/calendar times broken for timezones with no daylight savings time

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Koutarou_E'ci, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Management summary: The /calendar command attempts to convert timezones to local time. It is off by one hour when the US is in daylight savings time and you are in a local timezone that has no concept of daylight savings time. The /calendar window is currently showing the patch as starting 23:00 local time when it is actually going to start at 22:00.

How to reproduce: Set local timezone on PC to Japan, check /calendar for something with a known PDT time.
    Zaray likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am in the same time zone as the Game. So it should match times but

Announcement in forum

Wednesday, June 15th, 2022 at 6:00 AM PT

Announcement in Calendar:

Wednesday, June 15th, 2022 at 7:00 AM PT

Is calendar converting it incorrectly or is it just listed incorrectly as a different time?
  3. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Perhaps bugged for everything when in US DST. This is the second monthly patch in a row that shows as an incorrect time for me. If its broken for people in the US too I find it amazing that no one else has noticed it by now.
  4. Riou EQResource

Think the in game calendar for patches has always been treated as a suggestion that is likely right?

Don't think they actually update it past the default value and probably of course didn't take Daylight Savings Time into account
  5. Nilwean Elder

Yup, the entry says right on it that it is an approximation and time/date may vary.
  6. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

That's not an excuse for it being consistently wrong 6 months out of the year.
    Zaray and Nennius like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

It really should be updated to reflect reality.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Usually, programs that seek date/time information ask Windows the date and time and time zone. So, your Windows time zone (and whether you have set it for DST or not) is what they use.

I cannot know what EQ uses, but unless they seek to avoid people deliberately changing their Windows time in order to cheat, EQ should be asking Windows your time zone.

Make sure in Windows settings to look for Date & Time. Once you are at that, check settings such as Set time zone automatically, Time zone, and Adjust for daylight saving time automatically.

If your Windows is set how you want, then, in theory, EQ should be set to that.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

I agree, get rid of outdated daylight saving time. We all have a way to know what time it is, and are also capable of waking up at different times throughout the year as needed.

Sorry, rant over.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

My timezone has no DST. Its properly set to JST.
  11. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

This is still broken.

The /calendar entry for bonus XP showed it running until 4PM local time and it went away at 3PM on the dot.

Actually now I'm wondering if whatever front-end the person at Daybreak that's entering these into the game backend is using isn't properly handling daylight savings time at their end and is getting converted into wrong UCT times in the database.
  12. phattoni Augur

this may help explain this a little bit, while it probably should be fixed, this video will explain why its a monstrous task.

i dont really pay much attention to ingame calendar, was it correct at one point?
  13. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

It seems to be correct when US is in normal time and incorrect when US is in DST.
  14. phattoni Augur

i dont think its coded, which is why they had to manually unlock stuff last year.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I believe they now unlock maunally because it was coded before, and they had the year where the raids didn't unlock when they announced, and where off because of old code rounding errors and the like.
  16. BrickBrain99 New Member

I am Retired and live on Tulsa Time, I have 0 worries
    MasterMagnus likes this.