hDex vs hStr vs hDex/hStr for Rogues

Discussion in 'Melee' started by I_Luv_Foraging, Jul 31, 2022.

1. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

I have been away for a few years and have recently come back to an interesting conversation. Heroic stats for a rogue. Which is best? When I stepped away, it was full hDex, though some argued for full hStr. Now the conversation seems to be about a hybrid hDex/hStr build. So, of course, I have some questions:
    1. What is the benefit of going either full hDex or full hStr?
    2. What is the point of diminishing returns on a full hDex or full hStr? (meaning, for instance, a full hDex build is for procs and critical hit chance from my understanding. At what point do you reach the "cap" on proc rates and critical hit chances?)
    3. If hybrid is the way to go, how should it be balanced?
    4. What should I try to attain (group status-wise) for any of the recommended stat builds at 120?
  2. p2aa Augur

Until you haven't reached 100 % crit rate, i would focus on HDex only.
    And, as a rogue, you will need like 4 000 HDex to probably come closer to a 100 % crit rate all the time.
    Hobitses and minimind like this.
  3. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

What about group buffed dex at over 4K (2913 (regular dex) + 2797 (hDex))? Would that get you close to the max crit rate, or that that reliant only on hDex (putting total buffed dex at over 6K)?
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's specifically hDEX that needs to be that high (though I'm not sure on the exact number, or if 4000 is it). For group level, you're probably looking at pure hDEX for awhile.
    Hobitses and code-zero like this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Yeah I parsed this for my warrior in the group game of ToL. Even though I sometimes was getting full crits with shaman epic, cry carnage, Circle of Power etc, I spent enough time not critical hitting that I stuck with hDex.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

Alright, thanks for the answers everyone :)
  7. Sancus Augur

The dexterity numbers displayed in your inventory can be a bit confusing. In the Stats tab, your normal Dexterity, your normal Dexterity cap, and your Heroic Dexterity are displayed like so:

[IMG]

Dexterity past the cap (in my case, 1160) does nothing. On your inventory tab, the "DEX" number displayed is the sum of A) the lesser of your normal dexterity or dexterity cap and B) your Heroic Dexterity. In my case this is 1,160 + 1,479, which sums to the 2,639 displayed below (on the Inventory tab):

[IMG]

I prefer to think about them separately, but ultimately for most max level characters your critical chance is determined by the sum of your dexterity cap and heroic dexterity (along with SPA 169 modifiers).

I have a post walking through melee critical chance here, but it's probably easier to look at this spreadsheet that some people (Szilent and Lilbraen?) put together.
    Hobitses and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  8. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

Ok Sancus, thank you for the links :)
  9. Tucoh Augur

Thanks for the spreadsheet link, I've never seen that before.

Hmmmmmmm this spreadsheet indicates that SPA169 (Enchanter haste, Cry Carnage, Auspice, Shaman epic) doesn't stack. I thought SPA169 stacked if not in the same slot???
  10. Cadira Augur

Think I parsed it a couple years ago, def didn't seem to stack sadly.
  11. Sancus Augur

Hobitses and Tucoh like this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Thanks for the correction!
  13. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

OK, still in a "discussion" with someone about this. Their logic is that the additional damage and offensive from hStr will offset the loss in crit rate by going hDex/hStr hybrid. Thoughts on this?
  14. DaciksBB Augur

Mob AC hasn't been high since TDS, I doubt that the extra damage bonus is going to offset any damage you lose before 100% crit rate...this coming from someone who ran 60/40 strength/dex for years
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Peter_The_great Elder

Game is simple, all fighter shall use hDEX.

Tough part is.. raid gear that matters.. PTW-deluxe..

You pay premium price.. and you can't get the raid gear cuz its to hard.. game is so bad. And fun part is.. not even tier 3 is simple to get in TBL, ToV, CoV, ToL.. you need a really good group, and lets face it.. most player online is 10.. yay!
  16. Peter_The_great Elder

Remember, the procentige in this game does not add up at all.. 100% kan be 100% from 1 then 2 all the way to....... 2 its 100%!

I mean.. if the percentages really did add up, we actually would do some good DPS.
  17. I_Luv_Foraging Journeyman

How exactly does hStr get calculated? Is it a number added to the end of the damage calculation, or is it part of the calculation? (Not trying to argue in favor of hStr, just wanting to understand how it works).
  18. DaciksBB Augur

It's a flat +1 damage bonus/10 hStr added at the end of each hit if I'm remembering correctly
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Ted the Mechanic Journeyman

Not throwing shade at Hdex, but because most folks can't be bothered to know where their Hdex caps most just go overboard. Just remember Hstr raises atk power cap, meaning you hit harder, with both crits and non crits. It is still a stat you want lots of and always has been.
  20. Tucoh Augur

What do you think the impact of heroic strength is on damage interval rolls while raid buffed?

I've always kind of figured that all the attack buffs you can get saturate that component of DI rolls that I've never considered hSTR for that benefit.