WTS taking over General Chat

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheebea, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Sheebea Augur

Is there a way to filter out chat that starts with WTS? I have run out of space for Ignore. It's going to be general chat off for me otherwise. WAY too many sellers in General.
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Been like that forever nothing new. Rather be people selling stuff than politics like it is sometimes.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Maybe what needs to happen is an alternative to advertising in /general. Like maybe a searchable bazaar (or dare I say auction house) that could handle those transactions.
    Bobohizan, Chikkin, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  4. Febb Augur

/leave General
    Rajaah, Coagagin, Paladin and 4 others like this.
  5. Alnitak Augur

Some "wts" offers are not sellable at bazaar. TaskAdds for example.
    I don't think that the problem is in the fact, that someone uses General chat for the offer. I think the problem is that some sellers abuse it with spam. And typically those sellers end up on ignore list.
    Meanwhile I never seen any sensible suggestion how to advertise a rare situation for a TaskAdd with some rare Achievement to let a broad audience to know it's available. Rare and valuable offer, limiting it to Bazaar's /ooc or /auction would miss alot of potential clients.
    So, we must rely on sellers understanding on what should and should not be advertised in General, and how frequently. Those who fail to understand it get ignored.
    Brees and Coagagin like this.
  6. Sheebea Augur

Aye /nod. What I wish to know is a Command that will block WTS
    daranged likes this.
  7. Sheebea Augur

I already said that in my post
  8. Sheebea Augur

Yes.It's those that spam multi-times /hr that I want to squelch out.
    Coagagin and daranged like this.
  9. Sheebea Augur

I'm calling you out Devs. It's a computer. There must be a way/command.
  10. Bernel Augur

They could add a /filterout command which would take a user-defined list of words and delete any chat which had those words in it. They already have a bad word filter that filters out specific words. This would be an extension of that which would just completely delete the chat line if it had any of the words in my list. I'd love this to autodelete all the crap about stuff like politics, crypto, global econmics, gas prices, etc. I could put whatever words I wanted and not have to worry about those discussions clogging up my chat. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would help greatly.
    Firaaf and Vumad like this.
  11. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Heck, even an /auction channel would be oh so helpful. Then players wouldn't need to use /general or /shout for selling but could use the channel specific for it so anyone who wants to hear that can join that channel.

(The excuse not to use the existing /auction channel is that not everyone joins it. Same reason some use /shout, they know players might have disabled all general channels.)
  12. code-zero Augur

I thought that you could right click a line and label it spam. Been a long time since I have joined general so I don't know for sure
  13. Flatchy Court Jester

I am just curious why the guys on BB general chat cant just start their own room or go to tells. Day in and Day out the same bunch of names are on there blathering useless garbage. To be honest I would rather hear someone selling TA because , well believe it or not some people use those to advance their characters or their alts. IT does something for me. Its game related. I could not care less about what you intend to have for dinner , nor do I want to read it. There is also some poor soul on BB That goes on forever to no one in general. That is what ignore is for and it does work nicely. Make another Chat channel called "Im bored and Lonely, please talk to me"!
    daranged likes this.
  14. Strawberry Augur

I am surprised there are people talking in general chat on your server to begin with. On most servers general chat is dead as a doorknob.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I take it you don't join general chat that often as I have seen plenty of complaints about the noise and quality of chat in those channels.
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Maybe your in the wrong chat? Wrong server? ;)

Sunday there were at least 2 general chat channels going on Tunare and the only way I knew that is that my box characters got signed into the other ones and could not see what was going on in general 1.

We do have a certain 2 players that always wtb krono. They are aware of the /ignore game and change their names every week or so. You know its the same players because of how they word it and present the message. So yeah, its a pain on those to hit ignore all the time they come up with a new name.

Same for that guy who keeps trying to sell that "Emerald doll of luclin" for the last 6 months. He has changed his name once or twice. Again he still uses the same hot key format so you can tell its the same guy.

But what gets me on him is that I have sold 2 of those dolls in the baz while he has been spamming chat and selling none.

I wonder if he does not have a paid character to run in the bazaar or he is asking too much. That could be the big reason a lot of these players are wts in general - they could be Silver and still be in general chat but Silver is not allowed to set up a trader.

That and the baz plat limit. Some of those players are asking Krono(s) for what they have. Overall I would not like to see an auction channel because no one would use it to sell because no one would be in it to buy stuff.

I think if it bothers a person that much then they should just leave the channel. Why bother being in there? What else is there in general that makes you stay?
    Genoane likes this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

What i do when it goes politics. Usually only go to general when i have stuff i wanna trade/sell. Bigger stuff like mounts illusions ect or krono's.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The people that ruin it for all are the ones that feel they need to WTS their item every 15 minutes. Some are ridiculous about it.
    daranged likes this.
  19. Moege Augur

Thats if you are lucky, people do it every 5-8 mins in my experience.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

Raise the bazaar cap from 2 million to something A LOT higher, and the general channels will clear up almost instantly. FV Krono are 7 mil a piece right now, imagine DBG making more money by selling more krono from their website. Imagine our raid gear being sold for more than 2 million in the current bazaar system, instead of spammed in general channels all day long. I don't join generals just because they are 90+% spam, but where else would one go to advertise they are selling something worth 2.1-40m plat?
    LesserArchi and Nudia like this.