Movement What is your favorite bind(s)?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aenoan, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Aenoan Augur

Bored, so why not.
    I ran RDGF for awhile when I started playing more games with WADS movement.
    Right now and probably for the last decade or so, I have been running QWES. It changed when I started using more MMO mice/got more comfortable with certain modifiers.
    But since I stopped playing FPS games other than occasionally I play CoD because its easiest FPS on the market and so great for older gamers. #shotsfired

Anyway thinking about maybe going back to WADS. Kinda feel like QE are going to end up being nicer keybinds in my old age.
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

WASD, due to quake
    WASD, due to warcraft

I know quite a few coders who enjoy ESDF due to a more natural typing setting or what I'm told.

Still remember WADX with S as crouch.
  3. Dijalin New Member

Eww, you guys are keyboard turners?
  4. Gheed Is not reading your response

You can bind A and D to left/right strafe instead of turn.
    Appren likes this.
  5. Aenoan Augur

When I played Quake and source, I could be wrong, I but I actually think I used QWE then too, because iirc the default was QWEASD. QE was strafe and AD was for turning. It's been too long so I can't be certain, I know when I played WoW when it first came out. I was QWE, I did a lot of world pvp and arenas and it was pretty common place to strafe to pillar. I was used to using a mouse for movement (Ultima Online). I never ever used backpedal, I just set my camera so I could turn around fast.
    But then I started PvEing more had to get used to backpedal for positioning.

RDGF was nice for me it opened a lot of key binds without modifiers for me. But later I just got more creative with my binds and I ended up going back to QWES for movement
  6. LeetKronolord Journeyman

WASD since Half Life. Anything is fine as long as you can hit the ctrl and shift keys easily.

In most games there is an option where you can rebind keys. It's pretty neat you should try it. You press Q to autoattack on your mage ?
    Gheed likes this.
  7. Aenoan Augur

I almost never used ctrl anymore. I used it for maybe 5 or 6 keys but it depends on the game. That's almost exclusively in WoW for arena focus kicks/fears.
    As long as you perform your role, people can do whatever. I don't think it matters at all.
    But in EQ I turn, I don't strafe. I've seen no reason to do so. In other games, plenty. But when that time comes I'll just switch but as a shaman...meh.
  8. jeskola pheerie

RESP and augment that with ECT
  9. A_ranger001 Journeyman

ASDF have been my movement keys since I first started playing FPS.
  10. LeetKronolord Journeyman

There are absolutely no reasons at all to keyboard turn, none. There are plenty of reason to strafe, first and foremost it allow you to keep your camera focused on the action while moving your character to the left or the right. But it's classic EQ where you hide behind a wall 99% of the time so yes, you can live like that.

There are a lot of Ctrl+ (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X, ...) that are naturals shortcut for almost every PC users and you don't need their default behavior in a video game. It also easily enable one more keybind per mouse button you have.
  11. TLP Addict Augur

I run a G13 with the crappy thumbstick replaced with one from a PS3 controller.

Lots of G keys to bind whatever I want and use the joystick combined with right mouse held to strafe around as necessary.

Keyboard is mostly only used for typing in chat, everything else is G13 + Mouse
  12. Aenoan Augur

It depends on what I am doing. I run ctrl+A - F and Z to V (sometimes B but not so much, if I playing CoD its my alternate fire button, to switch between semi and full auto or single shots)
    Shift is my primary modifier.
    I use a lot of 3 key combos for stuff in games, eg. alt+shift+z hides my UI for screenshots, alt+shift+x opens my menu bar in EQ (window selector or w/e) alt+shift+q is my mount in all games and ` (tilde) is my self target, I've used that since my Ultima days to self bandage or self cast cures/heals.
    Capslock is my auto attack in game (EQ), if it's WoW its usually chains of ice or hamstring if I am playing my DK or Warrior or Frost Nova on my mage.

Side note, if I need to strafe, I just hold the mouse button down and tap whatever direction I need to peak if I am trying to avoid any AoEs in EQ. So I am less inclined to have dedicated keys for it, and its never caused me to perform less.

I had those. But I recently switched to Steelseries Rival 5 for a mouse, I don't love my thumb button (grey trigger) so I use it as my new push to talk.
  13. TLP Addict Augur

I don't think I could ever play an MMO with just KB/M again, I've had the G13 for like 10 years give or take, when it packs it in ill be buying whatever the modern equivalent is.
  14. Tucoh Augur

WASD.

My keybinds in EQ are pretty cray. I heavily use my G600's keybinds and the bindings only available on the G-Shift key, so 24 keys for just my right thumb.

[IMG]
  15. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I use a mouse with a 12 button keypad on the side also.

1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9
    0 1 2

5 - jump & cast interrupt
    7 - inv
    8 - autorun
    9 - map
    10 - strafe left
    11 - back
    12 - strafe right

Combined with mouse look I can pilot myself easily around with just the mouse
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

M1+M2 to move in eq nearly 100% of the time. If I need to strafe I use the arrow keys. I realize this is barbarism but when I first started EQ in '99 I had "A" bound to autoattack, and "S" to sit and I've never changed these binds in 23 years.

I do use WASD in every other game though, I'm not a complete sociopath.
    Stymie likes this.
  17. Aenoan Augur

MONSTER!
    But I hear ya I actually did something similar when I first started. F was fear and G was for greater heal and h was for heal etc. That was a bit more EQ though.
  18. Midnitewolf Augur

Well just checking out QWES and one thing that I noticed right off the bat is that it is easier for me to move my middle finger up to the W key in the WASD binding than it is to move my middle finger back to the S key in the QWES. That might be the reason WASD became the standard. However it does give you better access to more keys for various bindings.
  19. Aenoan Augur

I am confused W and S for forward and backwards (back pedal) is the same in WASD as it is in QWES, the only difference is A and D are now freed up if you use strafe often (which is default in 100% of the game as Q and E).
    I've opted to stay with the QWES format because tend to favor using the mouse movement more than keyboard, in theory I think I could comfortable remove keyboard completely leaving just strafe/turn binds.

When I started UO back in 1997/1998 ish it was entirely mouse movement. So it's something not completely foreign to me.

The nice thing about having QWE as movement is I didn't use 1 - 0 very often. Most low impact abilities like in EQ terms such as DA or Harmshield were used there. But high impact spells like taunt or yalp would be in my core buttons which was ASDFG and ZXCVB that was basically my entire rotation. 8 buttons in a small area for high APM classes it was a god send. Now I've swapped S out of my rotation and its walk backwards again, and R is now my rotation button. So I can back pedal / walk backwards for micro movements in raids for WoW/FFXIV.
  20. Appren Gnomercy

WASD (with strafe)