Can we get a Hot *UN-Fix* on the Forced Progression?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Astefin, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

QFT
    Tacoheals likes this.
  2. kizant Augur

How about you get a 100% exp bonus in new expansion zones that decays to zero as you complete mercs, partisans, and missions. Then you can choose which way to level!
    Vumad and Tacoheals like this.
  3. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!

Finally some logic!
    kizant likes this.
  4. Treiln Augur

Skews it too far into the grinding mobs again. Getting a 100% bonus to experience while grinding to max out AAs would be so easy then. There wouldn’t be a point to doing quests/progression until the next expansion came out and you go back and do the previous expacs progression for quick exp (like ToV)
  5. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!

It was sarcasm, it is already too easy to do 1-120 with max AAs
    Szilent likes this.
  6. demi Augur

where would you go for 70 to 90 ? those lvls always seem to slow me down ..
  7. Astefin Journeyman

I never said I wanted to "beat" the expansion. I want to go through the zones, find some nice spots to grind and make a nice and tidy pile of npc bodies while grouping.

Yes, I want to gear up, never knew that was an issue?

The issue isn't that old expansions had progression, it is that it wasn't forced. Ok, a few zones were locked behind progression, it doesn't matter when the majority was not. With every expansion miniscule compared to previous expansions, it becomes a problem.

Let me sit in a grind corner and eat my grind cake. Don't take away the grind cake because you want people to see your horrible quests.

This doesn't even take into account the fact that returning players will be unable to do anything without being powered through by someone else.

To the person that said if they took away the progression and made missions just able to be entered, that it would be like LDON all over again... So you are saying one of the best expansions they had, returning to a similar mindset would be bad?

People can talk about how the total number of missions you needed to complete were annoying for LDON, but the expansion as a whole was amazing and helped to foster the group game back then. You went to a camp and usually could find a group within 15 minutes because of pick up groups looking for more or looking to combine for a group to do an LDON mission.
  8. Treiln Augur

SoF zones are my go to for 70-80
    HAs for 80-90
    90-100 RoF or more HAs

My personal go to. I still like SoF zones such as Hills of Shade for early 80s. OGH has some nice quests and quest line rewards as well for gearing up.

So…go do that?…I don’t see the issue? You can max out your level and your AAs and gear in an expansions lifespan doing this. There’s groups forming all the time on FV for regular grind sessions, quests, missions.
  9. Treiln Augur

10. strongbus Augur

This was me I never said it be bad. I said if they wanted to get rid of the grind(just going to a zone and sitting in it killing names and trash) they go back to that model of a exp.(ie the only way to get xp in it is to do missions) I personal kinda like ldon.
  11. Tacoheals TACOBELL !!!!

Take a level 85 heroic SK and kill from 56-75 in DSH and Loping Planes, then take a level 100 Heroic SK and go from 70-80 in Underfoot, House of Thule, then once 80 can throw them into a group with a 110 and go from 80-90 then once 90 can group with 120.
    demi likes this.
  12. Allayna Augur

You can still go grind in a corner. In fact, this expansion has great AA experience per kill. Gearing up? Kill named in those zones, all of that is still possible. All the progression does is make the game easier to navigate.

The only things not *possible* without doing progression:

If you don't do the Shadow Haven progression you cannot *request* When One Door Closes.

If you don't *participate* in a win of When One Door Closes, you cannot click through the door into Deepshade, I'm pretty sure campfire and banners still work.

If you don't complete Deepshade progression, you cannot *open* the door into Darklight, however, anyone else on the whole server can open the door for you. I'm sure campfire and banner work to get you in as well.

If you don't complete all the progression, you won't get the highest group available progressive spell *ecliptic* line.

If you don't complete all the progression, you won't get a cool stat mount.

If you don't complete all the *faction*, you won't get the cool new defensive clicky or the new version of the melee tap clicky.

If you don't complete all the progression, you won't get the new familiar.

And finally, if you don't complete all the progression, and you want the new shiny cloak, it will stay at level 1 unable to evolve.
    Treiln and Tacoheals like this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Took me 4-5 hours today doing all of Shadow Haven partisans on mage/bard duo. And that was me lolligagging around, I am sure I could have shaved 60-90 minutes if I tried.

Stop complaining and just do it. If you are going to complain about five hours of game play, maybe EQ is no longer the game foelr you.
    Lubianx, Treiln, Tacoheals and 2 others like this.
  14. kizant Augur

The only way 100% skews things in the opposite direction is if you have a terrible group at launch. Besides, it's just an arbitrary number, it's a weird thing to get hung up on. Pick whatever value makes sense to allow for two more equal leveling paths.

People will also do progression regardless as long as there is a new item like the cloak or we have a replacement for luminous restless ice like we'll get next year. For alts it's already a good idea to wait and do quests/missions later on.
    Treiln likes this.
  15. Zunnoab Augur

Don't forget the devs are human. Some of the new devs are really engaging the players on the boards. There is a line between criticizing the task or decisions and being downright rude and mean.

Personally I think the task that has you wait an in game day (and rewards for it) or insist to continue right away is neat.
    Rijacki, Marton, Allayna and 2 others like this.
  16. Tappin Augur

The quest that 'Ever' is referring to is your character - the summation of your character's lifespan, not individual tasks and missions. The majority of EQ's lifespan has not been about flipping task and missions.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

I was just pointing out the absurdity of complaining about quests being a big deal in a game called EverQUEST. It made me laugh. As you point out, no one has to do any of these quests. But if you want the reward(s) locked behind them you do. It is a choice.
    Rijacki likes this.
  18. Tappin Augur

Or if you have to play, you can go do old content with new toons where 90% of the reward isn't locked behind un fun missions and tasks.
  19. Allayna Augur

Our definitions of majority must be different.

LDoN started the adventure window and it evolved from there to shared tasks and missions. I would say the majority of EQ's lifespan HAS been about flipping task and missions. LDoN was 24 expansions ago from current.
    Denyu, Rijacki, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  20. Tappin Augur

How many tasks and missions did you flip during the original run? How about RoK, SoV, SoL, and the list continues. Our definition aren't different, you seem to be trying make your point of view fit a narrative that really doesn't exist. No different than legacy media.

BTW those expansions hands down beat any modern content.