Fixed Internally Bag Slots not appearing with some custom UIs

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ssdar, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Ssdar Augur

This has been a problem for a few expansions now, but it has been getting worse with every expansion as more slots are added to the UI and is especially bad with people who pay for the Merchant's Perk. This is an issue for Custom UIs that feature a BigBank window that displays the bags open so the slots are visible all at once like the bank window featured here: Bags Open Bank or in the AYA UI.
    If you then try to open all your bags in your inventory at once, even if you don't have the bank window actually open, it only displays some of the slots. Currently on beta it opens the first 6 bags but the slots for the last 6 don't appear at all. It looks like this:
    [IMG]

I understand this is a limited issue for specific custom UI users and I'll likely get responses from players like "just use default" but there are a good number of us that still really enjoy the game using our custom UIs that have features added to the game long ago to tinker with and make the game look the way we prefer it and it would be really nice for us to be able to use these features we've grown accustomed to and still be able to open all our bags at once. I remember there being a bug post about this a few years ago but when I went to bump that one it seems to be gone so starting a fresh one. Thank you for your consideration on this issue!
    Drakah, GrandOpener, Justyse and 13 others like this.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's not a custom ui issue. It's a too many icons issue, and it's been a known problem for almost 10 years. I reported it in 2013, but afaik, they've tried to fix it and haven't been able to (yet).
    Duder, Justyse, Zunnoab and 1 other person like this.
  3. Adaire Lorekeeper

Aya been my favorite UI for years, and I am very much not alone, I get its not a UI issue, but since this is such a popular UI perhaps the devs could spend some time to fix this? I've noticed this on every beta I think for years...
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

While im admittedly not a hoarder, I can't reproduce that bug with the default UI. Opening all my bank-bags at the same time shows the correct content. But maybe it is because my bags are not all full on my character?

Another observation: When I try to change an icon for a hotbottun and list all the icons in the icon selection window(and make the window fill the whole screen), it still shows all the different icons without any issues. So the default UI has no problem showing many different icons at the same time.

Maybe showing many different items is a different issue? :confused:
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

With default, I can open 25 40+ slot bags before hitting the icon rendering limit.

I think I see the issue, I can open 9 bags before hitting the rendering issue with AYA loaded. The problem is AYA is showing WAY too many icons. Default UI is likely only loading on demand as certain elements are opened. AYA has lots of elements that force icon rendering in an un-supported format. My guess is the way the bank was created, it is missing certain window elements to force the slots, so it is always counted as being rendered even while the window is closed, because bank data is always loaded on the character. Default UI also looks different when it hits the limit, you can still see the slot and the count of items in that slot. You should bring this up with the UI author, those windows may have to get redone because of some past changes to XML support.

Also Bags Open that you linked hasnt been updated since 2018, I wouldn't be suprised if its no longer compatible with current UI support.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

Thinking about it some more, bankwnd may not be loaded on demand, even in default, it is always rendered in the background just hidden/shown. Bags would be rendered on demand. With rendering the bank like this, AYA has taken the icons rendered from 30 to 100s, so you are eternally at the icon rendering threshold, and going to have blank bags as long as you use that style bank.
    Ssdar likes this.
  7. Ssdar Augur

Yes, you have correctly summarized the issue. That's why I put in this bug report to request that the limit be raised or be told by a developer that it was not possible and that I would have to limit this style of bank to fewer slots or just deal with not being able to open all inventory bags at once, but if possible since the number seems fairly large already it would be nice if it could be increased if it's an arbitrary number and not limited by code restraints.
  8. Soulbanshee Augur

It's both an arbitrary number that was set as a code constraint, based on system performance at the time the graphics engine was developed.

If you can edit your OP, you never actually stated anything about increasing the item rendering limit, you pretty much just said "make AYA/Big Bank work".
  9. Ssdar Augur

Ahh yeah, after rereading the OP, you're right. I originally had written much more including the rendering limit and what I assumed to be the issue, but realized without knowing exactly how it worked on the backend it would likely be better if I just stuck to the raw, reproduceable facts than give them an essay of a bug report to read and I guess in that edit I removed that main request. Unfortunately I can't edit the OP any more so I'll just leave a like on your explanation and hope that helps. Thanks!
  10. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

This is not a custom UI or even bank issue (though AYA bigbank makes it show up sooner). You can reproduce it on default UI with a character with a lot of big bags (say, average size 42 slot or even less if the account has the extra bag perk) by opening them all with shift-B and then opening a stationary tradeskill container and going into experiment. With 6 44 slot and 4 42 slot bags I have slots in the last bag inaccessible with all open even without opening a stationary tradeskill container.

And yet they keep making more and more 44+ slot bags with each new expansion without addressing this.

Just mentioning clearly that you _can_ trigger this on default in the vain hope that it might get it looked at.
    Kendeth, Zunnoab and Ssdar like this.
  11. Ratalthor Developer

This is an issue we are aware of but have not been able to find a solution for. We have some potential UI improvements in the future planned that could address this issue. There is no ETA.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

10 bags total? What is your memory mode? I can open 25 40+ slot bags without losing any slots.
  13. Zunnoab Augur

Hotbar items and equipment slots might subtract from the total?

I'll try to experiment with memory mode. I have it on least for faster zoning.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Hotbar could be possible, regardless of equipment slots everyone would have those whether they use "Big Bank" UI mod or not. Balanced with default UI gets me 25 bags worth, with not many hotbar icons.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

When I hit my hotkey to open all bags, I don't see any slots for the last two bags, and just the first few for the bag before that (bag #8). If I open just those bags (8-10), I see everything fine, so nothing has been lost, it's just a display issue.

As a side note, I have a custom UI for the bank, where all 24 bags and the 6 shared bags are all in the same window. Total slots displayed is more than I have for my 10 inventory bags, but I see everything fine there.
    Angahran, Syylke_EMarr and Xalatan like this.
  16. phattoni Augur

this is an issue with the client that is not easily fixable, its a display limitation on icons, you are going over the limit on displayable icons.

some custom UIs work with all the icons and others dont, not sure why.

im not sure if it was a limitation at the time of coding the bag slots or lazy coding.
  17. FYAD Augur

it wasn't that way prior to the expac. Same amount of bag slots/icons as from ToL.
    Syylke_EMarr and Tatanka like this.
  18. phattoni Augur

not sure then, just remember someone posted this same bug report last week or week before. and this was the explanation that was posted.
  19. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Before the expansion I had only 5 missing slots in my 10th bag with all bags open. Now my 8th-10th bag are totally missing and 7th has 39 missing.

Also all slots on corpses can't be seen either which was not the case before expansion.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Echoing what @FYAD said, it was fine before NoS launched. No missing slots at all.

Based on the previous two posts, sounds like the issue has been there all along, and something associated with NoS launch made it worse. Apparently, I have just enough bag slots that I didn't see it before NoS launch, and now I do.

I have 372 bag slots in inventory, and have had that many for at least a couple months now. Perhaps if people responding to this thread posted their inventory bag slots, it might help the devs track down the issue.