Windowed gameplay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

o_O
    What do you imagine people did that had a problem logging in? Do you think they just quit the game without checking forum or discord or the website help faq? Thats just ridiculous. When people had an issue logging in they came to the forum to complain. Thats when you tell them to try logging in windowed.
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you expect them to do a lot of research in order to play a 20+ year old game. From a developer perspective it is much better to prevent a bug that keeps people from using your application then to make a change that changes how people launch your application. There are many more players who don't know about the forums then who do.

Either they don't make a change and some keep experiencing a bug that prevents them from playing or they make a change and some have to chose to swap over to windowed mode or change back to full screen when they play EQ.
  3. Gnomie Denser than most

As much as I love having to hit Alt+Enter to go full screen EVERY time I play now, or risk having to rebuild my entire UI because of janky programming, I have to wonder if there was a reason to this change?

It's not often a clunky non-user friendly change with zero purpose is implemented with the only obvious reason to annoy the player base.

I've been doing the same routine for 20+ years, and now having to manually force full screen before logging in is killing this for me. I've logged in with my UI a complete mess more times than I can count since this change...and it's really starting to get annoying.
    Stymie, Brontus and Ranger Dave like this.
  4. TheAgenda Augur

Nennius likes this.
  5. Gnomie Denser than most

6. Helloitsme New Member

It makes just no sense, it's so annoying on every level.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  7. Krowbar Apprentice

Alt + Enter works fine for me.
    Hobitses likes this.
  8. Juzam_Djinn Elder

I really cannot fathom how people would play this game in anything but windowed mode in the year 2022.
    Nennius and code-zero like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It works fine, until the day you forget. :mad:

Forgotten twice already. :rolleyes:
    Stymie and Aenvar like this.
  10. Shillingworth Augur

It was to address the problem of some graphics drivers not supporting the 640x480 default resolution a fresh install booted up to. Why someone decided to put it as a check every time the game runs is beyond all comprehension. I mean seriously, was any thought at all spent on potential side effects.
  11. code-zero Augur

What exactly is the advantage of running full screen? Seriously, I don't get it
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

People just like it better that way.
    Elyssanda and Skrab like this.
  13. Kragin011 New Member

Alt-enter resetting my ui every time, very frustrating.

Please revert =\
    Aenvar likes this.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It’s in your question: Full Screen. No taskbar, no window border. Think about it how many games do you play in a bordered window mode?

Personally, I can’t think of any other than EQ (thank god for IzBxr and windows layout options).

It’s pretty embarrassing EQ doesn’t offer a border-less window setting.
    Stymie, Metanis, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  15. Xanbar Augur

They might be better served going big on water. Things are not looking up in that regard.

Have heard that Canada has 1/7th of the worlds fresh water. Perhaps they should start making contacts now.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Xanbar Augur

17. Shillingworth Augur

It depends from one machine to another but some hardware still benefits greatly from running in fullscreen mode. My graphics card is like that in Windows, fullscreen will often give 10x the framerate as windowed. In Linux however different story, the Linux drivers (both vendor and mesa) are still actively updated and as such got the patches to address window mode performance being lower than fullscreen.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Introducing Crypto Water!!! Like crypto currency, it has no actual value. Buy now!
  19. Brontus EQ Player Activist

What Daybreak did was very annoying. I have to continually press ALT + Enter to get full screen mode to return.

Why was this change done?

Were the players even consulted?
    Aenvar likes this.
  20. Koshk Augur

[IMG]
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Nennius like this.