Tier 2 Raids Unlock
        • When One Door Closes
        • Myconid Mutany
        • Dance of the Demiurge
    • March:
      • Night of Shadows Tier 3 Raids Unlock
        • The Spirit Fades
        • The Shadows Move
        • Under Siege
      • New Content for Brew Day
      • EverQuest's 24th Anniversary Celebration - New quests and a mission.
    • April:
      • New UI Engine Initial Launch - Full engine launch with some of the windows ported to the new engine.
    • May:
      • New Content for Tempest Festival
      • New Progression Server (Ruleset "To Be Announced")
    • June:
      • New Pride Month Familiars
    • July:
      • Server Merge - Merging Coirnav to Vox.
    • August:
      • New Content for Stone Cold Summer
    • October:
      • 2023's Expansion Beta + Pre-order
      • DirectX 11 API port
    • November:
      • Extra Life Game Day - Help us raise funds for the Children's Miracle Network.
      • New Content for Feast of Giving
    • December:
      • 2023's Expansion Launch - EverQuest's 30th Expansion!
    • Throughout the Year:
      • Porting More Windows to the New UI Engine
      • Zone Performance Improvements
    • Release Date TBD in 2023:
      • Guild Tradeskill Depot
    And there you have it—a group shot of our high-level goals for this year; dates and events are subject to change. So, with loads to look forward to, let's gear up, mount up, and get ready!

May your anniversary grant you the best of rings,

Jenn Chan
    Head of Studio

Be sure to follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Discord.

Orangemilk, Axxius, Skuz and 13 others like this.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

Raid lag?
    PCSS, Svann2, Axxius and 3 others like this.
  3. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Thanks for the roadmap!

Any hints on which heritage crates and expansions will be offered this year?
    Knifen, Sturmlocke and Hobitses like this.
  4. Emilari UI Designer

Will the new UI engine be using a new language? Currently players that maintain custom UI's are familiar with XML. If it's changing could the team share which language UI authors should be learning between now and April pretty please?
    PCSS, Wdor, Corwyhn Lionheart and 7 others like this.
  5. Sturmlocke Apprentice

Just stopped by to say congrats. Have been reading the EQ2 roadmap so far, then I thought it might be a good idea to check what EQ1 is doing this year, and boy oh boy does it look good.

New UI engine + DirectX11 API upgrades for both EQ1 AND 2 (2 = minus the UI stuff)? Awesome, I'm in!
    Skuz, Skewert, Hobitses and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lodestar The Undefeated

Raid lag is the only thing we want an update on.

DirectX 11 will be great.
    Hobitses likes this.
  7. Meeko Developer(Code)

Emilari, Cyphren, Skuz and 12 others like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What does that mean in laymans terms?
  9. Razorfall Augur

This looks like a baseline for some really cool stuff in the following years :)

I'm pumped
    Skuz, Skewert, Hobitses and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sancus Augur

From Ganzito on Beta:
    I don't see class balance (or any other systems design goals) on the roadmap. I hope this is still part of the schedule, as classes (along with raid lag) continue to be a huge sore point for the live game. NoS launch included some incremental improvements, but there's a lot more that needs to be done.

I'm really glad to see zone performance improvements is still on the roadmap.
    Pryssylus, Allayna, Cadira and 10 others like this.
  11. Valcron Elder

Absolutely nothing about class balance in here.
    Pryssylus, Allayna, Vysh and 5 others like this.
  12. WFSBelaar Lorekeeper

Sighs in Monk
    Pryssylus and Gloomfall like this.
  13. Marcos New Member

From one expansion to the next we keep getting the same promises......"At some later date we'll start looking to these concerns, but in the meantime, just keep giving us money".
    My EQ roadmap this year is a dead end until they actually make good on their words. All we get are distractions to draw our attention away from core problems with the game. I won't continue to financially support a game that wants to keep a broken system in place.
  14. robber baron Journeyman

Who is on the Community Resource Council? Are they giving class balance feedback?
    Pryssylus, Allayna, Brontus and 2 others like this.
  15. dwish Augur

Considering the 2022 "Zone Performance Improvements" had next to no perceivable effect on raid lag on FV, at least as far as how often we got broke instances, I'm not real optimistic.
    Moege, Fenthen and Herf like this.
  16. Accendo Guest

Skuz, minimind and Skewert like this.
  17. Lodestar The Undefeated

Class balance can't be correctly implemented until raid lag/zone improvements is completed first. Lag causes dynamic changes in DPS output to different classes depending on the severity of lag. It's dynamic.

Thank you for the update Meeko and clarification that raid lag continues to be at the forefront of concern by developers.
    Kaenneth, Skuz, dwish and 2 others like this.
  18. Marcos New Member

As valued as the BETA feedback?
  19. Herf Augur

I hope it doesn't mean we get different bugs/features depending on which UI window we're using at that moment.
  20. Lodestar The Undefeated

Meeko or any Developer: Any clarification on why a port to DirectX 11 is occurring, rather than DX12? Development start quite a while back dictating that it's DX11 at this point?
    Hobitses, Svann2, minimind and 3 others like this.