Obscure Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Trebla7th, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Trebla7th Augur

What are your best obscure tricks in the game... things that are documented features (sort of), but many people don't seem to know about them. I'm curious to know some of the really cool features out there that have been lost and forgotten.

I'll start with a couple, but I don't think they're especially rare:

/waypoint

I only learned this one in the past few years, you can type "/waypoint <xloc>, <yloc>" and you'll get a marker on your map along with a "find" path (when possible), I guess this was added at some point in the past 10 years. Super useful, and about half the time when I give someone a waypoint, they say they didn't know it was a thing.

Voice tells

Think these were added when they added in-game voice chat, but under-utilized... especially if you're trying to tell someone something time-critical and they're afk. "/vt soandso 1" will send an audio tell to them using a pre-defined message. E.g., 1 = battle, 2 = agree, etc (those aren't the real ones, I don't know the actual mapping.

Can also use /vg and /vrs to send voice commands to group and raid respectively

Custom animation emotes

Most people know you can do "/emote acts crazy" and it'll display as "Soandso acts crazy" to everyone around you. But you can add an animation to your custom emotes using the "say" parameter after an animated emote.

For example "/dance say does the Macarena" will make my character do the /dance animation, while everyone around sees "Soandso does the Macarena"

So what else you got?
    Bienbonita, Duder, Winnowyl and 11 others like this.
  2. Shillingworth Augur

/note

Brings up a window you can punch plain text notes into.

/yell

Causes your character to yell for help which will give compass directions to anyone in earshot. Some raid MAs I played with in the past would use this in their call for assist keys.
  3. Mithra Augur

End key to move down while levitating, especially useful in water with characters autofollowing.
    Brontus, minimind, RPoo and 3 others like this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Bienbonita likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

A lot of quest walk thrus tell you what to say to the npc. If you cut and copy that then you can /say and control V so you don't have to type it all out. Handy when your running a couple characters thru the same thing.

I also like the map one mentioned in that link. In your map you can type the name of what your looking for in the upper search bar and if it was ever added to the map (which most everything is) then it pops up over on the left and you can click it and see where it is in the zone. Red X. Then you can right click X and it will make the path if possible.

One of the easy ones often overlooked is when using your find key you can click the top of the list and make it show the npc in alpha order which makes it much easier than scrolling thru all the other inhabitants in like POK
    eqgamer likes this.
  7. Freeke New Member

You can parcel stuff from the Item Find window.

Open the parcel window on a parcel delivery agent and select an item in the Item Find window (that you have on you) and you can parcel it without opening/searching your bags.
    Bienbonita, Zunnoab, Arkanny and 6 others like this.
  8. Shillingworth Augur

This applies to many of the list boxes in the game. Whether a list is sortable and what columns can be the sort criteria is configured in the UI XML files but there are only a handful of list boxes that have it disabled.
  9. Angahran Augur

If you could use this like the emote for a custom text that would be useful.

e.g.
    /yell everyone move

would display as
    Bob yells everyone move north-west
  10. Meeko Developer(Code)

One of my favorites I don't see too many people using is /viewport which allows you to shift the view of the game within the game's window.

/viewport x y width height scale

The x and y values are an offset from the top left corner of the window where the game view starts to get drawn. The width and height values are the size of the game view. Scale is optional and can be 0 or 1 to indicate whether the viewport should scale with window sizing.

This allows you to get a "clean" view of the world without your view being obscured from an opaque UI window or clouded by a translucent window. It helps to see what is going on in your surroundings (hint: raid auras).

/viewport 100 50 500 500 0
    [IMG]
    (I have my UI turned off, but it would be in the black areas and not cover the game view. )
    Ndaara, Laurana, Rolaque and 9 others like this.
  11. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No you can't... you must be using that special sauce software that adds functionality, that you're not supposed to use... Though this would be a nice thing to add.
  13. Sebbina Augur

Well here is one for Rogues, may be useful for those with Sneak skill to cut mob awareness. Have your mount - sneak- hide buttons together, be fast, click mount button and quickly sneak and hide. The rogue skills don't fail at 100+ skill, and you can travel at mount speed. At low levels being successful is questionable though starter halflings can do it. Combat breaks it and opening a NPC window breaks hide, to click off you have to dismount.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Well he is kinda right. After you do the search if you click "highlight item" then it opens the bag the item is in and since its highlighted you can just type in the person you want to send it to in the parcel screen.
  15. Xynia Apprentice

Higher numbered aug distillers will work for all lower augs so you can buy a stack of the highest numbered distillers to work on any aug you have ( that doesn't require perfected). Saves some annoyance when swapping out augs.
    Winnowyl, Cerryn, Annastasya and 2 others like this.
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That's not what he said though. He said without opening bags... highlight opens the bag and you have to click on it.

One cool thing though that I discovered while making sure I wasn't mistaken before replying... instead of selecting an item and clicking Highlight Item - you can just right click the item. It'll open the bag and highlight it.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  17. Paladin Augur

Yell is a short range thing however, like 100 Range.
  18. Paladin Augur

Interesting. Please explain the 5 number sequence, what each one represents / means?

I tries this and the image goes to the top left corner of my screen, under my UI (Hot Bar's etc.).

How would one reposition it?

Also, the rest of the screen goes black -- what good is the viewport if it is not really a viewport? I mean, is the rest of the screen goes black, then this is just a smaller version of the regular screen. I can change my view in the regular screen anyway (F9).
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

I want to see a dev's UI...
    Elyssanda and minimind like this.
  20. OldTimeNewbie Journeyman

The rest of the screen does not go black. It will continue to show your UI windows if you have positioned them in the black areas.

This might be the greatest thing I have ever seen in EQ!

Imagine that you have arranged all of your UI windows around the edges of the screen, so that you have a rectangular area left untouched in the middle. Normally, those UI windows will be covering up your view (transparency notwithstanding) so you can't see or click on parts of the view that are obstructed.

With this command, you can change it so that EQ moves and sizes what you would normally see on the full window into the viewport that you define. So nothing is covered up by your UI windows and you can see (and click!) on everything.

Honestly, these days 70% of my screen is text boxes, hotbars, buff windows, etc. I can now move my view of the world around exactly the same way as I would any other window.

As for the numbers: Just type /viewport with no parameters and you will see your current viewport settings and what each means. Important: /viewport reset resets to default in case you mess things up.
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.