The /camp command should have a "fast" option

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bernel, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Bernel Augur

It would be nice if the /camp command had a "fast" option which would automatically do a fast camp if you are in a zone where fast camping is allowed. If you're not in a fast-camp zone, then the option would be ignored. This would bypass the popup that comes up asking if you want to do a fast camp. Obviously not a big deal, but would be convenient if it's not too much trouble.

This suggestion is just to avoid having to click the fast camp popup. If you're in a zone where this popup doesn't show up when you camp, then the fast option wouldn't do anything. If you're in a normal zone, you'd still have to wait the 30 seconds regardless.

[IMG]

/camp fast
    /camp fast desktop
    /camp desktop fast
  2. Lumiens Augur

I just truebox myself to fast camp in any zone.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  3. Pappasalt Augur

EQ2 ftw? I tried to post you a picture of their log out screen but this forum is from 2005 or so soooooo it's rather limiting.
  4. error Augur

If you just want to fast camp to desktop there's always /quit
    Fenthen, Lineater and Stymie like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I understand /quit doesn't save things in a friendly manner like /camp so if you have things like UI changes made recently they won't be saved.
    Iyacc likes this.
  6. Iyacc Augur

Are we to the point where we're trying to fix things that aren't broken? /camp desktop works in safe places only. I'm not sure I see the benefit of a faster camp unless you're trying to swap accounts. I don't know if that's practical since that 30 seconds is probably there to safely do a disconnect from the game.

I mean, offline trade disconnects fast but that's in the bazaar which is a somewhat more controlled environment than other "safe" zones? And to get to that you've had to turn in /trader already which probably puts the data in a controlled state so transactions can take place?
  7. Bernel Augur

This isn't to make camp faster (although I wouldn't object to that :) ). It's to add a flag to skip having to click this popup:
    [IMG]

Obviously it's not a huge hassle to click the popup, but since we have the /camp command anyway, adding a "fast" flag seems like a natural addition. It wouldn't change the speed of camping. If you're in a non-safe zone, it would take 30 seconds either way. But in a safe zone, the command "/camp fast" would be like doing "/camp" and then clicking the popup.

I certainly realize the chance of this getting implemented is as small as a gnome, but a gnome can always hope.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

/camp desktop works in every zone and is not limited to any. I think you are thinking of fast camp which skips the countdown and is limited to non combat zones. Personally I think it would be a nice addition to type /camp fast desktop and have it camp out right away without having to click a popup box.
    Corydon and Iyacc like this.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

A few months ago, I suggested this idea for a new perk.

That said, I think fast camping (like exists in Plane of Knowledge) should be allowed for all starter towns/cities. Another MMO that shall not be named allows this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Horrible idea for a perk and is something that should either be available to all or to no one. I don't seem them changing the fast camp to work in any zone with combat enabled.
    Corydon likes this.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

You say it's a "horrible" idea for a perk but you don't provide any coherent rationale.

Perks are perks. You have to pay for them. Perks give you an advantage over other players for a fee. That's the nature of a perk. This is the business model of Daybreak Games that is keeping EverQuest alive.

Are you against the existing perks as well?
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, but the camp and fast camp ability are basically UI functions and should not be tied to paying more to camp out faster in a combat zone. Not to mention there are possible ways that players could take advantage of fast camp that are not intended.
    Corydon likes this.
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Faster camping in zones like Plane of Knowledge has been around for a long time. It's already part of the UI in EQ. Upon typing /camp, you have two options: 1) camp out immediately or 2) do nothing and your camped out in 30 seconds. At least for camping out in safe cities, it's more of a convenience factor than anything else.

[IMG]

Regarding camping in non-cities such as dungeons, a fast camp perk that takes 20 seconds to camp rather than 30 seconds is something I would definitely pay for. And yes, players would take advantage of this as they should which is the point of perks. It wouldn't break EQ either.

Scores of quality of life improvements have been added to EQ over the years and last I checked this venerable MMORPG is still going strong.

Let's not forget, outside of the universal Origin AA ability that takes 18 seconds to complete, that caster classes can gate out of any zone in a matter of seconds. Melee classes do not have this gate option unless they have super expensive gate potions. So having a Fast Camp perk would help equalize the gap between melee classes and caster classes.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am saying that a faster camp should not be a perk especially if it is something that as you suggest would only save you 10 seconds of camp time. If someone really needs to leave the game faster in a combat zone there are options that let them exit the game right away without waiting at all. A feature like this isn't something that people should be paying for at all and if they wanted us to have a faster camp time in any zone they could already provide it.

Also you shouldn't be basing a perk off the cast time of one gate option for some of the classes.
  15. Brildon Augur

I downvote this terrible idea. Current perks make general sense, changing to the camping function seems like a game change that'd apply to everyone. Otherwise while we are at it lets just make perks for everything... faster CDs, additional overhaste to go over 225%, hell why we are it... lets have a perk so you can zone faster then everyone else.
  16. Brontus EQ Player Activist

The purity horse is out of the barn and has run half-way across the county. That's why I completely embrace perks. Your examples are absurd. Despite your protestations, having a perk that shaves 10 seconds off camping from 30 seconds to 20 seconds would not break EverQuest.
  17. Brildon Augur

My examples are as absurd as your idea of paying to camp faster.
    Corydon, Waring_McMarrin and Nennius like this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Embracing perks is one thing but suggesting perks to shave a little time off camping because some classes don't have as many gate options is just bad. It isn't a matter of the idea breaking EQ but something that has no justification being a paid perk.
    Corydon and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Mt question:

If fast camp is reliable and works properly, why even have a NOT SO FAST camp option at all? Like what's the point of even having "slow" camp in fast camp zones where the chardat is cached with zone files to begin with?
    Bernel likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They don't want players to have a fast camp in combat zones to be used to get out of trouble. The 30 second time is there to prevent you from camping out to avoid death or other problems by leaving the game. It is the same reason why you stick around in game for a little bit after leaving the game by quitting instead of camping or going LD.

It is also nice to give people a chance to cancel the camp command if needed.
    Corydon likes this.