Robes you'll never see...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MasterMagnus, Aug 12, 2022.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thought I'd toss some pictures in while we're necroing threads.

These 3 were submissions made at the end (Mar 2019), and never reviewed before Player Studio was closed.

Sapphire Ruffle: (not to be confused with the Savoy Truffle)
    [IMG]

Djinni Cloak: (sorry this pic is so dark!)
    [IMG]

Padded Mvrmillo:
    [IMG]

These 5 were approved and entered into the game files (Feb 2018), you have them on your hard drive, but they've never been made available in the marketplace.

Long Tartan:
    [IMG]

Hooded Caster's Cloak:
    [IMG]

Forefather's Feathers:
    [IMG]

Geo Encasement Matrix: (ignore spelling on pic)
    [IMG]

Charming Vestments:
    [IMG]
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

But I see them ;)
    MasterMagnus and Jennre like this.
  3. Duder Augur

I think that it’s a good idea for the company to put an end to playerstudio contributions and to focus on making themselves income rather than the players so that the company may better maintain the game. This thread is less a “necroing” of material than it is a veiled attempt to garner player support to add these robes so that you may make more money from the playerstudio program. An advertisement.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  4. Agrun Apprentice

I'm sure DBG was getting their cut from any player studio sales. But apparently the sum aggregate of their take was not enough to justify the admin costs of running the program.
    Fenthen, Duder and minimind like this.
  5. Marton Augur

... the company may better maintain the game ... Player Studio closed its doors 6 years ago. I don't have the impression that the game is maintained better... (lag getting fixed when)

Anyway, I'm glad he posted those models. I always enjoyed looking at items players made for the game, robes, weapons, shields, housing and it was disappointing when the program was shut down.

I don't remember how the system worked, but I think daybreak got their cut?
    RPoo, Hobitses, Fenthen and 1 other person like this.
  6. KarmaKitty Augur

Bah! Can I unsee them ?
    Perhaps that is too harsh as a lot of work went into them. Just not something I would use.
    Would like to see night templar armor with chain skirt :p
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Being as they got rid of it, it wouldn't surprise me if they were losing money on it.

They paid the players to create the items for the marketplace, but most players were using their free station cash to purchase those items so there was no money in it for them.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

To many female skirts and non EQ based themes (scotish, native americans, psychedelic).
    The only one that I do like is the Charming Vestment because it has the classic EQ look and it does fit to the The Scars of Velious era and TBL. Would be a nice air or water elemental robe for a magician.
    Vumad and MasterMagnus like this.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wow, how could you all think this?

Daybreak and I still make steady money from the marketplace.
    -Free dbcoin earns nothing for anyone.
    -DB costs are subtracted before split.
    -DB gets 60% we get 40% (of actual profit).
    -After closing the program it's all pure profit for them now.
    -Sales have stayed steady after the decline from the SOE years.
    -DB can remove any or all of our items from the marketplace if they aren't earning (and they have done so).
    -I think some of you would be amazed how much they make from player studio items.
    RPoo, Hobitses, Fenthen and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vlad Diszno Augur

Though I was never into the armor ornaments, I was into the playerstudio housing items and occasional weapon/shield ornaments.

I guess they don’t see enough profit in creation of any new housing stuff, whether dgb or player made. Part of the decision could also be that those who used to deal with this kinda stuff aren’t there anymore and no one is left with enough knowledge to be efficient w/ it all.

I don’t know, all I know is that I miss playerstudio along w/ the love housing once got.
    Hobitses and MasterMagnus like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

They look pretty good to me. Shame they aren't available.
    Hobitses, Grove and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They are working on it. The latest test patch should improve lag, according to the patchnotes.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

I think it's safe to say that we all hope it actually helps.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  14. Duder Augur

-Free dbcoin earns nothing for anyone.
    Yep, so that is a moot point, yer grasping for straws

-DB costs are subtracted before split....and?

-DB gets 60% we get 40% (of actual profit).
    That is a huge share for the creator, you still have made over $150,000, right?

-After closing the program it's all pure profit for them now.Except for your cut.

-Sales have stayed steady after the decline from the SOE years.
    How does this contribute to you attempting to make a valid point? Haven't seen one yet.

-DB can remove any or all of our items from the marketplace if they aren't earning (and they have done so).
    Indeed, it'll suit them much better to phase PS studio items out in place of newly created ornaments, skins, textures, housing, accessories, etc. A lot more money for them when they dont have to worry about the playerstudio item bloat in the store.

-I think some of you would be amazed how much they make from player studio items.
    Could be 40% more. Certainly they would have to devote very significant hours over a significant period of time to replace the PS item bloat in the store, if not for that, I'd wager they would have.

Be grateful for what you have. And don't treat this community like they are stupid with threads like this where you attempt to stir the pot between players and devs to fulfil your personal agenda.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I'm not sure what bee got in your bonnet over player studio.

I'm on my cell and can't manage to respond as I'd like right now.

But I assure you, I will address each one of your points in detail when I'm home later tonight.
    Hobitses and Fenthen like this.
  16. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

They are very nice robes. I collect items off the Marketplace all the time, and I probably would have one of those robes on my wizard. I think the reason why they aren't in game is because the program is closed for you creators. And if they put that in the marketplace then the first natural thing you would want is credit and payment for your creation. So they probably left it out to be safe from being sued. Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong though.
    Hobitses and MasterMagnus like this.
  17. Duder Augur

The fact that you made a thread with veiled motive. If you want to promote your items, please, be my guest. But promote your items clearly then, not pit player vs devs to promote your items. I've seen the tactic used before on these boards as well. However, I don't know if it was by you or another PS creator so can't hold it against yah since Im not willing to look it up.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Grasping at straws? What on earth are you talking about?
    This was to address Yinla's comment.

This is completely wrong. Purchases made with free DBC don't make money for DB, no matter what you buy. And if no money is made by them, no money is paid to us Player Studio artists.

AND that means since their costs are paid before splitting, it's only ever PURE PROFIT for them.

Congrats you got one small portion of this right. It is an extremely generous split. And I have never said anything but that about it.

No I have not made over $150,000. If sales had stayed at the levels it was with SOE, yes I probably would have.

If you're remembering that number from a post I made, you may want to refresh your memory.

That wasn't me. A Player Studio artist did make over $150,000 in the first year of the program. That was from Camouflage patterns in PlanetSide 2

I do have camo's and other items in PS2, and every game they have ever offered the Player Studio program. But I'm not that awesome as many of the other Player Studio artists are.

WOW super big MATH FAIL for you. The line items above that you responded to explain that our cut is taken only from NET PROFIT after their costs are paid.

The valid point is Player Studio items keep making them steady PURE PROFIT, costing them nothing. It's all upside, and just keeps going.

It would "suit them better" to make less money? This seems like another math fail on your part.

"Item bloat" is not real my friend. The fact that they can remove any of our items, at any time, for any reason they choose, illuminates that THEY don't think it's too bloated. Or they'd just remove the bloat.

Again with the math fail. We only get 40% of the items we make, not the whole marketplace.

They don't have any robes like mine to sell you.

If you're worried about the money they're making, you can buy every color of the Frostfell robes they made.

If you're worried about me getting a cut of the profit from an item I made, don't buy it.

Luckily for DB and me, your attitude is not reflected within the community of people who play this game. They just keep buying my stuff, I'm quite surprised actually, I'd think it would reach a saturation point where everybody who wants robes have bought them. But no, people love them, you're attitude not withstanding.

They aren't adding these EVER. You won't ever see them in-game.

I'm not trying to strong arm them into putting them up. But if I was, how would that be a problem? And why would that be treating people here as stupid?

I'm proud of the work I did. They aren't great, I'm just a hobbyist. But I wanted them to be seen at least once by players.
    RPoo, Hobitses and Fenthen like this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thank you! that is very kind of you!

The reason they are not in the marketplace is, after a round of layoffs there was nobody left to perform the final steps to get them live in the marketplace (those which had been approved and entered in the game files).

They sat for years, then it was announced Nick Silva (Planet Side 2 employee) was supposed to run and revive the Player Studio program. We started submitting things again (the top 3 above). But 5 weeks after announcing a reboot they closed Player Studio without warning or any statement (except a note on EQ2 forums).

We still get paid for all our items in the marketplace, our contract gives DB a non-exclusive license to our works. We are paid royalties. The contract remains in effect through all the sales of the company etc.
    Marton, Hobitses and Fenthen like this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Vlad, you've always been one of Player Studio's greatest supporters. And I think I speak for all of us (as I'm the only one who posts any longer, Icesy stays informed but probably has better things to do than post here).

We greatly appreciate you!
    Marton, Hobitses and Fenthen like this.